Conflict Between Bills' Front Office and Marrone?

26CornerBlitz

Bills' Marrone to stick with Orton "unless it changes for somebody else"

By Joe Buscaglia

3016075.jpeg?1418308490

Now, with the Bills in need of three straight wins to even have a sniff at the playoffs, Marrone is sticking with the more veteran player in Orton — even if a few games would be beneficial to Manuel. Would his mindset change if they get eliminated from playoff contention?

“No, not for me,” Marrone said. “Unless it changes for somebody else.”

The ‘somebody else’ portion is quite vague, and Marrone was asked to expand on that exact phrase.

“If you're asking me, personally, my decision is he's gonna play,” he said. “If you ask somebody else, they might tell you something different. I don't know.”

Doug Marrone Talks Quarterbacks (1:59)

Head Coach Doug Marrone talks about Quarterbacks Kyle Orton and E.J. Manuel.

@mikerodak

Marrone’s most telling quote, on if he’d go to Manuel if Bills are eliminated: "No, not for me. Unless it changes for somebody else."

• Replies 436
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A head coach is defined by wins and losses so Marrone will play who he thinks gives him the best chance of winning regardless if they are still in the playoff hunt or not. Same reason why Chan kept going with Fitz.

Whaley and the front office would probably prefer to see more of EJ after sitting out most of the season

He was also very clear in the "I dictated to Whaley that ej would be benched" back when it happened. Like uncomfortably specific in including the detail. Came off as a power play, in the same way this is an awkwardly specific quote on the topic.

A head coach is defined by wins and losses so Marrone will play who he thinks gives him the best chance of winning regardless if they are still in the playoff hunt or not. Same reason why Chan kept going with Fitz.

Whaley and the front office would probably prefer to see more of EJ after sitting out most of the season

I agree but I also think Marrone's pride won't let him go back to EJ. It would be admitting that Orton was not enough of an upgrade.

I was all for Marrone when he got hired. College guy and it was different. He promised a lot of things and he seems like every retrend coach we've had. But he acts like he is Belichick when he is a guy who's best accomplishment is the Pinstripe Bowl.

Whaley >>> Marrone and it's not even close. This is a very attractive job with the talent we have. Get a real offensive mind who has a track record of developing QBs and getting the most out of his players. We can do so much better than Marrone.

I agree but I also think Marrone's pride won't let him go back to EJ. It would be admitting that Orton was not enough of an upgrade.

I was all for Marrone when he got hired. College guy and it was different. He promised a lot of things and he seems like every retrend coach we've had. But he acts like he is Belichick when he is a guy who's best accomplishment is the Pinstripe Bowl.

Whaley >>> Marrone and it's not even close. This is a very attractive job with the talent we have. Get a real offensive mind who has a track record of developing QBs and getting the most out of his players. We can do so much better than Marrone.

Agreed

CBF

@mikerodak

Marrone’s most telling quote, on if he’d go to Manuel if Bills are eliminated: "No, not for me. Unless it changes for somebody else."

To me, this is the most telling quote:

“Every week, I’m going to make that decision,” Marrone said, “and if I get to 7-8 I will make that decision. But right now, absolutely, I will play Kyle Orton, because he gives us the best chance to win NOW.”

If Whaley survives the off-season and stays as GM I think he fires Marrone.

It's be one of the worst moves in team history to get rid of Whaley. He's made his mistakes but for a first time GM, he's been damn good. He'd get hired in a second.

“Every week, I’m going to make that decision,” Marrone said, “and if I get to 7-8 I will make that decision. But right now, absolutely, I will play Kyle Orton, because he gives us the best chance to win NOW.”

Agreed. No one can touch Orton's ability to fall to the ground to avoid hits; turn the ball over; and struggle to score a td.

If nothing else a more forward thinking coach would have some specific plays drawn up for EJ to throw a different twist at a defense to keep them guessing in a desperate situation .

I would say that Marrone is in that situation , but i know that would be a heavier burden on a OC that has such a limited amount of experience in a big boy league ...

If EJ is suppose to be learning behind Kyle then throw the kitchen sink at them put in a package for the kid you know he's chomping at the bit to get in there .

Edited by T master

its not an important thing that im trying to blow up here but i really do hate hearing a coach reference "if i lose the next two weeks...."

I agree 100%. How many of you think it was Pettines call to start Johnny Football? Did Rex really want to start Smith again? Marrone is just calling it like it is. He will put the best players on the field until someone higher up the food chain tells him differently. I think Marrone cares more about winning than trying to save face.

It doesn't really matter who coaches the Bills...they are going to lose most of the time. In-demand coaches who are seeking an NFL job know this, and will avoid coaching the Bills, Jags, Browns, etc. like the plague. I think the Bills would be no worse off giving Marrone another year.

It's be one of the worst moves in team history to get rid of Whaley. He's made his mistakes but for a first time GM, he's been damn good. He'd get hired in a second.

Agreed. No one can touch Orton's ability to fall to the ground to avoid hits; turn the ball over; and struggle to score a td.

You know it i think he will be the next Pollian for the Bills as long as Terry can see what he has done .

I love the way he continues to bring in other players to try & help the team in positions that lack what they need , he either puts them on the PS or gives them a roster spot . I never seen that many players brought in from any other FO person .

Where is the conflict?

The Bills are in playoff race. If they win Sunday they're in great shape to potentially be 9-6 going into season finale.

If they are 7-8 and out if it, it would make sense to evaluate EJ further from a FO perspective and he knows that. Yet as the coach, he would like to still give the team the best chance to win and at this point in time he believes Orton is that guy.

I don't see the issue with what he said.

Why Marrone didn't have enough poise at his presser to not open up this question with his unnecessary comments?

Where is the conflict?

The Bills are in playoff race. If they win Sunday they're in great shape to potentially be 9-6 going into season finale.

If they are 7-8 and out if it, it would make sense to evaluate EJ further from a FO perspective and he knows that. Yet as the coach, he would like to still give the team the best chance to win and at this point in time he believes Orton is that guy.

I don't see the issue with what he said.

Right here!

@mikerodak

Where is the conflict?

did you miss the "unless someone else makes me make the change" part of it?

if he said "we are in a playoff race and im going to play the guy i think gives us the best shot, end of story" it wouldve been the end of the story. that he tagged on extra is the weird part.

Why Marrone didn't have enough poise at his presser to not open up this question with his unnecessary comments?

Right here!

@mikerodak

thats not "conflict" IMO. He wants to win the game. He understands the FO might want to put EJ back in. It's just reality.

did you miss the "unless someone else makes me make the change" part of it?

if he said "we are in a playoff race and im going to play the guy i think gives us the best shot, end of story" it wouldve been the end of the story. that he tagged on extra is the weird part.

no I did not miss it, I just don't know why it's such a revelation that would be case. He's just calling it like it is. It makes sense to me. Sorry I'm not more outraged!

It makes zero sense to put that out in public.

to me it seems obvious. The media prodded and prodded. It is not a huge surprise that the FO would want to throw EJ in if mathematically eliminated.