Mel Kiper: No franchise QBs in 2015 draft

YoloinOhio

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally agree with you. It is rather astounding that Winston's talent doesn't classify him as a "franchise QB" to the likes of Mel Kiper. But then - Mel Kiper's opinion isn't worth a damn anyways. Completely disagree with those that think Mariotta is better than Winston - but we will soon have a great chance to compare them. Winston naysayers will soon get a dose of reality when he becomes a great QB - IF he doesn't turn pro in baseball first (which I would do in a heartbeat rather than get beat up physically in th NFL).

Winston's not very bright. He's a low-class punk. And FFS please no more FSU QBs.

i think the Big Board means where he thinks they will be picked, but not necessarily his ranking of the players

I'm not sure if it's by where he thinks they'll be picked or who he thinks the best prospect are. If I had to guess it'd be who the best prospects are. McShay is done by grade so it's best prospects.

Mel Kiper Jr.

“If [Jimmy Clausen] is not a successful starting quarterback in the NFL, I'm done. That's it. I'm out.”

That's just stupid. An analysts of a known crap shoot figuratively bets his career on a prospect panning out?? Then of course he keeps plugging along as if nothing was said at all. What a useless waste of space.

Well this is something. Regardless of what has transpired with Griffin, he was certainly very highly thought of at draft time.

@NFL_CFB: AFC scout: Marcus Mariota will grade significantly higher than RGIII. http://t.co/5x8pcE1eLk http://t.co/ERNBzjdizj

Aren't the questions about RG3 really about his ego, etc.? I don't think I've read any articles by credible sources that say he has no athletic talent.

Mariota's draft stock may be impacted by the RG3 spectacular flame out. (I have no idea at this point.) If you want a QB that ran a similar offense and had the ego thing, I'd pick Johnny Football.

Mariota? Sorry, I'd just laugh.

Aren't the questions about RG3 really about his ego, etc.? I don't think I've read any articles by credible sources that say he has no athletic talent.

Mariota's draft stock may be impacted by the RG3 spectacular flame out. (I have no idea at this point.) If you want a QB that ran a similar offense and had the ego thing, I'd pick Johnny Football.

Mariota? Sorry, I'd just laugh.

tbh I haven't followed the RG3 stuff extremely closely but yes, I believe he has regressed significantly at the QB position.

tbh I haven't followed the RG3 stuff extremely closely but yes, I believe he has regressed significantly at the QB position.

I think all the injuries have taken a physical toll. I've also read that the coaches have tried to ram-force him into becoming a conventional NFL pocket passer. These two things go together, most likely. Huge investment, the brass wants it protected. The bottom drops out though because they couldn't get the player to buy into it and transform himself into a Tom Brady-like QB. Turns into a vicious circle as desperation sets in, panic induces more pressure, and pipes start exploding organizationally.

Lets take a look at what the overall consensus among people who draft is. Kiper is just one guy and a very mediocre draft "expert" at that. If the other guys who are much more respected at their calling are saying the same thing, then you know it might actually be the thought process. But without a 1st round pick this year Buffalo is better off sticking with Orton one more year and then spending the second rounder on a guard.

I would be curious to read Kiper's explanation for why Mariota is not a "franchise QB". IMO, Mariota is easily the best prospect since Luck and will be a better pro than Luck.

That is laughable. I live in Portland. He is as bad a pro-prospect as RGIII. He is not as big as Newton or Luck. He rarely throws the ball downfield. He will be one of the weakest Heisman winners in years though not all his fault as Gurley got hurt. The kid from Ohio State did more with less and against better defenses. I think Oregon beats FSU because FSU is just not very good but Oregon will be lucky to put up 14 points on Alabama.

Three years into his pro-career they will both be first round busts.

That is laughable. I live in Portland. He is as bad a pro-prospect as RGIII. He is not as big as Newton or Luck. He rarely throws the ball downfield.

Actually, this is laughable. The numbers show that Mariota is one of, if not the, strongest Heisman candidates in the last 10 years. And regardless what happened to RGIII after Shanahan destroyed him, he was a phenomenal NFL prospect coming out of Baylor, whom some ranked ahead of Luck. To say that Mariota is as "bad" a prospect as RGIII simply makes no sense whatsoever.

Three years into his pro-career they will both be first round busts.

i love blanket pronouncements like this, offered with no evidence whatsoever. Edited by mannc

Mel is good on general analysis but he holds grudges. His view of the Watkins deal is one of them. Majority of QBs in the past 5 drafts are forgettable. look at what Arizona has done with a great defense. Focus on building the defense up and get a QB to manage the offense.

I would be curious to read Kiper's explanation for why Mariota is not a "franchise QB". IMO, Mariota is easily the best prospect since Luck and will be a better pro than Luck.

Stop.

Marriota is like Kaepernick which is great with a strong running game but not so much when they actually have to be a pocket passer.

just reach for another QB that can only read half the field. We'll be fine.

that's better than the quater field that our back up has.