Rapaport: Marrone was in line for lucrative extension?

YoloinOhio

Sorry, but why would he have been 'in line' for a lucrative extension? They went 9-7 and the offense never improved.

It wouldn't surprise me if they extended him for as least as long as his assistants were under contract. It would not surprise me at all if the idea that some changes in assistant coaches wasn't broached. DM is a pouter and now has a history of bailing on jobs once he has a modicum of success. In this case, he should give half of the $4 mil he is stealing to Jim Schwartz. We would have been 4 & 12 without Schwartz's D.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

@RapSheet: @RQUINN619 @ByTimGraham he would have received a raise and extension, no question

@RapSheet: Doug Marrone would have received a big-$ contract extension from #Bills. No question. It was the uncertainty of a football czar that got him

Maybe he saw Russ Brandon could no longer protect him.

It has to be that Marrone's agent is getting to the national guys. I don't know how else there could be such a dichotomy in the reporting

This. The national media's sources are almost exclusively agents. Jimmy Sexton, Marrone's agent, reps Schefter, among other top reporters. The conflicts of interest here are mind boggling.

Marrone knows public sentiment will be that he's a douche for leaving an up-and-coming team with a new rich owner. He was simply power hungry and lost. This nonsense about a "lucrative extension in the works" is pure posturing by his PR people (i.e., agent).

Screw him.

I have to say when I have heard Pegula speak I don't get the impression he is a savvy sports owner. He needs someone like Polian around because he doesn't have a firm grasp on the NFL.

Just because Pegula isn't a polished public speaker doesn't mean he isn't a savvy owner. Don't mistake one for the other.

Marrone knows public sentiment will be that he's a douche for leaving an up-and-coming team with a new rich owner. He was simply power hungry and lost. This nonsense about a "lucrative extension in the works" is pure posturing by his PR people (i.e., agent).

Screw him.

I can't wait to watch him deal with the NYC press. He has no idea what he's getting into if this NYJ rumor is true.

Screw him.

is it odd to anyone else that there has been no public statement from Marrone?

I can't wait to watch him deal with the NYC press. He has no idea what he's getting into if this NYJ rumor is true.

have you seen Manish Mehta's tweets? He hates him already.

is it odd to anyone else that there has been no public statement from Marrone?

have you seen Manish Mehta's tweets? He hates him already.

A-hahahaha. Manish is out of control. But he is a must follow for Jets haters like me. He's like Jerry S, but much worse, and when you hate the Jets he is the man to read!

This. The national media's sources are almost exclusively agents. Jimmy Sexton, Marrone's agent, reps Schefter, among other top reporters. The conflicts of interest here are mind boggling.

And you can take it a step further. I don't mean to sound like a conspiracy nut, but in today's sports media culture, everyone looks to a handful of sources for breaking news. If you can gain control over that handful of sources, you gain control over the public's perception of things.

This is a major problem confronting US society in general now. All our news comes from about 6 sources which own all media outlets. It's not good.

The opportunity for corruption is prolific.

Who the heck knows; maybe it is common for Schefter and guys like this to get $100,000 for every "sources tells me X" statement they make when someone really needs a certain perception to get out there. Makes all the sense in the world to me.

So Tim Graham reported that he asked for an extension and was denied. NFL.com said he was in line for one and still chose to leave. What is the real story? Why is the national media so polar opposite in its portrayal of this story than the local media?

http://www.nfl.com/n...ign=Twitter_atn

Now this? GTFO!

@ProFootballTalk: Bills needed opt-out clause to persuade Marrone not to choose Cleveland in 2013 http://t.co/zqhBgD4l1p

I would like to know how Ian Rapoport knows "Doug Marrone would have received a big-$ contract extension from #Bills. No question."

If it's true that "It was the uncertainty of a football czar that got him", why would that uncertainty bother him? Maybe because said czar would not sign off on his extension, in other words it was not certain?

I think Rapoport knows not whereof he speaks or else his source is St Doug himself or his agent

Screw him.

It doesn't even make any sense. He gets a lucrative extension from the owner and then a new guy walks in a month later and fires him? Or tells him to get rid of his assistants? Why would Pegulas give in a big raise and extension if they didn't like his assistants. Or talk it over with the new guy? That's ridiculous.

Could it be as simple as he saw an opportunity to basically "Hit the lottery" and pocket a free $4 million and still have a pretty good sense he would have a job waiting for him elsewhere? Not too many times you can get $4 million for free in your lifetime...