Bills may be in the worst bind ever

Yes, they have a younger, richer owner now and they won nine games, but how do they escape from this coaching/FO nightmare?

1. QB quits and our first-rounder got little experience this year.

2. Coach quit, walking away with $4mil for doing nothing, an embarrassment to the club if not the entire city. (Late night comics saying: how do you fire someone in Buffalo, NY? Answer: Give him $4mil."

3. Polian turns down the job of King Bill.

4. Schwartz probably walks if he doesn;t get the HC job (and if he does, we get a guy who was a poor HC

and lose a good DC)

5. Our GM is looking really bad and may not survive. He made a desperate a move at the draft

and now has no first-round pick in '15. His HC has disrespected him in public during the entire 2014 season. He looks weak.

6. We have a rookie owner unfamiliar with NFL workings and football in general who has to dig his way out from under a giant pile of shale.

On the good side, we got rid of Marrone, Orton and hopefully Hackett.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now is the time for calm. Go through the process and get the right people in place. This could be an opportunity and not a catastrophe if handled properly.

EXACTLY. Some folks just don't do change well. This is a golden opporunity for the Bills to get out from under a middling coach, who has done some good things, but far more baffling things.

A team that was in a very similar position to the post-2014 Bills. I give you the post-2011 Titans:

2011 Tennessee Titans. 9-7 with Hasselbeck at QB. 8th ranked scoring defense, 21st ranked scoring offense. Everyone excited about the move to Jake Locker the next season. Top 10 defense, more athleticism/youth at QB, reason for optimism.

2012: Rough transition to Locker, but still 21st in offense. Defense collapses: lowest rated in the NFL.

2013: Locker shows great improvement but misses 7 games (Fitzy starts). Defense rebounds to 16th ranked. Reason for optimism.

2014: Full collapse. Total rebuild mode.

I'm not saying that's the path we'll follow. I certainly hope not. But the "a few tweaks here and a few tweaks there, and this team will be ready to compete in the playoffs" concept is one of the most dangerous ideas out there. In the NFL being a team on the rise is fleeting. Right now I see a team that either makes big moves to improve right now, or the most competitive Bills team in recent memory will be seen only in the rear view mirror.

Yeah, I don't know. Owner gets an opportunity to bring in his guys and run the ship his way. Everybody needs to get on the same page. Obvious Marrone wasn't. I like Whaley - a lot. It's easy to second guess everything in hindsight. But given what he knew at the time, I think he made the right call.

There are gonna be some adequate QBs available this off season in FA and trade. What scares me is the O-line. Hopefully we can fix the interior enough to give a QB more than 2 secs. We also need someone mobile *and* accurate.

C

Yeah, I don't know. Owner gets an opportunity to bring in his guys and run the ship his way. Everybody needs to get on the same page. Obvious Marrone wasn't. I like Whaley - a lot. It's easy to second guess everything in hindsight. But given what he knew at the time, I think he made the right call.

There are gonna be some adequate QBs available this off season in FA and trade. What scares me is the O-line. Hopefully we can fix the interior enough to give a QB more than 2 secs. We also need someone mobile *and* accurate.

C

I'm not at all worried about Marrone leaving. I see nothing that suggests he got more out of our talent than any other decent coach would have. But I am very concerned about the QB situation. Even with Orton on the roster we could assume that the worst we would do is a reasonably competent QB somewhere in the 25th-30th best starting QB range. There's a huge gap between that and, say, Ryan Lindley (to use an example of how really poor QB play destroys even clear playoff quality teams)