Who should be the next Bills Offensive Coordinator

simpleman

Crossman was in the line of fire, they go out and load up on special teams. Lets see if they keep Hackett do they load up at OL. You could sign very good OG for cheap contracts, like the Chris Williams contract, Williams just isn't any good. Sign a couple OGs.

That is a whole different thread, but I just don't see a lot of very good OGs out there that will be cheap, I don't even see too many upcoming vet free agents that are very good and won't break the bank as far as the cap will allow. I agree we need to get a good guard out of free agency, but think we can't afford two cap-wise. The draft might need to give us a 2nd.

And without a QB better than EJ or Orton it really will not matter, neither is good enough. There just isn't a QB in the draft we have a shot at with our draft position who even has a shot at taking us to the playoffs his first year, and we need to think about now as our defense is already at it's peak and already it's time is waning. (Kyle Williams can't last forever and we can't keep them all together at their current level for very long waiting for the offense to catch up)

If we go out and get a FA QB like a Bradford or a Cutler, and we can resign our own like Dareus and Hughes I don't see a lot of cap left. Who would you suggest that might be an affordable OG that is very good and will be a FA that we should pursue?

Edited by simpleman

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frank Reich would be nice. I don't know what his contract situation is in San Diego though.

I think that Frank Reich should be our next head coach. It's such an obvious choice that not many fans here realize that the dude is right in front of our face. We need a guy who can fix a very bad offense and a guy who knows what an attacking and intimidating NFL offense looks like. He will always be a Buffalo Bill, he had all those years under Marv to learn from one of the best, and he knows what can happen in Buffalo if given the right pieces.

I don't care if Schwartz leaves either. With the players we have anybody can coach our defense to a top 5 ranking. If Schwartz is gone maybe Rex Ryan would want to coach them for 2015 with an eye on a head coaching gig in 2016. He wouldn't get a better defense to work with, that's for sure.

Once they hire Reich, I'd let him call the shots for who his QB will be.

Edited by 1billsfan

Marrone is not going to fire Hackett

Then he should be fired.

Drafting a QB in the first round and giving him Hackett as an OC and QB coach, when Cuse was an average Big East offense, is joke.

The Vikes drafted Bridgewater and gave him Norv Turner. The Bills need a veteran NFL OC or a college guy like Art Briles or Kevin Sumlin. Marrone is just like every retrend coach we have had.

I think that Frank Reich should be our next head coach. It's such an obvious choice that not many fans here realize that the dude is right in front of our face. We need a guy who can fix a very bad offense and a guy who knows what an attacking and intimidating NFL offense looks like. He will always be a Buffalo Bill, he had all those years under Marv to learn from one of the best, and he knows what can happen in Buffalo if given the right pieces.

I don't care if Schwartz leaves either. With the players we have anybody can coach our defense to a top 5 ranking. If Schwartz is gone maybe Rex Ryan would want to coach them for 2015 with an eye on a head coaching gig in 2016. He wouldn't get a better defense to work with, that's for sure.

Has SD's offense been really that good? Trust me, I'd take Reich a million times over Hackett. He actually worked his way up in the NFL and isn't there because of his daddy/ friend. But I worry about Reich being a little laid back to be a head coach at this point of his career. But it's interesting.

Wait a minute...you want Reich, and if Schwartz leaves, you'd then want Rex to coach the defense with an eye toward head coaching in 2016? What about Reich? Did he get fired after one season?

Has SD's offense been really that good? Trust me, I'd take Reich a million times over Hackett. He actually worked his way up in the NFL and isn't there because of his daddy/ friend. But I worry about Reich being a little laid back to be a head coach at this point of his career. But it's interesting.

I think that SD has had some major problems on their offensive line this year. I've watched a few recent interviews of Reich, and while he isn't a fire brand kind of coach, he strikes me as a deliberate and intelligent coach who looks ready to be a head coach. He has seen it all and he has proven to be a very good offensive coordinator reviving Phillip Rivers' career. So the obvious next step is head coach, and while he looks like he's a year away from serious consideration in the league, I have no problem with the Bills jumping the gun a year early because this job would fit like a glove for Frank.

Wait a minute...you want Reich, and if Schwartz leaves, you'd then want Rex to coach the defense with an eye toward head coaching in 2016? What about Reich? Did he get fired after one season?

I think that the Bills' DC job is a stepping stone towards getting a head coaching job elsewhere, not the Bills. Since I think that Frank Reich would hopefully be our guy for the next 10 years.

That is a whole different thread, but I just don't see a lot of very good OGs out there that will be cheap, I don't even see too many upcoming vet free agents that are very good and won't break the bank as far as the cap will allow. I agree we need to get a good guard out of free agency, but think we can't afford two cap-wise. The draft might need to give us a 2nd.

And without a QB better than EJ or Orton it really will not matter, neither is good enough. There just isn't a QB in the draft we have a shot at with our draft position who even has a shot at taking us to the playoffs his first year, and we need to think about now as our defense is already at it's peak and already it's time is waning. (Kyle Williams can't last forever and we can't keep them all together at their current level for very long waiting for the offense to catch up)

If we go out and get a FA QB like a Bradford or a Cutler, and we can resign our own like Dareus and Hughes I don't see a lot of cap left. Who would you suggest that might be an affordable OG that is very good and will be a FA that we should pursue?

I guess it depends on what you mean by cheap. Iupati or Orlando Franklin will cost a king's ransom (think $9M per), but a guy like Cinci's Clint Boling probably won't. He'll probably get the same type of deal that Geoff Schwartz got with the Giants last year (4 yrs, $16.8M with $5.7M guaranteed).

There are also some decent veterans like Rob Sims, Jeromy Clary, and Don Barclay.

I've always liked Norv Turner as an OC. And for some odd reason, Chan Gailey has always had a knack get getting as much as he can get out of QB's who have no business being starters. I think Hackett is going to be a very good OC one day, just not right now. He's still going through the learning curve.

No good OC will come here of Marrone is the HC. The guy will be on the hot seat all year next year and I can't imagine anyone worth their salts would want to come into a situation where he would probably have to look for a job again in a year.

That said I wouldn't mind the following in no particular order:

Bill Lazor

Greg Roman

Dirk Koetter

Edited by Bangarang

I don't get the fascination with Chan Gailey, yeah maybe he got more out of the team than he should've, but it wasn't statistically a good offense at all IIRC. Can anyone show me I'm wrong?

Me neither. Seems people forget that the Offense was 14th, 19th, and 25th. Hackett had them at 19th last year and 22nd this year.

I also don't get the idea that Frank Reich would be an improvement. The Chargers are currently 20th in Offense with a much better qb. They have gained a total of 116 more yards over 13 games and are averaging .9 more points a game. This is the huge improvement people are pining for?

Me neither. Seems people forget that the Offense was 14th, 19th, and 25th. Hackett had them at 19th last year and 22nd this year.

I also don't get the idea that Frank Reich would be an improvement. The Chargers are currently 20th in Offense with a much better qb. They have gained a total of 116 more yards over 13 games and are averaging .9 more points a game. This is the huge improvement people are pining for?

It seems to me we look to our past to make our future a success instead of being cutting edge and shooting after the next big thing.

Ok - who is green bays OC or even qb coach? They worked wonders with Rodgers and Matt Flynn is even a superstar when playing in that system.

Or how about this -- wait for it --- Peyton Manning!

He retires after this year and goes straight into coaching.

BOOM!

To hire an experienced coordinator you are looking at someone who failed in their last stop.

To hire an inexperienced coordinator you are taking a chance on an unproven guy.

I'm not sure who the good candidates, if there are any, would be.