Conflict Between Bills' Front Office and Marrone?

26CornerBlitz

I think we should consider even the next three games could shape what becomes of Buffalo Bills FO as it is today.

I am rooting for the underdog Bills again Sunday.

Lets hope Orton looks downfield more than once for the big play, and Hackett/Marrone dials them up

Those opportunities will be there against the Packers' defense. Key questions are will they gameplan to exploit matchup advantages and if so can Orton execute well enough to seize upon opportunities?

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those opportunities will be there against the Packers' defense. Key questions are will they gameplan to exploit matchup advantages and if so can Orton execute well enough to seize upon opportunities?

we might already know the answers to those questions. But i will continue to hope Bills can do just that. Packers weakness is surely the Defense

No offense taken. Orton, IMO, has let everyone down including his coach, teammates, and the fans. Not that I'm shocked by this given his track record elsewhere in the NFL.

The only ones who have let anyone down is us fans ourselves. As you pointed out, considering Orton's long history, there really was no reason to believe he is anything more than a 0.500 QB. He did not declare himself to be the savior of the franchise or a HOF QB. He just signed towards the end of the offseason. He was the best available but that is not saying a lot.

Um yes he was.

JJ Watt had EJ's balls retracted into his lower abdomen. funny how folks recall stuff. I am guilty of the same thing though

So it was EJ's fault that the oline couldn't block Watt? What the hell. Imagine Kyle Kitty Cat against Watt. He probably would have refused to play in the 2nd half for fear if getting hit.

The only ones who have let anyone down is us fans ourselves. As you pointed out, considering Orton's long history, there really was no reason to believe he is anything more than a 0.500 QB. He did not declare himself to be the savior of the franchise or a HOF QB. He just signed towards the end of the offseason. He was the best available but that is not saying a lot.

The team wasn't asking him to win games by himself. With the defense they have, was it too much to ask of him to make good decisions and accurate throws when opportunities have been there within the design of the offense?

I agree but I also think Marrone's pride won't let him go back to EJ. It would be admitting that Orton was not enough of an upgrade.

I was all for Marrone when he got hired. College guy and it was different. He promised a lot of things and he seems like every retrend coach we've had. But he acts like he is Belichick when he is a guy who's best accomplishment is the Pinstripe Bowl.

Whaley >>> Marrone and it's not even close. This is a very attractive job with the talent we have. Get a real offensive mind who has a track record of developing QBs and getting the most out of his players. We can do so much better than Marrone.

Take the top 50 Div I coaches, put their names on a wall. and throw a dart blind-folded at it and you have a better coach than Marrone.

Is Marrone wrong to think that the Bills have a better chance to win with Orton? Does anyone who does not populate a Bills board or who is not Doug Whaley think Manuel will be good?

I won't say that he WILL be good but I will say that he COULD be good.

This just occurred to me. Orton has a player option for 5+m. Maybe they have seen enough of him to know he is not THE answer. If they start EJ in the last two games, maybe Orton doesnt take that option. And the team can decide whether or not they want to pay him/play him. He wants to play.

I think the opposite actually. If Orton plays well over these last 3 games he will try to hold a team hostage for a raise. He showed with the Cowboys situation that he wants to start and/or get paid. I think if the wheels fall off and the 5 million looks like the most he will get he will take that deal. If he feels he can get more from someone else he will try.

Getting to 8-8 here is an accomplishment. We've had one winning season this entire century.

Marrone has this team playing hard. If he had a QB, we'd all feel a lot different about Doug.

I dont care if he's a nice guy or not. Belicheck and Harbaugh are dicks and people want them here

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

I have been saying this on here for the last couple of days. It is nice to have some support :lol: .

Best Bills team in a long time. How many years in week 14 would any of us fans be giving the team a chance against a 10-3 team like the Packers? It has certainly been a long time for me. Usually at this point in the season we are discussing whether or not the Bills should be tanking for a draft pick.

IMO the front office wants ej in but at the same time they would have liked to see the coaching staff be creative with play calling and give ej more of a chance at being successful. This offense was so vanilla for most of the year its hard to imagine any developing or average qb have any success in it. If marrone stays he needs some serious help with play calling. No way can they keep the offensive staff together

I agree 100%. How many of you think it was Pettines call to start Johnny Football? Did Rex really want to start Smith again? Marrone is just calling it like it is. He will put the best players on the field until someone higher up the food chain tells him differently. I think Marrone cares more about winning than trying to save face.

I think its more about keeping the locker room. I think most of the players agree that Orton gives a much better chance to win than EJ. (and I think so too).

Marrone is relatively young. Your reputation around the league stays with you. in 5 or 10 years he will be with some other team, or looking for work, and a reputation as a guy who puts winning first is more valuable than a reputation as a "yes man" or puppet.

The team wasn't asking him to win games by himself. With the defense they have, was it too much to ask of him to make good decisions and accurate throws when opportunities have been there within the design of the offense?

I am with you, 26Corner. Just that no matter what kind of team surrounds Orton, he always regresses towards the 0.500 mean.

At first I didn't believe stuff that Marrone was being accused of. I didn't really believe the Saint Doug story, other than it was a little joke. Now I do. There have been several reasons to make me believe it now when I didn't before.

I've always known that Marrone has an enormous ego. Every good and great player, coach and GM does.

An enormous ego kept in check, is a huge asset. An enormous ego out of control is a huge liability. It seems to me that it's become (or has always been and is now exposed to be) the latter.

Exploiting matchup advantages vs. certain coverages is ALWAYS in the game plan. Orton should have taken advantage of them on Sunday. This idea that Hackett/Marrone specifically told him not to bother is asinine and shows lack of insight into how this staff has coached since day 1. Literally. On day one last year they opened camp with 9 consecutive go routes. He sent Woods, Sammy, and Goodman deep on at least a half dozen occasions on Sunday that I can remember without even looking at the tape. Yes, sometimes that's done with the intention of clearing out the underneath stuff but that serves a purpose later on when the opponent jumps up and targets are free deep. As was the case on Sunday.

EVERY TIME any of our QBs see man press/single safety coverage they have the green light to go deep. EVERY SINGLE TIME. That was the case last year and it's the case this year. Even in the limited number of plays he analyzed in his All 22 review, Jeremy White points out two missed opportunities where our receivers made the right read, ran the right route, and Orton simply bailed.

There is nothing wrong with designing a short passing, ball control offense vs. a team like Denver. For many reasons I won't go into here. But suffice to say that doesn't mean the QB is specifically instructed not to go deep when the opportunities arise after your opponent adjusts. Just like Sunday. Just like all season, actually.

GO BILLS!!!

At first I didn't believe stuff that Marrone was being accused of. I didn't really believe the Saint Doug story, other than it was a little joke. Now I do. There have been several reasons to make me believe it now when I didn't before.

I've always known that Marrone has an enormous ego. Every good and great player, coach and GM does.

An enormous ego kept in check, is a huge asset. An enormous ego out of control is a huge liability. It seems to me that it's become (or has always been and is now exposed to be) the latter.

Because of what?

A decent QB makes this whole conversation go away.

Whaley has failed miserably at addressing the most important position on the team. They did an exhaustive, no stone unturned, examination and vowed to get a QB. So he turns a 3rd rounder into a 1st rounder and scrambles to cover for his mistake. This faith in EJ cost him a chance at a decent QB next year.

I dunno. On the plus side, he's completely fixed the defensive front 7. The negatives- No QB, a questionable offensive line, no TE and Questions at RB. Yet, you know they'll take WRs and CBs next year.

I wouldn't be crushed if they brought in a team with a cohesive vision.

what quarterback has been available that would make us better since Whaley became the official gm?

Look, there wasn't a Bills fan with a pulse who wasn't enraged by that decision.

But EJ had a lot to learn. He's learning. Robert Woods--his most public detractor--said as much last week.

I'd just like to see what he's learned without having to wait the entire offseason. Because without seeing what EJ can do on the field, DW is almost forced at gunpoint to go out and spend all he can on the best FA QB available. Which benches EJ next year as well. I'm not thrilled with that idea, given he's a first round pick. I understand why you're cool with it, but if EJ sits yet another season, we wasted the pick on him.