Marrone/Whaley season ending PC today @3PM

Will it be risky to go back to EJ; does Marrone worry about locker room.

Marrone: "I have respect for players; they know who should be playing and shouldn't, to a great extent. We put players on the field that have earned the right to be on the field and who can be productive/efficient enough for us to win."

You don't want to play any position (including QB) where the players won't respect the choice to play that guy.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Moving forward, Whaley says we will add a QB, strictly because we need the numbers.

Marrone says he would have given different thought to the situation had he been aware Orton would retire.

Marrone had no sense of this, not by the way they were preparing. He was not looking at the game thinking Orton was going to be gone.

Marrone did not have the information to question what they did or would do.

Whaley is going to look at QB's by sheer numbers, because they need a QB, going to go thru with fine tooth comb

Whaley what would you have done with this knowing what you do now? Marrone is in charge of team, I support every decision he made.

Q = question. W = Whaley M = Marrone

Q: Are you disappointed with Manuel, saying he was your franchise QB last year?

M: No, but I would say he struggled, we'll look at options next year

Q: How evaluations between now and August with Manuel.

M: How he progresses, in shape, mind ready, like anyone else every position we bring in new guys or old guys.

Q 3 day window to opt out of 2015 contract, whachu gonna do?

M: we stick to 2014 season, not 2015.

M: I do not discuss my contract, that's my rule, never have never will.

Q: Issues on offense for marrone?

M: thats more obviosuly major point of what standpoint is performance, we look at 16 games and see how we improve, looking to improve in all 3 phases, qb precendent.

Q will coaching staff return? assistants?

M: for me right now, we just got done with players, we'll sit down, doug and russ and look at all situations

Q: if you knew manuel steps back would you have given up pick for saammy? - asked by Rodak

W: we're happy with the player, we have a lot to look foward to, other options to explore

Q: tougher to swallow with what happened? - asked by Rodak

W: no. bigger and better thigns coming

Q: do you maintain best long term move? -asked by Rodak

W: yes, i think so, we have a number 1 wr, in long term, however long he plays however long he is here with

bills, he'll put up #1 wr numbers.

Q:OL rookies

A: we were not good enough to attain stated goal, starts with me, starts with coach, getting competition, getting players

Q: are you disappointed couldn't get more from OL?

M: the expertise part no, but always disappointed when not getting what expectation is. either a player or a group, a unit, and so on down the team. you have that, and again, doug and i have been in discussions throughout year how we will move forward, making notes, how to get more production out of that unit, know what plan is going forward, and any other part of team going forward

make no mistakes, i comfortable with cyril, making move, he's done good thinks , kouaj, better now then preseason, interesting to see if it carries over to field competition

M: coaches gather info, stats, look at evaluation, look at that, discussions to go to owner and doug and defense staff, offense, special teams, all on down

Q: how long will that happen?

M: takes a long time, never readily available after season, needs to be a little step back, a few days to settle in, then gather info and start discussing it.

Q: how do you send message to pegulas with your work?

W: encourage but not satisfied. did not meet our stated goals, good things came out, things we gotta do better as org, as a team, as a staff, everyone gotta get better, to playoffs

Q: to draft, bad move? - Rodak asked

W: not in my mind, we have a line on draft board, if there we trade up for, don't trade up for this line, have line to trade back to this line to get guy, that's how we will attack this draft, same as before

Q: orton retiring and contract wording

W: we didn't disuccs how long he would hang around, said he wouldn't come here unless fully committed

Q: are you dissapointed?

W: still trying to be process, he said his hart not in it, he was not 100% i respect it, i respect what he brought.

M: Same as doug in beginning, i was hoping kyle would be with us.

Q: how do you view disparity in offense, defense, reflection of coordinators scouting qb pla?

M: we went thru two coordinators, two scheme changes, still a credit, we got production and improved, offensive side doug and i said we gotta do a better job, coordinator, players also. we all have to be accountable, our responsibility to get that better, if we don't do that and get better in other phases, we won't be where we want to be

Q: were you disappointed with ej manuel? =rodak

W: no, its coaches decision, we talk about everything from my side we are looking to add a player, i talk to him to adding a player, he told me his process and i was fully behind him.

M:i made that decision, i spoke to him first, doug, way we need to go, best chance to win. doug said i see the same things you see.

Q: can manuel lead to playoffs? Rodak

M: when we made change, i talked to him, how he will handle things give us better indication of where he'll be, did a very good job, accuracy getting better, decisions, standpoint got better in practice, taking reps against d. in saying ht you can see in improvement, still have to do that on field. having those days, what he does now and off seaon to prepare to compete, we'll know when times comes

W: step in his career, a deep breath, decompress, watch a guy in league a while and learn, nuances to learn, get him to be where he wants to be - a starting producing qb at high level, you wont' know until lights go on next year

Q: on players excited to win yesterday

M: always be excited to win, you get a win it takes bad taste out of mouth

Q:on manuel in draft

M: take time to evaluating bills pick, its a bills pick, its consensous pick, a whole organization.

Q: offense downgrade in production, dwhlay how will you handle this?

M: we will evaluate after meeting and go from there, nitty gritty find out we can improve.

Q:did ortons decisions to leave make optin to draft a qb more?

M: we'll e v a l all options

Q: when kyle informed you to resign? did he hand you letter? what happened?

M:when i cam in, kyle came to see me before meeting and informed me, i asked him are you sure, lot of times you make decisiosn you need to take time to think about it. i told russ brandon to make sure he told doug, i was texting trying to call the owner to tell him what was going on

Q:how do you feel on qb options

W:how many and what type, we don't know

Q: how much salary flexibility to find QB?

W: goes with options

W:we are $16mm under cap at moment, per whaley

Q: jerry hughes?

W: productive player, do anything we can to keep him

Q: Spiller?

W: didn't have year we wanted with injuries, nice addition, nice weapon

Q: LB's - spikes

W: have to evaluate with what he is thinking, see if he thinks he'll fit.

M: We will look at 2015 what to do

spiller... successful with chan we looked, can't set up system where it successful with one person. try to duplicate those numbers

Q: rodak asked if manuel was a failure pick. hahaha.

M: no, his career not over, his career just getting started.

Q:do you think qb limitted you

M: strategically we went in to there if this if the answer if not stop me, we have to win games, don't want to run a team with three sep entities, knew as a team what had to be done, weith thhe wr situation, kyle's numbers from comp% number of wr's over 60 catches from that... betterj ob situationally, red zone and 3rd down and get better, increasing those numbers or i don't know, rec/catches, we have to increase td's and 1st downs and 3rd downs.

Q:you felt that offense the feeling the 3 phases ... decision to be more conservative? vs. high tempo and big play?

M: some games we want to slow down, always looking for big plays, most of year efficiencey level, go back to yesterday, look at first drive, everyoen wwill say what a hell of first drive, we did this different, we didn't we just effiecent, amde plays and scored.

2nd half we knew what was going on didn't have to make many ajdustments because coverages we werein but not getting same results, thats whats diffucult, need to field, a team a unit that can be efficient, can be why i used it all year.

Q: analytics helped?

M: not showing our hand, not going reveal that.

Q: how has it more have you leaned on it.

M: from my standpoint i go to ians, can you run numbers on this. its situationally its times oyu come up to devle in to numbers, it gets ramped up with offseason at FA's and rraft.

Q: been happy with him?

W: yes, its new to me. he great to work with, more projects more to use work with

Q: more front office or coaching?

M: its used with doug whaley responsibility, how he uses it is separate, i use it quite a lot, we can take this to a level that no one else is able to do with my experience of using analytics, its not a standpoint like peopel ralize, which is not down and distance not fourth down, not even close to what you can use it for matchup wise, schematics, i use it a lot of differnt things, gives you another form of information

----more punting on 4th down!!!

M:: coming in how you will use it, during interview how you want team built, whaley and nix involved going with building defense then after last season, whaley and i talked to do better on special teams to get field position, not doing good job, and made conscious effort to do that, i didn't get all stats from yesteday game, we were 3rd in composite stast, now we gettng better, defense, special teams, now we must improve offense. season, must look back like i said yestdray, people point ot oakland, it goes back to every game you'ren ot able to do can you use that going forward, if evryone believes and knows how didfficult it is to win, how you have to be ready to play, every game every single week, play at level of efficeient,y if you can do that , you can build off that, but you must go back to beginning to foundation to get oyur message and build

Q:how much will set back be starting its 3rd qb in 3 years....

M: it could be, wont deny its' not going to be,

Q:how did pegula react to orton

W: everyone brought it up and took it like we have.

Q: Mike Williams?

W: we were looking guy to help us, 6th round guy o a rookie, mike williams didn't work out like we wanted, keep adding good players, we'll continue

Q: why didn't it work, mike williams?

M: woods played better then mike williams, looking at watkins and woods, mikes not an inside player and slot, we felt hogan with robert outside, instead of moving robert in and mike outside. it had people getting better, mike got beat out.

got him before draft and sammy

Q: what about jim schwartz, losing him, worried like pettine?

M: we did a good jobe when mike left, jim done outstanding job, very happy, and when that time comes we'll be able to ya know, go where twe need to go.

Q: have you started experimenting at kouaj at guard, how has he looked?your idea to keep him there?

M: He went in there, much ard to move outside in, we wanted to make sure we weren't making am istake to play our best five. he's better suited outside, a littleb it unfair to everyone here, haven't seen his movement skills that have increased, we all saw in presason he couldn't move as well as he needed to play at hte poisiton, he's improved, i'm excited look positionally where he goes he's been mostly righ side

Q: did he not play as much as expected?

W: we saw a lot of talent, if he lives up to his talent we knew he'd be talented, we're excited for what we've seen recently.

Q:...playoffs?

W: we are encouraged but not satisfied we didnt' get there

Q:do you feel there is a need for any oversight on the football side?

M: not a decision i'm ready to make

Q: Kouaj?

W: not up to him to make decision on kaouj

M: good guys playing tackle, never really can have enoguh good offenseive tackles. seantreel henderson came up and blossomed, afraid to say how wll he is playing, difficult to see, 16 games 15 of them he was productive winning player for us.

Q: struggles for glenn at LT, not be left tackle of future,

M: things you look at, obviously. always a concern, people in best position, whlay and i had those convos with glenn

Q:henderson to left side?

M: always option, best 5 out there.

Q: season over, last 24, don't strike you as a guy who does shoulda coulda woulda... what really sticks out though, this season, 1 play or moment?

M: i don't think this fair for one play, first thing you look at is the games you lost, relive those, yesteraday you e v a l those games, it hurts just as much as it did during that time, you always question what did i do? what could i have made better, eliminate turnovers? NE turnover situation, Houston, turnover situation, look at, lots of things in pla, gosh how close we were, when this starts again we gotta go thru all these processes again so those things odn't occur so we dont' regret it.

Q: one that sticks out?

M: which one sticks out to you? tim, i look at it overall, you cannot minimize things that happened, it could have been poor kick, it oculd have been d holding for first, a second and 3 offensive holding, ya know so i'm built all those things go in to play, never been one thing in situation that one thing did it. all 4 or 5 games you can put your hat on....that's why i am always like i am

Q:do you think it will be risky going back to EJ at QB? worry about locker room? rodak asked this.

M: Them not having locker room? You mean reception?

Q: Yes

M: players know who should be playing, to a great extent, but it comes to responsibility. they know who is productive enoguh for us to win, that's always the case, never want to put someone in there where someone doesn't have faith in a position.

W: after season, we were comfortable with thad lewis, he won games for us, but we thought alright we can go with manuel, tuel, lewis.. thad regressed, did not live up to expectations, he even said this, at that time our plan, we had to be light on our feet, had to see he not progrerssing so orton came to mind.

Q:do you have any notes on how spiller was used before injury?

M: no, nothign to say

Q:how's kiko?

M: right now we're under outside of any set back he'll be cleared soon.

Edited by jboyst62

what teams do in particular 'down and distance' situations have been called 'tendencies' since introduced to the league by the Cowboys GM Gil Brandt back in the late 60's

4th down risk / reward calcs - like 2 point conversion calcs - can probably be downloaded from the internet.

LOL. Well, they are just "scratching the surface" at OBD with analytics at the moment.

That's it! The PC is over now.

Nothing very interesting was said; I honestly think these guys are done with EJ. I really do.

LOL. Well, they are just "scratching the surface" at OBD with analytics at the moment.

That's it! The PC is over now.

Nothing very interesting was said; I honestly think these guys are done with EJ. I really do.

But they can't say it because they might be stuck playing EJ if they don't find a better option. Plus they'll never admit they were wrong.

His specialty was supposed to be jump balls in the end zone. They struggled in the red zone. Marrone was just stubborn to not use him.

Oh sure. That's why these PCs are kind of a waste of time. Marrone knows why it didn't work with Mike, but he isn't going to tell us, that's the point. So he just says whatever kind of makes sense or is minimally plausible...and then no one in the press corps challenges him on that or hits him with a biting follow-up.

Pot meet kettle.

LOL

Nothing surprising at all. I did think that Marrone left the door open to not retaining Hackett, although I doubt it is going to happen.

I didn't like Marrone's answer about Mike Williams at all. Basically said that Williams beat out Woods early (even though Williams wasn't at full speed), and that Woods then beat out Williams, and they just decided all along to play Hogan in the slot. That's an awful decision if true.

He also said Henderson was played good for 15 games. That is crazy.

There was a lot I liked about what Marrone said, and a lot I didn't like, which is how I feel about him as a coach. he isn't great, he doesn't suck. He does somethings well and others not so well. Whether that tradeoff is worth it is debatable.

The only things I took from this press conference:

1. Whaley needs to take some public speaking courses, ASAP. Need to be a more confident person vocally, as he is in a leadership role. I don't think this is insignificant.

2. Whaley would not call EJ the franchise QB, so I'd expect that they're going to have to find one or face a lot of scrutiny. Kirk Cousins, for example, won't cut it.

3. The journalists have consistently dropped the ball in asking the right questions about Mike Williams. If we're to believe that the reason he didn't play was because his position (can't play slot apparently?), then how come other coaches have no problem utilizing special formations to target their talented players?

4. Marrone seemed to truly not understand what it takes for CJ Spiller to be effective. When prompted about Chan's offense, he claims he's studied it. Something is wrong then.

My prediction of Russ Brandon's opening comments (assuming he is there and talking):

"Going forward we will hold a series of robust discussions empowering us to proactively effect productive change and reach out to the fans of the Buffalo Bills, streamline our operations, and develop a synergistic relationship creating a system of winning sustainability. We're all very excited about the future. And of course, relieving you of your money."

Mike Schopp's first comment after PC: "I really think this coach is pretty much close to being unlistenable."

LOL.

I'd rather listen to Marrone every day than one more day of this guy and his dice rolling, card playing unrealistic idea of football and how it works.