Head Coach Candidate: Frank Reich

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Pegula does not go the sentimental route. I hope Pegula goes with his head and not his heart. If Frank is the best candidate I am all for it.

Nostalgia is great and all but this decision has to come down to who gives us the best chance to win. I do prefer an offensive minded coach who is known for developing QBs.

I'm actually kind of intrigued by Reich.

He clearly doesn't have a strong resume. He's only been a NFL coach for 7 years with only one unmemorable year as a coordinator.

But over the years I've kept hearing positive things about his smarts and leadership. I can't remember who said it, but more than once I've heard "He'll be a head coach some day."

So I don't think he's just the nostalgia choice. Some people in New York City are advocating for him for that vacancy and I don't think that's nostalgia. They don't care about his off-the-bench heroics for the Bills and he never did crap for them as a player. They see him as an up-and-coming coaching star.

Then again, you can't ignore that he's only been an OC for one year and the results weren't impressive. I'd feel a lot better about Reich's candidacy if (1) I knew he'd retain Schwartz at DC, and (2) I knew he'd hire a dynamite OC.

Frank Reich will be great.

if your going to go with any coordinator level hire. he would be best.

Bonus: best suited to bring EJ along.

I'd agree he is probably the best suited to bring EJ along, but that is about it. Not ready to be a HC in any other way.

Edited by DrDareustein

Enh ... I think the experience stuff is overrated. Hiring a good staff is at least half the battle, and if he's a good communicator and is well connected (which he probably is), he'll be ok on that front, especially if Schwartz stays. Football coaching ain't rocket surgery.

I'm fine with Schwartz as HC though. I think he's very smart and probably learned what not to do at Detroit.

Agree on all accounts.

The Chargers averaged 0.4 points and 23 more yards per game than the Bills with Phillip Rivers as their QB. If that is a good job, then I don't know what you'd call a bad job. Especially considering that was a 3.4 point and 52 point drop off from the previous season.

That kind of makes Hackett look pretty good considering he had EJ and Kyle Orton behind a horrible OL.

Not only would he be a good coach, he would also be able to officiate any players upcomming weddings!

CBF

Imagine the promotions Brandon could do with that?! Forget marrying players, have the coach marry fans on the 50 yard-line before home games. It'd be marketing GENIUS worthy of Brandon's brand. :lol:

I hope Pegula does not go the sentimental route. I hope Pegula goes with his head and not his heart. If Frank is the best candidate I am all for it.

Nostalgia is great and all but this decision has to come down to who gives us the best chance to win. I do prefer an offensive minded coach who is known for developing QBs.

Good lord this scares me most of all! Why in the world would Terry Pegula, first year owner with no football experience prior to now, presume enough to hire a head coach! The fact that he is even going on the interviews scares me!

I suspect this is all just a prelude to promoting Schwartz to HC however.

Edited by CodeMonkey