Minority coaching interview

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? Whaley's track record is racist because he hasn't hired a minority head coach? Come on Jauronimo, I've been reading your posts for a while and I know you understand that professional football is a meritocracy. Doug Whaley, or any other NFL general manager for that matter, is going to hire the candidate he sees as the best candidate to build a winner and therefore ensure stability for the organization and said general manager. Calling his track record racist is a bit inflammatory.

I think that you've got a live one on the hook Jauronimo...

I don't like guys who show no emotion on the sidelines. He really reminds me of Dick Jauron. No thanks.

He's a really good choice. Tough guy. Street cred. Delegator.

Plus, unlike our last coach, he knows you never go full retard.

Really? Whaley's track record is racist because he hasn't hired a minority head coach? Come on Jauronimo, I've been reading your posts for a while and I know you understand that professional football is a meritocracy. Doug Whaley, or any other NFL general manager for that matter, is going to hire the candidate he sees as the best candidate to build a winner and therefore ensure stability for the organization and said general manager. Calling his track record racist is a bit inflammatory.

Doug Whaley doesn't care about black people.

I've never been a fan of the Rooney Rule but if the NFL is intent on keeping it, there are two changes that I'd like to see made

Filling the position from within the organization. Internal interviews should trump any external candidates. For example if the Bills are interested in promoting Schwartz or any other coaches already on staff to HC. Or if the Raiders want to promote Tony Sporano from Interim to full HC

Teams should be able to privately submit a preferred external candidate to the League office. Like when the Redskins hired Shannahan or the Titans hired Fisher. It was a foregone conclusion and the Rooney Rule interviews were only for show

Edited by /dev/null

I've never been a fan of the Rooney Rule but if the NFL is intent on keeping it, there are two changes that I'd like to see made

Filling the position from within the organization. Internal interviews should trump any external candidates. For example if the Bills are interested in promoting Schwartz or any other coaches already on staff to HC. Or if the Raiders want to promote Tony Sporano from Interim to full HC

Teams should be able to privately submit a preferred external candidate to the League office. Like when the Redskins hired Shannahan or the Titans hired Fisher. It was a foregone conclusion and the Rooney Rule interviews were only for show

I like where your heads at. This is interesting that internal candidates can be excluded.

The Rooney rule was designed to make sure that minority candidates got a shot. In many cases it is a token interview. There are enough qualified minority candidates (specifically Bowles & Jackson) that they don't need that nonsense. There could be a rule in place to keep guys like Pepper moving forward but the quality of their work should stand on its on merits. Pepper is a legit D coordinator candidate not because he is a minority but because he is a good coach.

Edited by Kirby Jackson

The Rooney Rule also has 2 other purposes.

- To give candidates interview experience. To help them self-assess for later, when they become more serious candidates.

- To give truly qualified guys a shot to prove it. See:, Tomlin, Mike.

Edited by maddenboy

Interesting,I for some reason thought internal promotions did exclude the Rooney rule. because as I now know,the way it is set now it's a farce if promoting say Scwartz is the plan. Actually insulting to the minority candidate and he knows it.

Even then the Rooney Rule works because it gives the minority candidate invaluable interview experience even though the final decision was a foregone conclusion.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Sounds like the Bills are legitimately interested in Hue Jackson. Interviewing him will satisfy the Rooney Rule.

I am actually pretty high on Hue Jackson. He has really worked his way up through the ranks and has put together a pretty impressive resume. He was a running backs coach under Schottenheimer, the receivers coach in Cincinatti with Ochocinco and Houshmandzadeh, and a Qb coach in Baltimore for Flacco's first two years. In 2010 he took the Raiders to 8-8, finishing 2nd in rushing, 6th in scoring, and 10th in total offense - with average talent and splitting QB duties between Jason Campbell and Bruce Gradkowski. Last year the Bengals were 10th in total offense and 6th in scoring, and this year they were 6th in rushing, 15th in total offense, and 15th in scoring - all with Andy Dalton at QB who, IMO, is average at best.

I like th efact he has been successful without a franchise QB...unlike Gase and McDaniels....