Conflict Between Bills' Front Office and Marrone?

26CornerBlitz

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't believe EJ is as bad as his last game showed him to be. Lets not forget that Richardson was playing LG at that time, and EJ had no pocket to step up into, as the interior was so weak.

As inaccurate as he was he still went 21 of 44 for 2 TD's, 2 INT's. 5 of 16 3rd downs. 12 first downs passing. Which was better then Fitz.

Um yes he was.

JJ Watt had EJ's balls retracted into his lower abdomen. funny how folks recall stuff. I am guilty of the same thing though

It doesn't really matter who coaches the Bills...they are going to lose most of the time. In-demand coaches who are seeking an NFL job know this, and will avoid coaching the Bills, Jags, Browns, etc. like the plague. I think the Bills would be no worse off giving Marrone another year.

With the ownership change I doubt that is the case anymore.

Getting to 8-8 here is an accomplishment. We've had one winning season this entire century.

Marrone has this team playing hard. If he had a QB, we'd all feel a lot different about Doug.

I dont care if he's a nice guy or not. Belicheck and Harbaugh are dicks and people want them here

Thank you

You know it i think he will be the next Pollian for the Bills as long as Terry can see what he has done .

I love the way he continues to bring in other players to try & help the team in positions that lack what they need , he either puts them on the PS or gives them a roster spot . I never seen that many players brought in from any other FO person .

Buddy did too and it is quite common in the League. But, I agree I strongly lime Whaley.

With a defense like the Bills have he doesn't have to play at an all-pro or pro bowl level. A decent game manager QB would be good enough to get this team to the playoffs with the performance of the defense in just about every key game in the last several weeks including the KC, MIA, and DEN games.

No one is talking about perfection except you. Fact: Orton has sucked when it has mattered the most. You can accept that or not. Meow.

That not a fact. You seem to be on a mission 26. and i am surprised.

Orton is just Orton.

Ej is still a question mark.

If Marrone is trying to win, and i think he is , he should put Orton in. Two different style players and they already have revamped the overall mindest of the Offense to suit Kyle. To change up now is asking an awful lot of everyone. For example timing with receivers, cadence et all.

EJ sucked when it mattered most if that is even an argument for either of them.

they both have showed suckiness.

it's a concern better resolved in the off season i think

So how long do we sit EJ?

Till OTAs

Marrone is the failure, not Whaley just yet. Marrone has neutered his young 2nd year 1st round QB pick Manuel and the veteran journeyman QB Orton with his short passing game plans. I am embarrassed at how timid and afraid the Bills look in taking the fight and taking their shots downfield against opposing defenses. Marrone is a “kitty”. He is a “big boned” Dick Jauron. Marrone is a total coward for not letting EJ and Orton throw the ball DOWN THE FIELD!

Bill Parcells once yelled at Phil Simms for not taking enough chances…

http://www.giants.co...17-b466a7f6f620

“His greatest line to me ever was during the opening game in 1984 and we’re walking out of the locker room. He said, ‘If you don’t throw two interceptions today, you’re not taking enough chances.’ If a coach said that now, they’d be struck by lightning. Coaches say, ‘Turnovers are the biggest cause of winning and losing in the NFL. I want our team to take a lot of chances and be very dynamic, but we can’t turn the ball over.’ It’s funny. That wasn’t part of the mantra with him then and God, did I make some of the most unbelievable turnovers in history. I’d come to the sidelines and he would be so mad he couldn’t even talk and he would just hold it in and go, ‘Okay, it’s alright. That’s what I’m telling you. Take some chances.’ He’d say it through clenched teeth. Hey, you’re the one who told me to take chances, big guy. It was unbelievable looking back to think how brazen and how it is just so not like anything we hear or see now. In practice sometimes I’d throw the ball and complete it for five or six yards and they’d literally stop practice and yell at me. ‘Why are you throwing it there?’ Well, because the guy down the field was covered. ‘Hell, give him a chance. What are you worried about? Your completion percentage? Your quarterback rating?’ It just was a different thought process back then.

That in a nut shell is the biggest failure of the Bills attempt at developing EJ Manuel. They never told him it’s not only ok, but it's encouraged to take chances down the field. In fact, they told him the opposite. I watched an interview on BB.com where Hackett instructed the exact opposite of what Bill Parcells instructed to Simms. Hackett said that he told EJ to take the check down because the worst thing to do is throw interceptions. What did the Giants do when they drafted Eli Manning? They let him loose throwing the ball down field and he threw a ton of interceptions. He eventually learned what he could get away with and the Giants learned that they had a real NFL QB.

The Bills will NEVER know if they have a real QB until they let EJ loose to throw the ball downfield interceptions be damned. This is not a league where you can handhold a QB. Every QB worth anything had been given their shot to throw the ball downfield and the ones who could became the good to greats. It’s a shame that so many fans here just parrot the “EJ sucks” mantra without even knowing that Manuel has not had a true NFL evaluation with a heavy does of real NFL throws. NFL defenses would eventually stop Brady and Rogers in their tracks if they had these short passing only game plans. Marrone has cut Manuel’s “you-know-what’s” off the entire time. It makes me angry that next year will be year three with Manuel and they will still have not let their 1st round pick of a QB sink or swim with a real game plan that attacks a defense down field.

Marrone really does need to be fired if they lose to the Packers with yet another "grind the clock" loser of a game plan. Once he's gone I'd tell the new HC/OC to let EJ throw the ball 80 times with 40 down the field passes in the last two games. Let the real QB evaluation commence.

Very well said!

That not a fact. You seem to be on a mission 26. and i am surprised.

Orton is just Orton.

Ej is still a question mark.

If Marrone is trying to win, and i think he is , he should put Orton in. Two different style players and they already have revamped the overall mindest of the Offense to suit Kyle. To change up now is asking an awful lot of everyone. For example timing with receivers, cadence et all.

EJ sucked when it mattered most if that is even an argument for either of them.

they both have showed suckiness.

it's a concern better resolved in the off season i think

Till OTAs

It's not about any mission. It's about missed opportunities that were not seized upon by the veteran QB who was inserted into the lineup to give the team "the best chance to win" as the coach has told everyone over and over again. Have you not seen this also? Orton has regressed as the ante has been upped in these late season critical games beyond playing against the Jets. Please point out what I'm overstating about his play including an alarming lack of courage that was on display in Denver.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

It's not about any mission. It's about missed opportunities that were not seized upon by the veteran QB who was inserted into the lineup to give the team "the best chance to win" as the coach has told everyone over and over again. Have you not seen this also? Orton has regressed as the ante has been upped in these late season critical games beyond playing against the Jets. Please point out what I'm overstating about his play including an alarming lack of courage that was on display in Denver.

No sir i do agree that Orton has slipped a bit. If he ever was all that beside Vet leadership for the Youngish Offense. He has missed a ton of opportunity with recievers. But thats from my view.

also he has held together a line that was really putrid and getting EJ killed. He can read and adjust the line.

I thin k some here where hanging there proverbial hats upon him as saviour.

But on the other hand i think EJ might already be out for the season from injury or death threats from the receivers families as he was getting them killed too.

We are actually screwed still and just arguing about how screwed we really are at the QB situation.

Its a Buffalo thing .

No harm meant Brother !

No sir i do agree that Orton has slipped a bit. If he ever was all that beside Vet leadership for the Youngish Offense. He has missed a ton of opportunity with recievers. But thats from my view.

also he has held together a line that was really putrid and getting EJ killed. He can read and adjust the line.

I thin k some here where hanging there proverbial hats upon him as saviour.

But on the other hand i think EJ might already be out for the season from injury or death threats from the receivers families as he was getting them killed too.

We are actually screwed still and just arguing about how screwed we really are at the QB situation.

Its a Buffalo thing .

No harm meant Brother !

No offense taken. Orton, IMO, has let everyone down including his coach, teammates, and the fans. Not that I'm shocked by this given his track record elsewhere in the NFL.

No offense taken. Orton, IMO, has let everyone down including his coach, teammates, and the fans. Not that I'm shocked by this given his track record elsewhere in the NFL.

And this is my gut speaking here: better him than EJ, for EJ's sake and for the sake of the organization, which, quite frankly, I'd prefer stay in tact as much as possible.

let me ask you this --- unless hes throwing his weight around or its been a debate, why even mention it? no one is saying you need to be outraged. just that the quote likely says more than you are giving it credit for.

He's bringing up the issue because it is the glaring issue swirling in the press room. There is no way to avoid the issue because it permeates the room whenever he stands behind the podium answering questions.

Marrone strongly believes that Orton with all his reeking mediocrity gives this team a better chance to win than EJ. You don't think that If EJ demonstrated in practice or gave a hint that he could outperform Orton he would start him or insert him in a game when KO predictably falters? The HC is not making a judgment on his qbs in a vacuum. He has seen EJ play and he sees him in practice every day. At this point he clearly doesn't believe that the young qb is ready.

The main issue isn't whether the HC believes Orton gives the team a better chance to win this year. The real issue is whether the HC believes that EJ will ever be a franchise qb to lead this team. If he has already made a determination that conflicts with the front office's assessment of EJ then that is an issue that will have to be addressed soon after the season is concluded. In other words the current HC will not be HC next year.

There is a lot at stake here that goes beyond this season and the next. If Whaley and his staff strongly believe that Manuel has the ability to be a franchise qb and are very much invested in him then that committment (gamble) if they are wrong can result in this team floundering for another 3-4 yrs or longer.

I think we should consider even the next three games could shape what becomes of Buffalo Bills FO as it is today.

I am rooting for the underdog Bills again Sunday.

Lets hope Orton looks downfield more than once for the big play, and Hackett/Marrone dials them up

He's bringing up the issue because it is the glaring issue swirling in the press room. There is no way to avoid the issue because it permeates the room whenever he stands behind the podium answering questions.

Marrone strongly believes that Orton with all his reeking mediocrity gives this team a better chance to win than EJ. You don't think that If EJ demonstrated in practice or gave a hint that he could outperform Orton he would start him or insert him in a game when KO predictably falters? The HC is not making a judgment on his qbs in a vacuum. He has seen EJ play and he sees him in practice every day. At this point he clearly doesn't believe that the young qb is ready.

The main issue isn't whether the HC believes Orton gives the team a better chance to win this year. The real issue is whether the HC believes that EJ will ever be a franchise qb to lead this team. If he has already made a determination that conflicts with the front office's assessment of EJ then that is an issue that will have to be addressed soon after the season is concluded. In other words the current HC will not be HC next year.

There is a lot at stake here that goes beyond this season and the next. If Whaley and his staff strongly believe that Manuel has the ability to be a franchise qb and are very much invested in him then that committment (gamble) if they are wrong can result in this team floundering for another 3-4 yrs or longer.

JohnC i think Whaley is the one who is worried about EJ.

Marrone did not call him out in his presser though IMO.