Head Coach candidate: Rex Ryan

YoloinOhio

Top eight offenses in the NFL this year? The majority of those teams have head coaches who are former defensive coordinators.

One of the greatest offensive minds in the history of the NFL was a defensive guy when hired. Previous to being hired he had been a DB and player/DC for the New York Giants. HOF Tom Landry.

When hiring a HC this whole offensive/defensive guy thing is overblown. How can a guy be a good defensive coach if he doesn't understand offense very well and vice versa?

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top eight offenses in the NFL this year? The majority of those teams have head coaches who are former defensive coordinators.

Do they also have talented OC's???

Looking at the NYETS these past 5 years I don't see Rex hiring a GOOD OC. that 5 year history proves that's not his strong suit

oh and statistically... I have doubts that the statement about those 8 teams is in actuality the best.

list the reams and then list their opponents defensive rankings.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/seasontype/2

Top offenses in Net Total Yards Leaders - NO, Pitt, Indy, Denver, Philly, GB Dallas and Atlanta

http://espn.go.com/nfl/statistics/team/_/stat/total/position/defense/seasontype/2

Top defense in Net Total Yards Leaders - Seattle, Detroit, Denver, Buff, SF, Jets[?], KC and Baltimore

Sorry, I can't buy into your argument

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Rex HC and Sanchez QB works for me

How much though was the defense success about the players versus the coach? I liked Schwartz most of the year, but when Dareus went down in the raiders game and we couldn't adjust I started questioning Schwartz value.

Methinks our talent on D would do just fine with Rex at the helm and a DC he hires, assuming Schwartz doesn't stay on

Yes, but the very next game, the Bills switched to a 3-4 with Kyle Williams as the nose tackle and they did very well. That would have been one hell of an in game decision to change the defensive front like that. He recovered but expecting him to do so in game like that is kind of ask a lot.

Rex will take the Atlanta job IMO

I'm not so sure. Rex really likes the players on this team. Loves Sammy.

Rex will take the Atlanta job IMO

It's probably the best job. They have a very good QB AND a cupcake division.

But knowing how Rex operates, the chance to stick it to the Jets and continue to try to take down Belichick might appeal to him just as much.

Edited by TheFunPolice

One of the greatest offensive minds in the history of the NFL was a defensive guy when hired. Previous to being hired he had been a DB and player/DC for the New York Giants. HOF Tom Landry.

When hiring a HC this whole offensive/defensive guy thing is overblown. How can a guy be a good defensive coach if he doesn't understand offense very well and vice versa?

On the opposite side is Juan Castillo. Career offensive coach. Eagles made him defensive coordinator a few years ago and everyone said "what?!?!?". It was a horrible trainwreck and he was fired after the season.

Any coach worth his salt and with options would feel the same way.

We're in a bind and it's going to be tough to get out of it.

Whaley should lose his job over this mess, but he isn't going to.

By "this mess", do you mean the first winning season in over a decade? Or maybe you mean the top 4 defense which is loaded and young and has his fingerprints all over the personnel? Or maybe you mean the duo of young stud WRs in Woods and Sammy whom any QB would love to throw the ball to?

Short-sightedness is spreading like the flu around here! :)

This smells like another BS rumour, why bring in a guy for a interview if you do not think he would want your job.You

look like chumps and I do not believe Terry likes looking like a chump.The story is garbage

I had the same feeling.

I also have the impression that Rex is not the kind of guy who backs down from a challenge whether it be the QB situation or the New England Patriots.

I also think that he would absolutely love to face the Jets twice a year.

Not sure the Bills source is going talk about how they think there situation sucks, this is another agent for one of the other losers they interviewed that knows Rex is the best guy for the job.

With current personell and re-signing Spikes and Searcy, the defense would look like:

Williams-Williams-Dareus

Bradham-Spikes-Brown-Alonso

Gilmore-McKelvin (Graham)

Williams-Searcy

Would most likely let Hughes walk. Mario may move to OLB position he left Houston because of and we'd need to find a true NT to replace Kyle. Also would need another DE fit or the 3-4 scheme to start. The linebackers look good for Rex but that's a lot of change on a unit that doesn't need it.

You have no problem with Gilmore and McKelvin? Watch them play.

This smells like another BS rumour, why bring in a guy for a interview if you do not think he would want your job.You

look like chumps and I do not believe Terry likes looking like a chump.The story is garbage

I agree that it sounds like Florio was trying to hit his daily tweet quota with that one. It could be assumed that Rex wants to walk in to a situation with a franchise QB, but I don't know why that is news.

You know what's a great idea when you've got most everything going right, but one thing isn't right? Blowing up like a toddler and setting everything on fire.

Or not.

Right now, Manuel is a below average qb. There's a pretty decent chance he stays that way. Matt Ryan is above average and near-elite. Most coaches with choices would take Atlanta.

You have no problem with Gilmore and McKelvin? Watch them play.

Gilmore was fantastic in the second half of this season and in the last four games of last season after his arm healed.