Does Schwartz stay if he's not the HC?

If a new HC does not keep Schwartz I would find that disturbing. We need to keep Schwartz. If he leaves of his own accord, we should promote Pepper Johnson.

Assistant coaches and coordinators picked by the prior head coach are rarely kept by thenew head coach. They want to bring in their own guys. An oddity is DLine coach Tomsula for the Niners. He was there before Harbaugh and now is being mentioned as a candidate as Harbaugh's replacement, along with the D Coord. Fangio.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Assistant coaches and coordinators picked by the prior head coach are rarely kept by thenew head coach. They want to bring in their own guys. An oddity is DLine coach Tomsula for the Niners. He was there before Harbaugh and now is being mentioned as a candidate as Harbaugh's replacement, along with the D Coord. Fangio.

I agree this generally happens. But after the great D the Bills had I would be disturbed by someone who needed his "own" guy. Let Schwartz run the d.

• Rumor has it he goes w Moron to Jets

Not without compensation for a lateral move. And if they try the assistant HC thing we can match that promotion.

Carolina is a bit of an anomaly with Polian, with Caughlib, Delhome, and Collins. But his MO seems to be get a guy who can lead, but get out of the way and let the players play.

Not sure where Reich is on this. At week 8 this season, I'd be in on it, not now, that offense was too bad with too much talent. Also too Green.

Is Wade retired these days?

I'll bite. Who the hell is "Caughlib"?

And Delhomme was way after Polian.

I don't think so. Look at it this way. 3-4 days into this and Schwartz hasn't gotten a whiff as far an an interview for a HC job as far as we know. It's possible that he has, or will, get an interview. I'm sure a guy like that wants one and thought he may get one. But it's a fact. He has to be able to deal with a hotshot candidate like Gase who is an offensive guy, or even a Bowles or Bevel, because everyone wants to talk to them. It doesn't matter that he thinks he's a better candidate than them, but it's a fact he must understand. He's a very smart guy.

What he doesn't have to put up with is a retread like himself, who had his one chance already, and didn't do so well. OR... a guy like Reich who hasn't paid his dues at all and there is no reason whatsoever to give that guy a job to. He should be pissed if that happens.

A big name, a hotshot young up and coming, a top college coach I'm sure he could deal with. A retread or an undeserving neophyte I think pisses him off.

Also, Reich is a bit of a hometown hero hire and a nostalgia play. It would piss me off (if I were Schwartz) that some football decisions could appear to be made not on their merits.

If it's a reject or a guy who hasn't paid his dues, like Frank Reich, Schwartz is going to be very, very pissed.

If anything, Reich should be OC and Schwartz HC. You're right--Reich doesn't have anywhere near enough coaching experience to warrant a HC job.

I think there is a good chance Schwartz stays if the new HC is an offensive guy. I don't know all the examples but one is in SD when norv Turner was replaced by Mike McCoy. He chose to keep john Pagano as DC.

If they hire a defensive HC then Schwartz may not even want to stay.

I would expect Marrone will try to take the defensive staff and the Bills will block that.

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'am ok with Reich and hope he brings coach Joe D' with him.

My second choice would be Rex , a good players coach.

Maybe Mike W can return

Marc Trestman OC and good with QB's (exclude Cutler)

Edited by ALF

Why would he leave--to be DC somewhere else where they don't have Pro Bowlers at 3 of the front 4 positions?

He'll leave to be a head coach, just like Pettine did. Schwartz's performance this year was even better than Pettine's so if Pettine got a HC spot, why wouldn't Schwartz get an offer to?

I think there is a good chance Schwartz stays if the new HC is an offensive guy. I don't know all the examples but one is in SD when norv Turner was replaced by Mike McCoy. He chose to keep john Pagano as DC.

If they hire a defensive HC then Schwartz may not even want to stay.

I would expect Marrone will try to take the defensive staff and the Bills will block that.

Why wouldn't Schwartz leave for a HC job elsewhere? Seems to me he would jump at the chance and the job he did this year with our defense certainly warrants him getting another shot at being a head coach.

He'll leave to be a head coach, just like Pettine did. Schwartz's performance this year was even better than Pettine's so if Pettine got a HC spot, why wouldn't Schwartz get an offer to?

Why wouldn't Schwartz leave for a HC job elsewhere? Seems to me he would jump at the chance and the job he did this year with our defense certainly warrants him getting another shot at being a head coach.

Because the Browns already have a HC....they can only hire 1 per year.

Also, he did a nice job with the D, but he was certainly handed a loaded deck on that one. WhaT D coordinator has ever walked into such a stacked roster? And recall that the guy he replaced wasn't fired--and that guy helped build this D.

When considering the fact that no one knows who the next HC is, and that the assistant coaches are only under contract through 2015, there is little reason to think that Schwartz stays in any capacity short of HC. He is as good as gone in my opinion.

isn't he actually not free to leave unless the Bills grant him that wish?

Well If Jim Harbaugh was announced as the next HC I'd say there's a good chance Schwatz would be gone, but that's not happening.

Depends who the next HC is. If that person for whatever reason doesn't get along with Schwatz or has a very different take on defense, then he may be gone. Or the other side if for some reason JS doesn't like the new HC, he'd then likely ask out of his contract.

Although he is under contract and all, if i were him i would be a little hurt if i were considered and then someone else who has less experience being the head coach (ie:reich) was hired instead. Knowing shwartz, he might be upset, or it could lead to tension. With that said, i dont want him to be HC, his track record is poor, and if he remains DC, the top 5 defense we had last year would be more intact as a unit. I just hope he takes one for the team here and understands if we bring in some new guy.

I agree this generally happens. But after the great D the Bills had I would be disturbed by someone who needed his "own" guy. Let Schwartz run the d.

That was part of the trouble with Marrone - he choose to replace the coaches who were doing a good job. All coaches on a staff should be interviewed - to get their points on weaknesses and strengths as well as as to determine if they are good candidates to be retained. Coaches almost always are paid fully when let go so a new head coach should not waste this capital.

Although he is under contract and all, if i were him i would be a little hurt if i were considered and then someone else who has less experience being the head coach (ie:reich) was hired instead. Knowing shwartz, he might be upset, or it could lead to tension. With that said, i dont want him to be HC, his track record is poor, and if he remains DC, the top 5 defense we had last year would be more intact as a unit. I just hope he takes one for the team here and understands if we bring in some new guy.

eh I don't know if he would be "hurt" - he will get an interview and it's up to him to show he's the right guy for it. It isn't experience that wins the day in the nfl, it's success. He doesn't have enough of that as a HC to be a slam dunk anywhere, not just here. IMO it's in his best interest to remain here as the DC and hope that there is a good offensive minded HC hired. That way his D will look even better and he could be up for an HC job next year, there will be more opportunities. Edited by YoloinOhio