Marrone or Whaley, Who Stays?

rfk

What does Brandon bring to the tables, re: football? He's full of BS in my opinion, and his "culture change" crap was just that. Seriously,

Trying to save HIS job?

Team doesn't show up for most important game in years?

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to speculate about what Pettine could have said then go right ahead.

Where am I asking the same question over and over hoping to get the answer I want to hear? I asked it once, I was given an answer and didn't really buy into it. That's pretty much it. There's no sour grapes about it. NFL coaches generally show respect to other coaches in the media. Those words may have truth to them. They may not. If Marrone is in fact well respected around the league then that doesn't make me upset, nor does it really change my opinion about his ability to coach this team. It certainly wouldn't be a factor to me in whether or not he should stay as the HC. It may for others.

I'm also just doubtful that Marrone's positive reputation around the league is suddenly news to you. It reads as selective memory.

May be I'm wrong.

See my post above. As for the defense, people who don't think he had anything to do with it are probably the same sort of people who don't give Parcells credit. In other words, they're wrong. One of the most important jobs of a head coach is hiring staff. If you can't lure good staff, you're failing at your job. He hired Pettine and Schwartz. He did not hire the equivalent of George Edwards.

Ahem… He hired the equivalent of George Edwards on Offense. You give him credit for the DC hires, I do as well. I blame him for Hackett. Marrone has done good things. But he is stubborn. Ultimately, it’s probably best for him and Whaley to stay for continuity purposes.

IF it comes down to a choice though, I would choose Whaley. At least Whaley has some cojones. Marrone will punt on 4th & 1 at the opponents 38 yard line, and do it time and time again. Whaley is aggressive. I can accept a mistake of conviction, provided there is evidence of successes too. Whaley has successfully addressed the Bills depth issues. He has added serious talent at various positions. Marrone is not what he said he would be when he was hired. He is not aggressive. He is not progressive. He reminds me of many veteran, re-tread coaches the way he operates on game day. Would he be different with a better QB option? Maybe, but then I doubt it. People tend to be what they are. Even if Brady were the QB, he’d probably be more apt to play his percentages and punt. He mismanages the clock at the end of halfs/games. If he stays I hope he improves and gets closer to what he said he would be when first hired.

Edited by purple haze

Ahem… He hired the equivalent of George Edwards on Offense. You give him credit for the DC hires, I do as well. I blame him for Hackett. Marrone has done good things. But he is stubborn. Ultimately, it’s probably best for him and Whaley to stay for continuity purposes.

I think this is why nobody is going anywhere. Whaley has gotten the pieces in place...they just need better OL and QB play.

I hated some of Marrone's in-game decisions, too, but I can't imagine them changing things now. If nothing on the field changes next year, then it's time to move on.

They are a package deal IMO.

New leadership is needed here. The goal is the Super Bowl not just the playoffs. The whole culture change talk is a joke. Culture change starts from the top down.

I've been very critical of Marrone, but looking at it objectively, Whaley has performed worse over the last two years. The fact remains that most of our studs on D were not drafted or signed by him and Marrone hired both Pettine and Schwartz.

Edited by BrooklynBills

Dude, I'm not looking for a fight. I'm just stating some facts. You act as if I'm Marrone's advocate. I'm not. I just think that if one is to go, there are things weighing in his favor. Not saying it's right or smart.

I bet you would find equal or greater support around the league for Whaley. I also think that Polian no longer believes Marrone should get any coach of the year votes. Polian said that right after the huge Green Bay win. The Bills looked primed. They had just looked good against Manning and the Broncos too. After last week all of that is gone. There is no way, IMO, Polian thinks he should get one coach of the year vote. Especially after what is likely to be an 8-8 season.

And the support Marrone got from coaches was before he started. I'm sure most guys getting head coach jobs after careers as position or coordinators would get similar support and grades. In fact, head coaches immediately drool over the jobs other head coaches do. It's a fraternity. They know how difficult it is. They never badmouth other coaches, just the opposite, just in case they ever need a job or need to hire someone themselves.

I believe they both likely stay. I can't imagine Whaley getting the boot (even if Polian is brought in at some position) and I think Whaley probably did enough to keep his job. I get the feeling real football people admire what he has done in Buffalo. His job might hinge on him replacing the OC and some guys don't go for that.

But it's a new dawn, it's a new day, so I suppose anything could happen.

Other than having a voice at the table, I don't believe Brandon will have the power to hire, or fire, anyone on the football side of the organization.

I wasn't suggesting that he would have that power. I would have to think though that whatever Pegula decides on Marrone would be an indictment on Brandon.

I have heard the following to happen:

Bye bye to Russ Brandon

Whaley & Marrone stay

bye bye to hacket

bye bye to OL coach

possible bye bye 1 defensive asst

new structure displayed next week

I would be OK with this. I want Brandon gone, if for no other reason than he is a link to the 15 years of futility. I have doubts that Marrone would fire Hackett though.

Whaley for sure. He has assembled alot of the pieces. This team was such a mess you cannot do it all over night. That being said relationships can be repaired and Marrone probably stays. Hacket needs to go he just isnt a NFL coach at any spot on the offensive side. We need a bonified OC, line coach, and QB coach to groom Manuel. While we are at it dont be surprised to see a decent QB like bradford come in. He may need a change of scenery as well.

I don't know what you see in Marrone. On top of everything else, he's stubborn beyond reason. Losing him is equivalent to losing nothing.

Marrone is about as average of a NFL coach as there is. He could be replaced by Gus Brqdley and there's no difference.

Whaley is growing into his position and had a great eye for talent. He's not perfect but he's a lot more valuable than Marrone.

Fire Marrone and get a real offensive coach who can develop Qbs.

Most preseason pundits had the Bills winning 3-5 games. I don't remember the over-under in Vegas. Either 5.5 or 6.5. I would argue that most of those pundits don't give 10 minutes thought on the Bills because they have been irrelevant for years. Therefore, the accuracy of those predictions was questionable.

I got angry at those predictions, because to me it was obvious that Bills had more talent than that, and they should win 10. That was before Kiko got hurt. After that i would have dropped to 9-7 or 8-8. Which is exactly where we are.

I don't know if Pegula should dump either of those guys. I like Whaley's aggressiveness on draft day. I'd keep him around for that. Now that the new owner is in place, I think he'll give Whaley the backing to keep who we want, and to sign some good talent. Whaley is good. I don't know about Marrone. If he insists on keeping Hackett, he's gonna have to go. If he doesn't replace the line coach, he's got to go.

The only reason he got to that record was with the NFL's best defense which he had nothing to do with. You say he's well respected, well how do you know that? Who are these "a lot of backers"? Other teams blow smoke because they want you to keep your bad head coach. Bill Polian? He isn't "a lot of backers". Polian got many things wrong in his career. He was lucky to have both Kelly and Manning. You could argue that his having only one Superbowl win with both Kelly and Manning was a very bad mark on his record.

List the current head coaches that Doug Marrone is better than. Then list the NFL teams who would want Whaley's Bills defense.

We will find out very shortly how the Pegula's feel about the matter. My sense is that the feeling will be that Marrone is by far the biggest thing holding this team back. I think he's gone on Monday, a day after the Pats beat the Bills even using their backups for the entire second half.

Interesting how it's Whaley's defense and Marrone's offense.