Did Whaley Panic?

rfk

• Replies 157
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he panicked more with Cujo than with Sammy. They forced that pick because the plan going into the draft was to upgrade the OL, the guy was badly beaten all pre-season. IIRC, it wasn't a very good draft for offensive fat guys.

I don't think it was panic. He gambled. He didn't necessarily lose. Sammy is very good.

Sammy has been playing injured with several tweaks and bruises. My concern is that he may be more fragile than anyone thought he would be, but we won't know if that is true until he has been in the league for a few years.

The train wreck at QB is hard to figure out. Last year, Thad played pretty well, and the plan at draft time was probably that between Thad and EJ the QB position would be good enough. Who knew that Thad would wash out in pre-season, and that EJ would not show progress with more playing time. The plan to get Orton off his couch was probably not in the conversation at draft time.

I don't think it was panic. He gambled. He didn't necessarily lose. Sammy is very good.

Sammy has been playing injured with several tweaks and bruises. My concern is that he may be more fragile than anyone thought he would be, but we won't know if that is true until he has been in the league for a few years.

The train wreck at QB is hard to figure out. Last year, Thad played pretty well, and the plan at draft time was probably that between Thad and EJ the QB position would be good enough. Who knew that Thad would wash out in pre-season, and that EJ would not show progress with more playing time. The plan to get Orton off his couch was probably not in the conversation at draft time.

I agree, no one could foresee Thad Lewis regressing the way he did, I was sincerely expecting some growth in his game.

When he took Sammy...looks that way now, he bit and lost...I wonder who Nix would have taken to complement his francheese QB?

what? How did he panic? Let's find out if he lost after a few years.

I can just picture the same exact topic for Beckham with these QBs that we have.

"Did Whaley panic and grab a Beckham because Evans was gone? Why don't we ever trade up? Watkins is doing amazing on the Giants"

I know Bills fans have a habit of running their players out of town but geez. Give them a shot/chance before calling them a bust. These are less than ideal QB situations.

If you didn't mean the Watkins/1st over Beckham deal, then I apologize for my assumption.

At this point Beckham and this years first > Watkins and no first this year. This year's first could have been used in multiple ways to get a better QB. It will take a couple of years to really tell if Watkins was worth it, but at this point he certainly wasn't. Not because he isn't a good player but because of the many needs the Bills have.

Watkins was always contingent on getting the OL in order and a capable QB. If we ever do that, we will be glad to have him. If not, he'll be wasted and leave after is rookie deal is up (similar to CJ who could be still be great).

Edited by MoreOffense

It's funny how people rip the Bills for being too conservative but then rip them for being aggressive.

yeah, they are fine. just haven't found a QB yet. Simple as that. Not sure EJ isn't it just yet. Marrone bailed pretty fast on him, but once the season starts , you either have it or you don't as a QB, training camp is over and the development period is largely over (as a starter) until the next off season. I wonder if they still think he can do it and their just cleaning up his mechanics all this season. We shall see. of course if the coaching staff gets flushed EJ is toast.

Watkins was always contingent on getting the OL in order and a capable QB. If we ever do that, we will be glad to have him. If not, he'll be wasted and leave after is rookie deal is up (similar to CJ who could be still be great).

CJ could easily end up with the Pats. Watch out.

There aren't enough people in the world good enough to be starting pitchers to fill all the rotations on all the major league baseball teams, and there aren't enough people in the world good enough to be franchise QBs in the NFL. The teams that have those franchise QBs are the ones in the playoffs -- just look at the standings. Half the league is moaning about their deficient QBs, Until we fix this, and beat out all the other wannabees in the same situation we're in, we'll be scratching at the door. It's great to have a strong defense for a change, but we need one of those good QBs.

If you want to talk about panicking, look what Washington gave up to get RGIII. Granted that poor guy was seriously screwed by his coach, ruining his career to play in a playoff game instead of protecting his body and going for long-term success. But RGIII has shown he doesn't really have the vision or judgement to make it as a top-notch QB. The Skins gave up the store and now the cupboard is bare.

Maybe it didn't make sense to give up so much for Watkins without already having the answer in hand at QB. Sure it would be nice if we could wait for Beckham and keep the first next year. But odds are the Bills would have screwed that up, and next year's as well. At least now they've got the really good #1 WR they've needed since Eric Moulds left. Or Andre Reed left, take your pick.

Edited by Utah John

Hindsight is sooooo easy. Everyone can look back in their life and see mistakes or choices they would have made differently. Ultimately, it wasn't a panic move. It was a gamble calling it waste after 15 games is a joke and not even worthy of a discussion. This kid has been fantastic, playing hurt, with a garbage OL and a mediocre QB. He's going to have a 1,000 yards and has already bested the rookie yards record for the team. I still say its a damn good pick, even with giving up a 1.

Beckham made the catch of the decade (maybe best ever). He also runs open, has pass plays designed for him to catch balls and make easy catches. He has a good qb who looks to him and delivers the pass. Sammy has none of that. Outside one pass to goodwin, and the 89 yarder to watkins vs. the jets, I remember no long passes completed to a wr in stride.... Every week we see QB's hitting those passes and I see 1-2 passes where a receiver actually breaks open and Orton overthrows him.....

I remember an earlier post about targets and the # of uncatchable and bad balls thrown to Watkins is criminal......

No panic and the bills have a receiver fans can get excited for if ever there is a passable qb!!!!

Edited by Billsfan1972

Two years from now when Sammy is one of the best nobody will care about what we gave up to draft him. The question is whether the people that drafted him will still be here. I more concerned with the potential whiff on Kujowhateverhisnameis. Maybe he will improve for next year.

Unless they get some top notch NFL caliber experienced coaching on the offensive side of the ball they are just spinning their wheels. The complete lack of a run game is inexcusable. Marrones only chance at not going 3 and out is to fire his little buddy and get some help.

When he took Sammy...looks that way now, he bit and lost...I wonder who Nix would have taken to complement his francheese QB?

Panic is not the right word IMO. He took Sammy because he was going all in for 2014. Misguided might be a better word. Misguided in his belief that EJ was ready to take advantage of Watkins' talent.

As productive as Watkins has been -- and setting franchise records under these circumstance certainly qualifies -- I think he's not playing to his potential. Instead of running his routes full out and expecting the ball to be where it's supposed to be, he's at 90% of full speed because he knows he will usually have to make an adjustment to complete the catch. Most of the key big catches this year have been balls higher than they should have been where the receiver stopped running and leaped up to make a great acrobatic catch. Well that's exciting and all, but usually that means not many YAC, and in time it will get our WRs killed. EJ and Orton are just about equally guilty of this.

No panic, this was their plan. Had they not traded up, they most likely would have selected Eric Ebron (whom I really wanted the Bills to pick). Eric Ebron is not lighting the field on fire even with a semi decent QB. As a Bills fan I am very content with the Watkins deal.

Even with the very good year he had, he has plenty of develoment potential as most WRs do as they go into their second year. Find the Bills a more accurate passing QB and the sky is his limit.

Unfortunately not having a no. 1 in the next draft looms large at this point and is a dent in this shiny deal.

Let's see how they recover this off season.

Edited by jethro_tull

Don Banks at si.com has an article regarding the 2015 coaching carousel and suggests that some think Whaley is vulnerable because of overdrafting Manuel and the cost of moving up for Watkins with Beckham available. Interesting that Whaley is being blamed for EJ, I still have no idea whether that is fair or not.

At this moment, we draft at 16 next year, probably 15 after this week. We weren't getting one of the top QBs anyway. And would anyone really be calling for us to reach for a 2nd round QB with our 1st round pick anyway?

Put a different way would we want which of the following:

Watkins minus a 2015 1st and 4th

Mariotta minus a 2016 1st + a likely 2017 1st + possibly more to move up to 1st overall

Winston minus a 2016 1st + a likely 2017 1st + possibly more to move up to 2nd overall

Not trade up at all, and hope a "fly under the radar franchise QB falls to us" at pick 15

I think I'll still take Watkins. No I don't know how we will get a franchise QB.