Head Coach Candidate: Gary Kubiak

Mr. WEO

without reading back through the entire thread, is he even a named candidate for our job?

without reading back through the entire thread, is he even a named candidate for our job?

He can't be contacted until his seasons over, so no point in naming him as a candidate by the Bills.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He can't be contacted until his seasons over, so no point in naming him as a candidate by the Bills.

It was said somewhere that the Bills wanted to interview him.

He reportedly instructed his FO/HC to tell everyone "Go Away, I'm Busy Now" until the Ravens are out.

He is actually one of the coaches who interest me the most.

Kubiak has refused to interview with ANY team while the Ravens are still in the tournament. See here and here...

Ultimately, this gives Terry and Kim Pegula the extra time they need to work out a possible three-man reunion of Gary, Mike and Kyle. I'm obviously not the only one on this board that has thought about Kubiak as part of the equation, but he could certainly be Buffalo's OC if Mike becomes head coach or lobbies his son for it. Of course, Koobs would fall out of the equation if he gets hired elsewhere for a head job, chooses to stay in Baltimore, or if Mike returns to coach and lures Kyle away from Cleveland to serve as his OC again.

Edited by dcjoev

I think a lot of people are overstating the possibility of Schwartz leaving. With what the Bills have done defensively over the last two season, I think any coach would want to retain his services as an DC. Also, I think Pettine is feeling some pain right now in Cleveland. Schwartz may very well be satisfied as an DC for the time being. If he is able to stick with Buffalo another year and take them deep into the playoffs next year, he will then be a hot topic as a HC again.

Whoever is brought in for the HC job is likely going to love what the Bills have done on defense over the last 2 years. Don't forget also that Schartz has gained interest as a DC elsewhere, but as far as a HC the interest just is not there. I think he would be smart to simply ride it out here in Buffalo and wait. He'll get another chance as HC candidate when the Bills take the next step forward.

The Bills may seem to be in disarray right now, but we all know the talent is there for this team. All it needs is a couple of pieces and they will then send a message to the rest of the league with a knockout punch to the NE Patriots. And any other playoff team that gets in their way for that matter. We don't need a complete overhaul here. Just a little competence on the offensive side of the ball.

I agree, he isn't going anywhere this year. He has chance to work with this D again, and if they repeat 2014 then he will be hot HC candidate. He would be silly to go to the Redskins and be the DC and hurt hist stock. In my mind, 2015 for Schwart is either HC or DC of the Bills nothing else.

I think a lot of people are overstating the possibility of Schwartz leaving. With what the Bills have done defensively over the last two season, I think any coach would want to retain his services as an DC. Also, I think Pettine is feeling some pain right now in Cleveland. Schwartz may very well be satisfied as an DC for the time being. If he is able to stick with Buffalo another year and take them deep into the playoffs next year, he will then be a hot topic as a HC again.

Whoever is brought in for the HC job is likely going to love what the Bills have done on defense over the last 2 years. Don't forget also that Schartz has gained interest as a DC elsewhere, but as far as a HC the interest just is not there. I think he would be smart to simply ride it out here in Buffalo and wait. He'll get another chance as HC candidate when the Bills take the next step forward.

The Bills may seem to be in disarray right now, but we all know the talent is there for this team. All it needs is a couple of pieces and they will then send a message to the rest of the league with a knockout punch to the NE Patriots. And any other playoff team that gets in their way for that matter. We don't need a complete overhaul here. Just a little competence on the offensive side of the ball.

On Tuesday morning, I posted a thread entitled "2 Shannys and a Koobs?" It got merged with the one called "Package Deal (Mike & Kyle Shanahan)". But it really should have been included in this thread... My OP revolved around a scenario in which both Shanahans would shuffle into Buffalo, while the Pegulas found a way to lure Gary Kubiak from his offensive coordinator role in Baltimore. Of course, it would be slow to develop because of Kubiak's refusal to interview for jobs until the Ravens season concludes. But I envisioned it as a distinct possibility because of the football relationships that are intertwined between all three men. It then became an even bigger possibility when Kyle Shanahan announced yesterday that he may be open to a "lateral move" to escape friction that has developed between him and the Brown's front office, after just one year in Cleveland.

Here's my original post....

LET'S CONNECT THE DOTS...

I'm not a fan of nepotism, but if the Shanahans BOTH shuffled off to Buffalo, their father & son roles would be different than the ones they had in Washington, with the chance for an added bonus.

I live in DC, so I witnessed Mike and Kyle's struggles with the Redskins. But I blame their demise on Daniel Snyder and his obsession with RGIII, who I believe Mike never wanted in the first place. So would two Shannys be a fit in Buffalo? Bills fans already have their doubts, but it may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. And an old friend may be invited to tag along.

Here's one scenario...

If Baltimore loses at New England this weekend, Terry & Kim Pegula could move fast to hire Mike as their "Czar" and Kyle and Gary Kubiak as their coach and offensive coordinator... but not necessarily in that order. Mike and Kyle are already head coaching candidates, while their former colleague (Kubiak) will be, as soon as his OC duties conclude with the Ravens.

It may take the perfect storm, but all three men could be willing to sacrifice personal goals to work together on a unified one with the Bills. We all know Mike chatted with the Pegulas on Sunday about the head coaching position, but who's to say he wasn't pitching his son for the job, while lobbying for the advisory role that Bill Polian turned down? On Monday evening, the Bills requested a meeting with Kyle. Is it just coincidence or are the owners of Buffalo's hockey and football teams planning a power play?

Kubiak could be their true target, with Mike as head of Football Operations and Kyle as OC - if he chooses to leave the job he currently has in Cleveland. But I think the more likely scenario is Kyle as head coach, with Kubiak in charge of turning around a struggling offense for the second year in a row.

http://m.espn.go.com...357&src=desktop

Kubiak certainly has the credentials to be a head coach again, but after suffering a mini-stroke during his final year in Houston, he may not want the added stress that comes with it. With Kyle as coach, Kubiak can do exactly what he's done so successfully in Baltimore. And the younger Shanahan would have TWO trusted mentors by his side, with FIVE Super Bowl rings between them.

Mike Shanahan earned his first ring in 1994 (as George Seifert's OC), when San Francisco beat San Diego in Super Bowl XXIX. Then he won 2 more as head coach of the Broncos in '97 & '98.

Mike's offensive coordinator in Denver was Gary Kubiak... and when Kubiak became Houston's head coach... he eventually hired Kyle as his OC with the Texans. So there's plenty of history between them and what comes around often goes around in the NFL. Perhaps all 3 are meant to be (together again) in Buffalo!

P.S. If we toss Mario Williams into the mix, Buffalo has a former Texans star who knows Kyle and Koobs well and can act as a reference for both.

Thoughts???

All good points. Plus Schwartz is under contract for 2015 so his only choices are stay as DC, become a HC somewhere, or quit. Staying put seems his best choice.

On Tuesday morning, I posted a thread entitled "2 Shannys and a Koobs?" It got merged with the one called "Package Deal (Mike & Kyle Shanahan)". But it really should have been included in this thread... My OP revolved around a scenario in which both Shanahans would shuffle into Buffalo, while the Pegulas found a way to lure Gary Kubiak from his offensive coordinator role in Baltimore. Of course, it would be slow to develop because of Kubiak's refusal to interview for jobs until the Ravens season concludes. But I envisioned it as a distinct possibility because of the football relationships that are intertwined between all three men. It then became an even bigger possibility when Kyle Shanahan announced yesterday that he may be open to a "lateral move" to escape friction that has developed between him and the Brown's front office, after just one year in Cleveland.

Here's my original post....

LET'S CONNECT THE DOTS...I'm not a fan of nepotism, but if the Shanahans BOTH shuffled off to Buffalo, their father & son roles would be different than the ones they had in Washington, with the chance for an added bonus.I live in DC, so I witnessed Mike and Kyle's struggles with the Redskins. But I blame their demise on Daniel Snyder and his obsession with RGIII, who I believe Mike never wanted in the first place. So would two Shannys be a fit in Buffalo? Bills fans already have their doubts, but it may not be as far-fetched as it sounds. And an old friend may be invited to tag along. Here's one scenario... If Baltimore loses at New England this weekend, Terry & Kim Pegula could move fast to hire Mike as their "Czar" and Kyle and Gary Kubiak as their coach and offensive coordinator... but not necessarily in that order. Mike and Kyle are already head coaching candidates, while their former colleague (Kubiak) will be, as soon as his OC duties conclude with the Ravens.

It may take the perfect storm, but all three men could be willing to sacrifice personal goals to work together on a unified one with the Bills. We all know Mike chatted with the Pegulas on Sunday about the head coaching position, but who's to say he wasn't pitching his son for the job, while lobbying for the advisory role that Bill Polian turned down? On Monday evening, the Bills requested a meeting with Kyle. Is it just coincidence or are the owners of Buffalo's hockey and football teams planning a power play?Kubiak could be their true target, with Mike as head of Football Operations and Kyle as OC - if he chooses to leave the job he currently has in Cleveland. But I think the more likely scenario is Kyle as head coach, with Kubiak in charge of turning around a struggling offense for the second year in a row. http://m.espn.go.com...357&src=desktopKubiak certainly has the credentials to be a head coach again, but after suffering a mini-stroke during his final year in Houston, he may not want the added stress that comes with it. With Kyle as coach, Kubiak can do exactly what he's done so successfully in Baltimore. And the younger Shanahan would have TWO trusted mentors by his side, with FIVE Super Bowl rings between them.Mike Shanahan earned his first ring in 1994 (as George Seifert's OC), when San Francisco beat San Diego in Super Bowl XXIX. Then he won 2 more as head coach of the Broncos in '97 & '98. Mike's offensive coordinator in Denver was Gary Kubiak... and when Kubiak became Houston's head coach... he eventually hired Kyle as his OC with the Texans. So there's plenty of history between them and what comes around often goes around in the NFL. Perhaps all 3 are meant to be (together again) in Buffalo!P.S. If we toss Mario Williams into the mix, Buffalo has a former Texans star who knows Kyle and Koobs well and can act as a reference for both.Thoughts???

Can Kyle just decide to leave Cleveland for buffalo? Don't think that's an option unless he offered to be the HC

Been saying this for a couple of weeks now.

Didn't he go 14-2 with Schaub? That's slightly better than under achieving

12-4 preceded by 10-6 in a "QB by committee" where Schaub broke his foot, Leinart was injured, and they ended the season with TJ Yates.

He knows something

Clearly the Texans stuck with Schaub-and-no-one-else for far too long; I'm not "up" on how much control Kubiak had over the personnel

Can Kyle just decide to leave Cleveland for buffalo? Don't think that's an option unless he offered to be the HC

No. He can only leave whilst under contract if he's taking a higher position (edit: I've since seen reports he is considering a lateral move? He is under contract through 2015, and the Browns do not have to let him go)

Edited by Hopeful

NFL teams can block lateral moves, but cannot block promotions. That doesn't mean the Browns can't consider requests from teams who are interested in Kyle's services as an offensive coordinator. They just have the ability to say no, like the Bills and 49ers did when Washington requested permission to interview Jim Schwartz and Vic Fangio for the Skins' defensive coordinator opening.

The Bills have already asked and were granted permission to talk to Kyle about their head coaching position. I'm sure the Pegulas could offer him some alternative options during the interview... But if, by rule, they can't, the Bills would have to ask Cleveland a second time for permission to interview Kyle as an offensive coordinator. Of course, this would occur if Buffalo chooses to hire Kyle's father or someone like Gary Kubiak as head coach. The Browns could actually deny that request, but with the friction that's developed between their staff and Kyle, it's highly doubtful they will.

"An NFL team cannot interview an assistant coach - who is in the same role and under an existing contract with another team - without the permission of his current organization. Teams will usually give permission upon request, particularly if a lower level coach is set to take an offensive or defensive coordinator position elsewhere. But the current team is not required to give permission."

In other words, teams cannot keep an assistant from leaving for a head-coaching job (even if he is under contract). But they CAN keep an assistant from leaving for another assistant job, if they CHOOSE to.

Edited by dcjoev

Not sure how the league would see something like "assistant Head Coach" - I expect there would be a lot of scrutiny as to what duties such a position had, that would not be reasonably described by the duties of an "Offensive Coordinator"

The league is full of Asst Head Coaches. One example that comes to mind is Tom Cable as OLine Coach/Asst. Head Coach in Seattle. I also believe Bill Callahan (how com this guy is no one's radar?) is the same.

Smoke and mirrors, my friends, smoke and mirrors... Koobs will be hired for his 2nd head coaching gig, as soon as Baltimore's season ends. Bank on it!

@RapSheet: Gary Kubiak has not interviewed yet, but from people close to him, he may not. He loves #Ravens, has friends there, isnt looking to move

Edited by dcjoev