Bills radio (Mike Schopp is awful)

tito1

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Other posters have already stated the multitude of reasons why they suck -- but if you disagree I challenge you to listen to any other market -- literally any other market -- and compare. The on air talent at WGR are the bottom of the barrel in terms of entertainment, knowledge of the sports they're covering (seriously, some don't even know the rosters of the local teams let alone the larger league issues), and almost every one has a terrible personality on air and a worse voice.

They're GARBAGE -- unlike the win today which was not garbage no matter what you think. 9-7 is a major difference than 8-8 -- especially when it came in a place they haven't won in 11 years. To think otherwise is to hate just to hate. It's not novel, nor is it illuminating -- both of which a talk radio host should be every day.

You're crazy. There are no garbage wins in the NFL, especially not against the *pats on the road with two of our best defenders on the shelf and a pop warner offense at the helm. Criticize elements of the win, sure, but to write it off as garbage shows your own bias and lack of awareness. It does not surprise me that the idiots on the post game felt like you do -- it's what makes them terrible on air talents.

I did not intend to start an argument on this thread so if it looks like I did, I apologize. Let's agree on a bunch of things: I wanted to win today. Very badly actually, as I had money at stake. I am really glad they won and I agree that 9-7 is a big step forward. I already said the defense played fantastic today- I don't care who it was up against. Orton looked great for most of the first half. Great. All I said (or I guess meant to say) was that their offense did not inspire me in the second half and it felt like kind of an empty win. Punting on that 4th and 1 was absolutely inexcusable and I'm sure Schopp would agree with me on that. You got Jacksonville throwing laterals to receivers who are throwing touchdowns and meanwhile we run up the gut on 3rd and 1 and then punt with a chance to go for the jugular. Both of us playing meaningless games. Does anyone here feel any better about Marrone or Orton after this win than they did before it? I don't. EDIT: Also in my original post that you quoted, I said that I like Schopp and Bulldog better than the afternoon drive guys where I live, which is twice the market size of Buffalo. Al and D-Mac in Denver. Complete and utter jabronis.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I did not intend to start an argument on this thread so if it looks like I did, I apologize. Let's agree on a bunch of things: I wanted to win today. Very badly actually, as I had money at stake. I am really glad they won and I agree that 9-7 is a big step forward. I already said the defense played fantastic today- I don't care who it was up against. Orton looked great for most of the first half. Great. All I said (or I guess meant to say) was that their offense did not inspire me in the second half and it felt like kind of an empty win. Punting on that 4th and 1 was absolutely inexcusable and I'm sure Schopp would agree with me on that. You got Jacksonville throwing laterals to receivers who are throwing touchdowns and meanwhile we run up the gut on 3rd and 1 and then punt with a chance to go for the jugular. Both of us playing meaningless games. Does anyone here feel any better about Marrone or Orton after this win than they did before it? I don't.

I could not watch the game closely since I was working. Are you referring to 4th and 1 in the fourth while they had an 8 point lead? If yes then get over it. I just saw Harbaugh punt from the AZ 39 yard line with a 3 point lead.

The truth is all coaches play the field position game. To say Marrone should be fired for that is just nuts.

I could not watch the game closely since I was working. Are you referring to 4th and 1 in the fourth while they had an 8 point lead? If yes then get over it. I just saw Harbaugh punt from the AZ 39 yard line with a 3 point lead.

The truth is all coaches play the field position game. To say Marrone should be fired for that is just nuts.

Uhh I never said nor do I think Marrone should be fired. If you disagree with me about him needing to be a little more aggressive with his play calling next year then let's just agree to disagree. Geez this place became the Doug Marrone fan club all of a sudden. EDIT: Ya know what? No. All coaches do not punt in that situation. Of course all coaches play the field position game but that was pathetic. If they were planning on punting then throw on 3rd down. The game didn't count, you realize this, right? If it was a playoff game perhaps I would have gone along with it. Hopefully we get a real QB in next year who would laugh at Marrone for calling the run up the gut on 3rd when you know you're punting on 4th and audible the play at the line. My God, is this not still the same board of people who chastised the now infamous slide by Orton a few weeks back?? What happened to you people? I suppose if they would've won that game, people would've been defending the slide too.

Uhh I never said nor do I think Marrone should be fired. If you disagree with me about him needing to be a little more aggressive with his play calling next year then let's just agree to disagree. Geez this place became the Doug Marrone fan club all of a sudden. EDIT: Ya know what? No. All coaches do not punt in that situation. Of course all coaches play the field position game but that was pathetic. If they were planning on punting then throw on 3rd down. The game didn't count, you realize this, right? If it was a playoff game perhaps I would have gone along with it. Hopefully we get a real QB in next year who would laugh at Marrone for calling the run up the gut on 3rd when you know you're punting on 4th and audible the play at the line. My God, is this not still the same board of people who chastised the now infamous slide by Orton a few weeks back?? What happened to you people? I suppose if they would've won that game, people would've been defending the slide too.

Winning 9 games earns fans, I guess. I don't think Marrone is as conservative as you think. There is a difference between conservative and knowing you don't have the players. With this O-line going for it on 4th and 1 is foolhardy.

Jacksonville Tennessee Washington St Louis and Philly is who Beckham has played in his last 5 games. How nice.

Sammy has played pretty much every top pass D in the league....Revis twice and the Dolphins (very good pass D) also twice...

With garbage QB play.

Beckham is great. He's going to be.

Pretty confident that Sammy is too. It's a nice luxury that one of them has a 2 time super bowl QB throwing him the ball in a dam good offense run by an actual NFL OC.

Cleveland can have and blow the 20th pick.

It's like you're formulating an argument against a team that traded up for Beckham, thinking that he is the only great WR in the draft. Unfortunately here on planet earth, team with known commodity of crap at QB did that for Sammy. So ya know, quibbling about schedules is incredibly weak.

Edited by BuffOrange

Winning 9 games earns fans, I guess. I don't think Marrone is as conservative as you think. There is a difference between conservative and knowing you don't have the players. With this O-line going for it on 4th and 1 is foolhardy.

I don't know how you could be any more conservative than Doug Marrone has been this season. I really, honestly don't. Again, I think 9 wins certainly earns him another season but when did he make any decision involving the clock or a play he called that you could use the word "innovative" to describe? Which is what Whaley and Marrone promised us? Which Schopp likes to point out frequently and I agree with him. You see, they have a better than 50% chance of getting one yard on two plays. You get that one yard, game essentially over. Instead you make a decision that gives them a 100% chance of getting the ball back- all for trading 20 yards of field position. Within two plays, they're right back to where the Bills punted from! And the offensive line played pretty good today fwiw. I am not "go for it on your own 30 on 4th down because analytics and number crunchers say so" guy. In this situation, we're talking pure common sense.

That's the thing about Schoop. He wants to turn football into a card game. He never considers that different teams have different abilities.

After hearing Schopp say he wishes the Bills would have been annihilated today, I can't take that guy seriously anymore. How can any hometown sports announcer wish that their team gets beaten badly? The guy is an embarrassment to radio and to Bills fans.

I didn't know he said that. What was his reasoning? Is there a context involved here? God I hate these anti-violence commercials where the actors can't compose themselves. What do they do with the actor who comes in to speak about violence and is relatively composed? It's so insultingly contrived.

I didn't know he said that. What was his reasoning? Is there a context involved here? God I hate these anti-violence commercials where the actors can't compose themselves. What do they do with the actor who comes in to speak about violence and is relatively composed? It's so insultingly contrived.

Schopp was comparing the Bills win today as a preseason game, meaning it was meaningless, then went on to say he wished the Bills would have been annihilated today.

I don't know how you could be any more conservative than Doug Marrone has been this season. I really, honestly don't. Again, I think 9 wins certainly earns him another season but when did he make any decision involving the clock or a play he called that you could use the word "innovative" to describe? Which is what Whaley and Marrone promised us? Which Schopp likes to point out frequently and I agree with him. You see, they have a better than 50% chance of getting one yard on two plays. You get that one yard, game essentially over. Instead you make a decision that gives them a 100% chance of getting the ball back- all for trading 20 yards of field position. Within two plays, they're right back to where the Bills punted from! And the offensive line played pretty good today fwiw. I am not "go for it on your own 30 on 4th down because analytics and number crunchers say so" guy. In this situation, we're talking pure common sense.

The answer to all your questions is: we didn't have the players Marrone felt could pull off innovative and aggressive. For whatever reason, probably because Cujo and Richardson did not play up to their draft pick, our O-line sucked. It's hard to do much when the opposing defense is in your backfield like going through a turnstile.

So when you have no offense, but a great defense, why wouldn't you play conservative? That's common sense. To play aggressive with that major flaw is inviting disaster.

Schopp was comparing the Bills win today as a preseason game, meaning it was meaningless, then went on to say he wished the Bills would have been annihilated today.

Then the game would mean something :doh:

We have a 50% chance of getting 1 yard? What O-line have you been watching?

The answer to all your questions is: we didn't have the players Marrone felt could pull off innovative and aggressive. For whatever reason, probably because Cujo and Richardson did not play up to their draft pick, our O-line sucked. It's hard to do much when the opposing defense is in your backfield like going through a turnstile.

So when you have no offense, but a great defense, why wouldn't you play conservative? That's common sense. To play aggressive with that major flaw is inviting disaster.

Then the game would mean something :doh:

You don't think that Doug Marrone is that conservative. I don't think the offensive line was that bad today. That is the crux of our disagreement. I still like you though. I know you are a respected and old school poster. Oh what do you know, the Bengals just went for it on 4th and 1 on the 41. And they got it.

We have a 50% chance of getting 1 yard? What O-line have you been watching?

Well they average more than one yard per play. Tell ya what, look up the numbers for NFL teams in 2014 on 1 yard to go situations and tell me what the percentages are. I'm sure they're well over 60%. Maybe 70. I know 2 point conversions are around 49 or so. And again, the o-line played fine today. And if you are punting on 4th if you don't get it on 3rd, then why did they run up the middle on 3rd? Somebody please tell me this.

You don't think that Doug Marrone is that conservative. I don't think the offensive line was that bad today. That is the crux of our disagreement. I still like you though. I know you are a respected and old school poster. Oh what do you know, the Bengals just went for it on 4th and 1 on the 41. And they got it.

Well they average more than one yard per play. Tell ya what, look up the numbers for NFL teams in 2014 on 1 yard to go situations and tell me what the percentages are. I'm sure they're well over 60%. Maybe 70. I know 2 point conversions are around 49 or so. And again, the o-line played fine today. And if you are punting on 4th if you don't get it on 3rd, then why did they run up the middle on 3rd? Somebody please tell me this.

Why don't you look at the Bills pct. On short yardage plays. It ain't 50/50. It probably ain't 25/75.

Are the Bills "NFL teams" or are they the Bills?

Lots of teams play field position. Lots of teams play conservative. Boiling down the numbers as proof when game situations are completely different is dumb. If our defense is allowing 0 yards, and our O has mustered 3 points, why wouldn't you punt?

Why don't you look up the Bills numbers for 4th down conversions. Better yet, show me how many games we lost and didn't go for it on 4th vs the games we punted and won.

My wife rarely, if ever, listens to sports radio. Today, she heard Schopp as we were running errands after the game. She was appalled. "Who is that arrogant idiot talking like that to people?" she asked me. "How does he even have a job?"

That's what tops my long list of problems with this prick. I can't even say it's his point of view, most of the time. Listen folks, the Bills have led the league in futility for FIFTEEN STRAIGHT YEARS! How can (or why should they?) announcers put a smiley face on a meaningless win after a decade and a half of such a pathetic streak? Do we win this game if the Patriots were playing for home field advantage throughout the playoffs? Come on. I enjoy the wins like anyone else, but I have context, too. Can't wait for the 16th Russ Brandon hocus pocus marketing machine to fire up again at draft time, 1st round pick or not. Accuse me of being negative, that's fine. Fifteen years of mediocre (at best) is a low standard for happiness.

Schopp is:

Arrogant, impatient, condescending, eager to ridicule, abrupt, flippant, and rude. He thinks his obvious intent to spark controversy with callers appeals to listeners when instead he comes off like a smart ass and a prick. Then when a caller has the audacity to challenge Schopp's superior opinion on any given matter, the caller is summarily cut off and belittled as if the caller's position is an outrage or beneath a response from the Chosen One. (Clinically, this is called narcissism).

Again, I can't even get to his opinion because his demeanor and disrespect cannot be overcome by his questionable sports knowledge.

Why don't you look at the Bills pct. On short yardage plays. It ain't 50/50. It probably ain't 25/75.

If you really think the Bills have converted at less than a 25% clip on one yard to go situations in 2014, I think it's best we just call it a night. They converted at 36% of all 3rd downs all season- which includes all 3rd downs, 3rd and long, etc. I am sorry my friend but you are misinformed on this one.

Still miss "The Coach" Chuck Dickerson. Was great to listen to him break down plays. O line plays, schemes, stuff like that. Would take calls and yell at the stupid callers, agree with the smart callers. And criticize the organization relentlesly. That guy was great. Bulldog replaced him, i think, then Scoop came along right after that. Ah, the old days...

He would actually talk about football, instead of how he had to hold his wifes purse while she tried on dresses at the mall like those two

Edited by mastershake

Are the Bills "NFL teams" or are they the Bills?

Lots of teams play field position. Lots of teams play conservative. Boiling down the numbers as proof when game situations are completely different is dumb. If our defense is allowing 0 yards, and our O has mustered 3 points, why wouldn't you punt?

Why don't you look up the Bills numbers for 4th down conversions. Better yet, show me how many games we lost and didn't go for it on 4th vs the games we punted and won.

The Bills are 43% on all 4th downs, which again, includes 4th and all situations. Every team in the history of football has a better than 50% chance of getting one yard in any situation ever. You guys are just not math people, are you?

The Bills are 43% on all 4th downs, which again, includes 4th and all situations. Every team in the history of football has a better than 50% chance of getting one yard in any situation ever. You guys are just not math people, are you?

Show me.

Can a coach be aggressive on third down and reasonably conservative on 4th?

Edited by FireChan

It's like you're formulating an argument against a team that traded up for Beckham, thinking that he is the only great WR in the draft. Unfortunately here on planet earth, team with known commodity of crap at QB did that for Sammy. So ya know, quibbling about schedules is incredibly weak.

And the d-bags in the Buffalo media trolling over the trade is incredibly weak too. The same clowns who thought at one point Manziel should be the pick.

What makes this even more ridiculous is that it's trolling over who the better WR is. Like we passed on Manning to take Leaf. Like we had a shot at a franchise QB and blew it. Such a joke. They've gotten to the point the organization can do nothing right and it's incredibly annoying.

And their whining is weak bc essentially it's like we missed out on Julio Jones........but got Dez Bryant. Who played through 2 pretty tough injuries, 1 awful quarterback, and another he never met til late August.

Traded the 20th pick this year to do it a mistake? Yea I'm gonna bet we won't be missing out on much.

If you really think the Bills have converted at less than a 25% clip on one yard to go situations in 2014, I think it's best we just call it a night. They converted at 36% of all 3rd downs all season- which includes all 3rd downs, 3rd and long, etc. I am sorry my friend but you are misinformed on this one.

Is 36% supposed to be good. You'd be happy failing on 4th 2 out of 3 times?

Show me.

Can a coach be aggressive on third down and reasonably conservative on 4th?

I'm looking right now but can't find it. But considering the worst team in the league averages 4.6 yards/play and 2 point conversions are executed at a 49% clip, logically I would venture to guess that the success rate for every team is at least if not well over 50% on 1 yard to go situations. Probably 60%. And again, if you're punting fine, then thrown on 3rd. He was basically saying, "dude I cannot wait to punt here, it's gonna be awesome. Save 20 yards in field position at the expense of ending the game with one yard? I am licking my chops to trot Schmidt out there."

Is 36% supposed to be good. You'd be happy failing on 4th 2 out of 3 times?

No it's below average. BUT THAT IS 3RD AND ALL SITUATIONS. LIKE INCLUDING 3RD AND 18's. YOU SAID THE CHANCES OF THEM CONVERTING 3RD AND 1's IS LESS THAN 25%. It was an utterly preposterous statement. Dude it wasn't 4th and 7, it was 4th and 1. And it was an exhibition game. And they were in New England territory. And 1 yard wins it. This is becoming very frustrating.

I'm looking right now but can't find it. But considering the worst team in the league averages 4.6 yards/play and 2 point conversions are executed at a 49% clip, logically I would venture to guess that the success rate for every team is at least if not well over 50% on 1 yard to go situations. Probably 60%. And again, if you're punting fine, then thrown on 3rd. He was basically saying, "dude I cannot wait to punt here, it's gonna be awesome. Save 20 yards in field position at the expense of ending the game with one yard? I am licking my chops to trot Schmidt out there."

It's one play. In a game our defense was dominating and we won. Who cares?

Marrone has been aggressive against teams that could give our defenses fits, like Denver and GB. Otherwise, he plays to our strengths and uses the best parts of the team, the defense and ST, to get the team in good positions. This approach won him 9 games.

Alright you guys win. I will talk to you tomorrow when your heads are ringing after partying all night celebrating the Bills' 17-9 victory after scoring 0 points in the second half against a team basically playing a preseason game. They better get a better QB for 2015 because they cannot afford to waste another season with this defense. And it will be amazing again next year, I have no doubt. Sam Bradford is my guy. I guess we'll see.

All of this just begs the question lf why the coordinator never calls the most successful shortyardage play in football: the qb sneak. The pats do it all of the time and it works like 90 percent of the time. The bills never do it, and their performance in short yardage running plays is generally abysmal.

All of this just begs the question lf why the coordinator never calls the most successful shortyardage play in football: the qb sneak. The pats do it all of the time and it works like 90 percent of the time. The bills never do it, and their performance in short yardage running plays is generally abysmal.

Yeah no s***. Tom Brady's career % on 1 yard to go QB sneaks is something like 98%. But according to PTR we are 25% on 3rd/4th and 1's despite the fact that we are 36 and 43% on all 3rd and 4th downs.

I agree. It drives me friggin insane during games. I want them to go no huddle quick snap QB sneak. Just get the friggin yard and keep the drive alive. The Bills act like a one yard play is the most complicated play of a game. It's a friggin yard. Just go get it. More times than not, you will get it. Stop giving the defense so much time to prepare for it. Just go sneak it.

Why do they suck? One is a condescending, arrogant card-collecting geek whose tone, attitude, and disdain are un-listenable. The other is too afraid to have an opinion that differs from the geek because he's afraid he'll get the same treatment everyone else does... disgust and being dismissed and derided.

We're absolutely bereft of a single quality member of the media in this outside-the-top-50 media market with one newspaper and one sports radio channel.

I guess if I were Sullivan, Schopp, Parker, Gleason, etc I'd be miserable working in a minor market covering losing teams.

That, as they say, is that! Can't say it any better.

It's one play. In a game our defense was dominating and we won. Who cares?

Marrone has been aggressive against teams that could give our defenses fits, like Denver and GB. Otherwise, he plays to our strengths and uses the best parts of the team, the defense and ST, to get the team in good positions. This approach won him 9 games.

And if our defense was dominating them then why would be scared to defend them starting at the 40 instead of the 20. Do you realize we gave them the ball to save 20 yards of field position at the expense of probably sealing the game with one yard. This does not take a college level probability course to understand.

And the d-bags in the Buffalo media trolling over the trade is incredibly weak too. The same clowns who thought at one point Manziel should be the pick.

What makes this even more ridiculous is that it's trolling over who the better WR is. Like we passed on Manning to take Leaf. Like we had a shot at a franchise QB and blew it. Such a joke. They've gotten to the point the organization can do nothing right and it's incredibly annoying.

And their whining is weak bc essentially it's like we missed out on Julio Jones........but got Dez Bryant. Who played through 2 pretty tough injuries, 1 awful quarterback, and another he never met til late August.

Traded the 20th pick this year to do it a mistake? Yea I'm gonna bet we won't be missing out on much.

The point is positively not who the better player is. It's you can have Julio or Dez - I'll take the other guy and a 1st Rd pick.

Pretty sure you know this but hear what you want to hear.

And if our defense was dominating them then why would be scared to defend them starting at the 40 instead of the 20. Do you realize we gave them the ball to save 20 yards of field position at the expense of probably sealing the game with one yard. This does not take a college level probability course to understand.

You have more faith in our offense gaining one yard than our defense holding up an 80 yard TD drive by Jimmy Gandolfini. That's okay. I don't

You have more faith in our offense gaining one yard than our defense holding up an 80 yard TD drive by Jimmy Gandolfini. That's okay. I don't

You're omitting the 60yard TD part of the equation, which is kind of important.

80 vs 60 discrepancy >>> 4th&1 %

Edited by BuffOrange

You're omitting the 60yard TD part of the equation, which is kind of important.

80 vs 60 discrepancy >>> 4th&1 %

thank you. Although I would argue that the odds of getting that yard outweighs the importance of holding them to a 60 yard drive as opposed to an 80 yard drive. Just get the freaking yard and end the game.

Long time listener, first time caller.

Schopp was insufferable today on the post-game. He was a jerk to everyone that called in. He insisted that the win somehow shouldn't count against the Pats AFC home win streak because the Pats "chose" not to win (totally disregarding that they lost the 1st half with Brady) but never considered that the Pats have won several similar games during that streak. So the wins count for the Pats streak, but the loss in a similar situation shouldn't? What a d*ck. Then he says he doesn't want to discuss whether or not the game meant anything, but keeps resetting the point on his own.

This. Schoop says "Let me know what you think". Then the first caller had the temerity to look at the bright side and say this is a team that has dominated us and it was nice to get a win against them. He said that it might even be a catalyst game like the 1980 home opener against Miami. Schoop went ABSOLUTELY NUTS on the guy. For stating his opinion. I turned off the post-game show after that.

I remember Schoop in the Empire days, and he never did that. He was going up against a guy on WGR that used to do that regularly (what was his name again, the Coach or something?) Schoop even said in those days that he would never act like the Coach and shout down callers. Clearly he lied, and forgot where he came from. Schopp has become a hack, so shame on him. It would be nice if he would go back to being a reasonable host, like when he started on Empire.

I was pleased with the win today and happy as hell we put an end to all the home streaks the Pats* had going for them. With that said, was I impressed? Not really. First off Brady is a much different QB without Gronk, so seeing him struggle was no surprise. But the Bills scoring zero points in the second half against second and third stringers was pretty pathetic. This offense still has a long long way to go. Really hoping for at least a new OC for next season along with some major upgrades on the OL.