Marrone/Whaley season ending PC today @3PM

Sucks that a 9-7 season after 3 straight 6-10 seasons is looked upon so badly but this Bills team should have been a 10-11 game winner despite their shortcomings.

The old adage is still true; Games are won and lost in the trenches. Our offensive trench sucked.

Looking at the talent Whaley and Nix assembled, this seems like a 9-7 team. Our coaches didn't help the players over-achieve but I can't say they underachieved much either.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

4. Marrone seemed to truly not understand what it takes for CJ Spiller to be effective. When prompted about Chan's offense, he claims he's studied it. Something is wrong then.

That something is having interior lineman who face plant every time they move more than 14" in any direction.

4. Marrone seemed to truly not understand what it takes for CJ Spiller to be effective. When prompted about Chan's offense, he claims he's studied it. Something is wrong then.

That something is having interior lineman who face plant every time they move more than 14" in any direction.

One thing that was interesting to me, was Whaley using the term "regressed" multiple times when talking about Offensive players. I hope he sees that pattern and they do something to improve the coaching on that side of the ball (OC and OL).

Another thing they could look at doing, if they dont can Hackett, is what Dallas has done over the past couple of years. They've brought in 2-3 additional coaches to help with playcalling and gameplanning, while keeping the existing coaches, and it certainly paid off this year.

I know everything you said but that is not what happened at all. Hogan didn't even play the first four games. Everyone here went nuts because WRs were running wild in the Houston secondary and EJ wasnt looking or throwing to them. Williams caught an 80 yard TD in that game. They were using Woods in the slot. And they were switching him back and forth with Williams on the outside in the first four games. then and only then, out of nowhere, does Williams disappear.

I think it's obvious that what did Williams in was spouting off to the press about the game plan for Houston after that game. They put him in the dog house and I suspect there were tensions all that week leading up to the Detroit game in which he was essentially benched. When he made the trade demand, that pretty much sealed his fate.

Perhaps it's unrelated, but I have reason to believe Woods was never keen on playing the slot to begin with.

GO BILLS!!!

One thing that was interesting to me, was Whaley using the term "regressed" multiple times when talking about Offensive players. I hope he sees that pattern and they do something to improve the coaching on that side of the ball (OC and OL).

Another thing they could look at doing, if they dont can Hackett, is what Dallas has done over the past couple of years. They've brought in 2-3 additional coaches to help with playcalling and gameplanning, while keeping the existing coaches, and it certainly paid off this year.

the more coaches the better, it can't hurt

but what has paid off for dallas is 3 first round offensive lineman opening holes and protecting a franchise QB.

Perhaps that helped, but I would say that the focus on fixing their OLine and commitment and ability to run Demarco Murray were primarily responsible. That said, I would be ecstatic if the bills brought in a new OL coach and someone to look over Hacket's shoulder, assuming they intend to keep him.

Edited by MDFan

Whaley on Mike Williams:

We were looking for a guy to come in and help us. It didn't work out the way we wanted, but we will always do research to get good players.

Why didn't it work out? B/C Woods and Sammy stepped up and Chris Hogan was better option at slot. People got better, not to do with Mike and his performance; he just got beat out by the other receivers on the team.

which is what I said a while ago. Williams just got beat out.

I am really close to calling in to schop . the guy is bitching bout Orton not being an answer at qb, wanting a guy who is live/die by the Bills. wanting to even spend money and invest in something at qb. i guess he forgotthe name fitzpatrivk.

the guy really is retarded. talking about analytics not working, saying the questions asked and reporters were awful. i will take notes and consider calling in.

also, absolutely love how he is proclaiming it too early to talk about qbs like cutler or stafford because the season just finished and no one knows what will happen, yet keeps saying we need to do something and that orton was terrible.

Really going from 6-10 to 9-7 should be cause for optimism and hope that they can go to 11-5 and the playoffs next year but it's not. They will never be any better than this year with these guys in charge. Plenty of reasons why but the biggest simply is QB. We do not have a good one, no good ones are out there and even if there were, I don't trust Whaley to find one. As long as they spin the wheels at the QB position it won't matter what they do. Doesn't matter who the head coach, OC, WR's, RB's, TE's and OL are, doesn't matter if the D is the best in the league, none of it it matters if you don't have a good QB. I don't care what nonsense Punt Marrone and Whaley were babbling about for 35 minutes, it was pointless. Evaluate, analytics and on and on. I want to hear from the new owner. What's the plan? Better not be the same thing as when he took over the Sabres, I hope really hope he learned his lesson after the Regier/Ruff fiasco.

I don't disagree that that happened, and contributed...but the line personnel was very similar:

2012 Starting OL:

LT - CORDY GLENN - 13 GS

LG - ANDY LEVITRE - 16 GS

C - ERIC WOOD - 14 GS

RG - KRAIG URBIK - 13 GS

RT - CHRIS HAIRSTON - 8 GS

RT - ERIC PEARS - 7 GS

Crap QBing not withstanding...

No not what I said at all... please read. Hogan happens to be good (decent) at slot. MW is and was not. It's an entirely different skill set - just like slot corner - something that Robey excels at but is just ok outside. this is not about Hogan, it's about Woods beating out MW as #2 and Sammy is already #1. I see that you're not likely going to change your thoughts and thats fine but don't try to validate what I am trying to convey by saying something completely different lol. I'm done I'm letting this argument go with you. :)

and again the 80 yd TD was a busted play... Not one to hang your hat on

We can agree to disagree. But I wasn't talking about what you said. Marrone said that exact same thing before the season started. I knew all that. We discussed it here (about Woods in the slot and Williams only outside). That was the exact same reasoning Marrone gave to not playing Woods in preseason. The thing is, when the season started, he didn't do that at all. He didn't put into action, his excuse, for FOUR full games. And Williams was getting open. That's why I was calling bull ****. I understand the logic, even if I don't agree with it one bit. I think Woods is a great slot receiver, too. He has all the skills.

But Marrone didn't do that at all. He did it five games after the season started, after some incident, and then never went back to Williams, even to do the one thing he proved he could do.

I don't disagree that that happened, and contributed...but the line personnel was very similar:

2012 Starting OL:

LT - CORDY GLENN - 13 GS

LG - ANDY LEVITRE - 16 GS

C - ERIC WOOD - 14 GS

RG - KRAIG URBIK - 13 GS

RT - CHRIS HAIRSTON - 8 GS

RT - ERIC PEARS - 7 GS

I don't consider two guys at the same position "very similar." Sorry.

marrone offers up a blast from the past, "it's hard to win in this league." (regarding players being happy about beating new england.)

somewhere, dick jauron rolls over in his grave, cracks a smile and gives a thumbs-up.

Bill Belichick says "It's hard to win in this league" too. People get way too worked up about it.

Unless they have already decided they are done with EJ.

Or unless playing him was unlikely to accomplish anything, other than putting him in a situation where just about any QB was likely to fail. Change the offense for the last week of the season, for a road game in a place they have never won, against the best team in the league, a week after getting booted from the playoffs. On a short week of practice even. Great way to bring back EJM.

Really going from 6-10 to 9-7 should be cause for optimism and hope that they can go to 11-5 and the playoffs next year but it's not. They will never be any better than this year with these guys in charge. Plenty of reasons why but the biggest simply is QB. We do not have a good one, no good ones are out there and even if there were, I don't trust Whaley to find one. As long as they spin the wheels at the QB position it won't matter what they do. Doesn't matter who the head coach, OC, WR's, RB's, TE's and OL are, doesn't matter if the D is the best in the league, none of it it matters if you don't have a good QB. I don't care what nonsense Punt Marrone and Whaley were babbling about for 35 minutes, it was pointless. Evaluate, analytics and on and on. I want to hear from the new owner. What's the plan? Better not be the same thing as when he took over the Sabres, I hope really hope he learned his lesson after the Regier/Ruff fiasco.

Correct, but what do you want them to do? There are about 10 people in the world good enough to play QB at a high level in the NFL right now.

These press conferences are useless, but I wonder what all the whiners on the board would do differently? Are people expecting frank answers? I mean, if they actually said something meaningful they would be torn up by fans and the press too. For them to say "this guy won't be resigned", or undercut coaches or players would be stupid.

Edited by HoF Watkins

Why? Marrone could have used them at the same positions. I completely disagree with you.

Exactly. Why the heck is Marrone playing Pears at guard? Or musical chairs with the rest of the line? He was handed a semi competent OL and turned it into one of the worst units in the league.