Jerry Hughes Comp Pick

boyst

What would Jerry Hughes bring in a compensatory pick? If we lost Hughes and Hughes alone, how much is that likely to give us in compensation?

I do understand that it is relative to the talent we bring in but by all expectations losing him + the likely Hairston/Pears (or both) plus Lee Smith... I think we might have a large sum of losses.

if we end up losing more than we sign, it depends on his future contract but id say a good chance at a 3 or 4

Understood, and DE contracts are generally more $ then FS; Hughes > Byrd.

I don't see many desirable and worthy FA's.

Recent guys around that pay level from a projection last year - not sure where it shook out once awarded, but should give an idea the pay scales for the discussion. add a few percentage points to the salaries to age them to todays dollars:

3 – Pittsburgh – Mike Wallace

3 – Green Bay – Greg Jennings

4 – San Francisco – Dashon Goldson

4 – Baltimore – Paul Kruger

4 – Detroit – Gosder Cherilus

4 – Baltimore – Dannell Ellerbe

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/red_zone/2014-NFL-compensatory-pick-projections.html#xw41SOLvrXfIixpu.99

I think it also depends on future performance, right?

thats said to be in the secret sauce -- but there are people that project up around the 30 out of 32 picks exactly right level pretty early. short of being cut in the first season ive seen no indication that play really matters.

thats said to be in the secret sauce -- but there are people that project up around the 30 out of 32 picks exactly right level pretty early. short of being cut in the first season ive seen no indication that play really matters.

Yeah, I really think it's only contract value. Frankly I hope we don't get any comp picks this year, because I'd rather we keep our guys. But if we do lose Hughes, it might be worth trying to limit FA signings to ineligible players (i.e., they got cut rather than contract expired) and get a 3rd or 4th rounder.

i still think there's a great chance we re-sign hughes. he's a great player in his own right, but he benefits tremendously from marcell, kyle, and mario - and i think he knows that. i think each of those dudes takes great pride in knowing that as a unit, they're the best in the league and he wants to remain a part of / keep intact the most feared DL in the NFL as well as a part of a defense and a team that is on the rise. if i were hughes i'd stay if buffalo offers him money comparable to (in the ballpark, maybe >85% of) his other offers.

whaley will have the dollars to pay him because stevie/fitz money is being freed up and we don't have to pay a 2015 first-round draft pick.

If I remember correctly compensatory picks are the following year. That means this year we are looking at Byrd, which we will get none from since we signed Graham and AW. Correct me if I am wrong.

That said if we lose Hughes but resign Spiller and either trade or sign a FA QB, we most likely get nothing.

If I remember correctly compensatory picks are the following year. That means this year we are looking at Byrd, which we will get none from since we signed Graham and AW. Correct me if I am wrong.

That said if we lose Hughes but resign Spiller and either trade or sign a FA QB, we most likely get nothing.

Re signing our own guys doesn't matter. It's expiring contracts signed from other teams - Chris Williams, rivers, graham, Dixon etc.... Vs our expiring contracts signed elsewhere (Byrd, carrington, etc....) Aaron Williams isn't in the count

Edited by NoSaint

Re signing our own guys doesn't matter. It's expiring contracts signed from other teams - Chris Williams, rivers, graham, Dixon etc.... Vs our expiring contracts signed elsewhere (Byrd, carrington, etc....) Aaron Williams isn't in the count

Thanks for the clarification. Looking at it, we still get nothing I am sure this year. But does a trade count? Brown?

Thanks for the clarification. Looking at it, we still get nothing I am sure this year. But does a trade count? Brown?

Trades and cuts and tags and anything else do not count - only expiring contracts leaving either our team or someone else's to come to ours

The Bills are going to do what they have been doing. Bring in volume free agents and 1st round wash outs and see if they hit on any.

They will sign more than they lose and there will be no compensatory pick.

We're not getting a pick for Hughes.

It's not gonna happen.

The Bills are going to do what they have been doing. Bring in volume free agents and 1st round wash outs and see if they hit on any.

They will sign more than they lose and there will be no compensatory pick.

We're not getting a pick for Hughes.

It's not gonna happen.

It's a super secret formula and all, but if the Bills lose Hughes they almost certainly will be getting a comp pick. He's going to get big dollars and a bunch of low-level contracts are not going to impact that. Barring a big signing the Bills would wind up with a 3rd or 4th round pick. Personally I would franchise the man before I let him leave. If it got nasty with him, then I'd trade him as a last resort (and get more than his comp pick value without having to worry about any offsets). And yes I know that the league frowns on franchising a player only to trade them, but that would not be my intent when I did it. I'd be looking to lock him up long-term.

The rule is Buffalo gets nothing, ever.

It's a super secret formula and all, but if the Bills lose Hughes they almost certainly will be getting a comp pick. He's going to get big dollars and a bunch of low-level contracts are not going to impact that. Barring a big signing the Bills would wind up with a 3rd or 4th round pick. Personally I would franchise the man before I let him leave. If it got nasty with him, then I'd trade him as a last resort (and get more than his comp pick value without having to worry about any offsets). And yes I know that the league frowns on franchising a player only to trade them, but that would not be my intent when I did it. I'd be looking to lock him up long-term.

a bunch of low level contract will DRAMATICALLY effect it. to even qualify to look at the dollars and get a pick, you need to lose more bodies than you sign. a special teamer could cancel out hughes.

The rule is Buffalo gets nothing, ever.

as weve never prioritized it like some teams do in roster composition. The ravens, for instance, often talk about targeting signings that were cut from their previous teams as they do not count as a body in. Id also guess similarly in august, all things equal they may keep an expiring contract around to become a qualified loss (again, if two guys are pretty well the same quality otherwise)

It is not a super secret formula.

If team B loses 3 all pros to 100 million contracts each, then signs 4 scrubs for league minimum they receive ZERO compensatory picks.

The Bills are going to sign a bunch of scrubs and will not get a compensatory pick for Hughes.

a bunch of low level contract will DRAMATICALLY effect it. to even qualify to look at the dollars and get a pick, you need to lose more bodies than you sign. a special teamer could cancel out hughes.

as weve never prioritized it like some teams do in roster composition. The ravens, for instance, often talk about targeting signings that were cut from their previous teams as they do not count as a body in. Id also guess similarly in august, all things equal they may keep an expiring contract around to become a qualified loss (again, if two guys are pretty well the same quality otherwise)

It is not a super secret formula.

If team B loses 3 all pros to 100 million contracts each, then signs 4 scrubs for league minimum they receive ZERO compensatory picks.

The Bills are going to sign a bunch of scrubs and will not get a compensatory pick for Hughes.

Incorrect. Players making league minimum do not factor into the equation. I tried to post a link to an article, but no Bleacher Report articles are allowed to be linked here. Also I doubt that the Bills are in real danger of signing more non-minimum FA players than they lose.

What would Jerry Hughes bring in a compensatory pick? If we lost Hughes and Hughes alone, how much is that likely to give us in compensation?

I do understand that it is relative to the talent we bring in but by all expectations losing him + the likely Hairston/Pears (or both) plus Lee Smith... I think we might have a large sum of losses.

3 players not worth anything

Incorrect. Players making league minimum do not factor into the equation. I tried to post a link to an article, but no Bleacher Report articles are allowed to be linked here. Also I doubt that the Bills are in real danger of signing more non-minimum FA players than they lose.

Find a better source then.

We have the best defensive line in football and rush the passer better than anybody else. When you do something better than everyone else in the league, you have to keep that together. If we don't resign Hughes, we must at least tag him and trade him for a first.