Has Marrone's credibility as a Head Coach taken a hit?

gjv001

Here comes Breer-

@AlbertBreer: Marrone grew a rep in Buffalo as a complainer -- And his dissatisfaction with the talent there created some friction with personnel people.

@AlbertBreer: Reported last week on the text-message departure, which revealed previous issues with players. Marrone's a good coach. But comes w/strings.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, I searched again and found some "Falcons have interviewed..." along with a report that in the Jets interview Marrone "failed to close the deal"

See, here's the thing, if he'd just left the Bills and kept his mouth shut, especially if he left in a best-behaved "thank you for the opportunity" kind of way, I think it would have been fine. But trashing the Bills org in a way that got into National media opened the door for "return fire". And the return fire opens a different perspective which raises questions. If he doesn't handle the questions right in the interview, that does damage his credibility because all these guys in the different FOs know each other and talk to each other, the players talk, etc etc.

Have to wonder if the reason he may not have closed the deal with the Jets was his fumbling, bumbling, stammering , etc. response to the following question: Why would it be in our best interests to hire someone who abandons ship via a mere text? Care to elaborate on that?

What is lost in all this aftermath is a very basic question - if Marrone was known as an egomaniac, abrasive, control freak then why didn't the Bills due diligence not bring this to light ? I am leaning towards the thought that perhaps it was turned up and it was Brandon's love for him which chose to hide that information. Many of the opinions surfacing are painting a picture of him that pre-dates the Bills. The Bills FO is much as fault for ignoring these red flags and hiring him anyway.

Not only did they fail to see the red flags, as recently as two weeks ago, Brandon was touting Marrone as the guy who changed the Bills' culture, presumably for the better, while many of us recognized him all along for the mediocrity that he is. Edited by mannc

Great stuff. Thanks, Lurker. After people read it, look at the exact words of the quotes from each of the people involved, Marrone, Brandon and Whaley. They are very telling and I think perfectly reflect the kind of people they are.

Marrone -- blunt, unapologetic, stubborn

Brandon -- salesman

Whaley -- calm, focused, strategic

I know which of the three I'd like to keep around

OMG, I laughed until I choked.

I'm sure this sort of thing actually wins him a bit of sympathy with FO - anyone in the public eye understands how easy it is to slander someone electronically these days. But again...if Marrone had been at pains to leave the Bills in a best-managed way and been nothing but positive on the way out, would this be happening?

The Hoodie and Mad Martz only got to act like arrogant douches AFTER they coached on superbowl winning teams.

Not only did they fail to see the red flags, as recently as two weeks ago, Brandon was touting Marrone as the guy who changed the Bills' culture, presumably for the better, while many of us recognized him all along for the mediocrity that he is.

Good point. How Brandon and/or Marrone think Marrone is responsible for changing the culture in the Bills locker room escapes me. Until Jim Schwartz and his All Pro defense emerged this season the Bills could have been simply blown out by even weaker opponents. Toss in the timely contributions of the ST's unit and its no wonder why the Bills fortunes are turning. Can only image if the Bills had more than an inept OC, and narcissist HC just how deep into the playoffs this year's team could have clawed their way towards something special...

Am surprised Brandon hasn't been shown the door yet by Mr. & Mrs. Pegula...

Great stuff. Thanks, Lurker. After people read it, look at the exact words of the quotes from each of the people involved, Marrone, Brandon and Whaley. They are very telling and I think perfectly reflect the kind of people they are.

To help the link-inhibited:

Brandon: "This guy will win!' Told this was (..) presumptuous, Brandon stared (...) and repeated himself. "He will win," he said. "I believe it."

Whaley: "Most teams are always in survival mode. But you don't hit on something unless you have a plan. You have a road map. If you stay on course and stay in the lines, it makes it a lot easier." "With our ages we have a chance to have something for a long time."

Marrone: "This is who I am and if you don't want it, I get it." Another assistant asked him how he was going to change his style given he would now be in charge of professionals. "I'm not," he told the coach. "This is how I coach. This is who I am."

I personally found the story about how they woo'd Pettine interesting and illustrative of how Marrone has had his success:

Pettine's contract was up, and the Jets seemed interested in keeping him. He didn't know Marrone personally. The two had mutual friends and the mutual friends kept calling with platitudes until Pettine answered his phone by saying: "If you are calling to tell me Doug Marrone is a good guy to work for, I get it."

That's Marrone: carefully cultivates people who might help him, persuades them (on minimal contact perhaps, a la Polian/Coughlin) that he's a good guy, and make use of them. F*** the rest of you.

Thanks for sharing that transcript of Doug "do as I say, not as I do" Marrone...whatever happened to "say what you mean, mean what you say"?

Coming Soon to a theatre near you the Doug "much ado about nothing" Marrone story, where abandoning your "family" with a mere text is what he thinks of "family". One good TALKER, bunch of hot air coveting the green grass on the other side of the fence...gentlemen there is a "me" in tEaM, and it's all about Doug "Me" Marrone suckers.

Bill Belichick quit on the Jets after one day.

Nick Saban quit on Michigan State, then LSU, then the Dolphins.

The point is, you can go back on your word, be world class dink, and still be a good coach. Marrone so far has proven to be the first two, it remains to be seen if he is the third.

This.

Its the NFL. Show me. Marrone's record is not one that I'd be happy to higher. Just like players... Performance can make you're baggage lighter.

The problem for Marrone is players and coaches under him seem to have felt it was his baggage holding them back.

I'm crossing my fingers for him to go to the jets.

Could you imagine our defense against his offense!!!

Edited by JaxBills

Marrone -- blunt, unapologetic, stubborn

Brandon -- salesman

Whaley -- calm, focused, strategic

I know which of the three I'd like to keep around

Nailed it.

I think Whaley has had some hits, and some misses. Some of his apparent "misses", I now wonder how much "Stupid Coaching Tricks" were involved. But I think he's brought in a lot of talent in a short time.

I do want to see the blurred lines of accountability at OBD cleaned up

Just doing a Doug Marrone Google news search is hilarious. Here's another good one out of Syracuse without any of the disgruntled fired assistant coach in it.

http://www.syracuse.com/poliquin/index.ssf/2015/01/is_it_a_surprise_that_doug_marrone_like_so_many_others_is_looking_out_for_no_1_c.html

Meh, that reads more like a Sullivan piece with less negativity and more humor. Takes facts (W/L, departures) and spins them hard.

Just saw this on twitter:

Fallon Tonight @FallonTonight 45m45 minutes ago

Former Bills coach Doug Marrone might be the next coach of the Jets. People are upset about the news - especially Doug Marrone. #fallonmono

I would be too. He would be going from a team with no QB, a ****ty offense, and a great defense to a team with no QB, a ****ty offense, and a mediocre (on a good day) defense. He would probably be getting paid well though along with the $4 mil bonus from the Bills which is nice.