We can re-sign Dareus and Hughes

Jmsbills

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

doesn't spiller have 2.9 million dollar player option for next season.

I have no idea what hughes will cost 5 for 60 ? 5 for 40 ? I really don't know what is value is for another team

Yes. Spiller has a player option. I think you are right about the money, which is what sportrac says it is, too. I'm not sure when he has to say yay or nay. I assume it's after this season but not sure. Maybe it has already passed. I could imagine him signing it and playing another year on the Bills. He likes it here. Just to try to prove himself once again. No one obviously is going to give him a huge contract but he could get one that's multi year with basically a one year prove it to me provision.

Hughes will get a lot of money thrown at him father this year. People can say all they want about playing with the three other guys and some of it is true. But the fact is, he consistently beats his man, he has been surprisingly good against the run that I didn't think was part of his game, he's a relentless player, he's very good at stripping the ball and forcing turnovers, and I believe him to be the only black player in the entire NFL with a high motor.

My only concern with hughes who I absolutely LOVE is how good would he be if he didn't have 3 of the best d lineman in the league getting double teams. Do i hope re sign him? absolutly, i just hope we don't overpay... maybe a 3 year deal?

I agree here. I think there are a lot of fast, undersized edge rushers out there who could have a similar impact if they had the kind of linemates that Hughes has. Dareus, however, is a rare talent. I don't think the Bills can afford to have 3 guys making best-in-class kind of money on the D-line, and as great as he has been this year, I would vote that they let Hughes go if they can't pay everyone.

I am of the view that you do everything to keep this same defense intact, even if it means overpaying for Hughes.

That's pretty much how I see it. You gotta spend the money somewhere. We don't have a QB to throw big money at. We have a couple years before we have to dump big money at an OT. Our WRs are cheap for several years. LBs are young. So if you don't spend the money to keep this line together, where are you spending it?

Pay the man.

Edited by Dan

Having just finished Polian's book, it's interesting how he described the Colts' team building strategy. Everyone knows they chose to build around Peyton (franchise QB's take 15-18% of the cap) and paid other offensive stars big dollars. That means sacrifices on defense, so they employed the Tampa 2 which allowed for younger players to play (who cost less). There's more to it than that, but you get the idea

The Bills obviously don't have the franchise QB, but they'd be spending a huge amount on their DL if they re-signed Hughes and Dareus. Considering Mario's deal (it may be restructured) and Kyle Williams' deal runs through 2016, that's a lot of money there. They need to improve the OL and Glenn will want an extension after this season. Meanwhile, Robert Woods will be in his walk year after 2015, as will Alonso.

These are all critical questions for down the road, but the Bills will probably have to pick either Hughes or Dareus. Normally I'd be inclined to take a pass-rusher, but Dareus is a talent who can't hit the market.

Having just finished Polian's book, it's interesting how he described the Colts' team building strategy. Everyone knows they chose to build around Peyton (franchise QB's take 15-18% of the cap) and paid other offensive stars big dollars. That means sacrifices on defense, so they employed the Tampa 2 which allowed for younger players to play (who cost less). There's more to it than that, but you get the idea

The Bills obviously don't have the franchise QB, but they'd be spending a huge amount on their DL if they re-signed Hughes and Dareus. Considering Mario's deal (it may be restructured) and Kyle Williams' deal runs through 2016, that's a lot of money there. They need to improve the OL and Glenn will want an extension after this season. Meanwhile, Robert Woods will be in his walk year after 2015, as will Alonso.

These are all critical questions for down the road, but the Bills will probably have to pick either Hughes or Dareus. Normally I'd be inclined to take a pass-rusher, but Dareus is a talent who can't hit the market.

With no franchise QB to eat up a significant % of the cap, why do they have to choose? They can create additional cap room by restructuring Mario to get his base salary down next season.

And surely part of the strategy would be to frontload Hughes? Pay him big next year before those decisions on Glenn and Gilmore and Alonso and Woods become issues. The D-Line is elite. When was the last time the Bills had a part of their team that we called elite? Pay him. And I am not one of those who stands here shouting "pay him" year in and year out. I didn't want to pay Levitre or Byrd what the market wanted to give them. I just think this line is special.

We must keep Marcell and if Cordy Glenn wants an extension this year he should get one too... but other than that re-signing Hughes is a must for me.

With no franchise QB to eat up a significant % of the cap, why do they have to choose? They can create additional cap room by restructuring Mario to get his base salary down next season.

First, no one knows if they'll be able to restructure Mario's deal with him playing as well as he has. But his hit is around 19-20M each of the next two years and that's huge whether the cap is 123M or and expected ~140M.

Second, we don't know what Hughes or Dareus will command, but considering both are having their second straight high-performing season, it's safe to expect they'll want top-5 money at their position. For a DE, that's at least 10-1M per and a DT probably more.

Third, there are a few players who'll need extensions either after this season or after 2015. Glenn is still their best OT (and they're weak there), and they'll need to look at whether they want Bradham who enters his walk year after this year. Meanwhile, at some point they're going to need to get their QB, which seems further out than this defense should have to wait. And we haven't even talked about improving the CB, G, and TE positions.

They've got a cap hit of ~123M right now for 2015 and if the cap is 140M in 2015, they'd need to get Mario down at least 7M and hope Dareus and Hughes take no more than 20M total for that year in cap dollars. AND sign their rookies, albeit minus a first rounder. Those odds are long and doesn't include money for Bradham or Glenn. That's a tall task and unlikely, unless other cuts like Mike Williams, Kraig Urbik, and Keith Rivers are made. I'm not even sure that'll clear enough space to do all of this.

Edited by BillsVet

Alonso's injury got us an extra year before he can become a UFA. Bradham will be interesting though. I am beginning to like him.

As of now Dareus will count approximately 8 million against the cap. Give him a couple million more per season and lock him up long term. We cut Mike Williams and save 6.8 million per season and take no cap hit - no dead money - give that plus a few more million to Hughes. The cap is going up approximately 10 million or more. We can do this and still have room to re-sign CJ. Do not give Orton another dime over his current salary and if he opts out good luck to who ever gives him more than what he is getting here. If he does opt out - there is another 5.5 million is cap space available. A Keith River cut would also save 1.7 million. As of now for 2015 - the dead money against the cap is approximately 1.8 million so we are is great shape with the cap. Let go Bills and re- sign our Guys.

What is Spillers number going to be?

Anything over $5mm and I don't want him.

Otherwise, I am fine with signing these guys and want to include Brandon Spikes. I'd rather have Brandon Spikes on this team the next 3 years then Spiller because I know the cost of Spiller is likely going to be over $5mm/season vs. Spikes hopefully around $2.5-3mm.

What is Spillers number going to be?

Anything over $5mm and I don't want him.

Otherwise, I am fine with signing these guys and want to include Brandon Spikes. I'd rather have Brandon Spikes on this team the next 3 years then Spiller because I know the cost of Spiller is likely going to be over $5mm/season vs. Spikes hopefully around $2.5-3mm.

spiller is looking at $3-$4 million per year.

My source is every RB contract.

Understood and I agree, he should not expect a crazy amount of money. Bush got $5.25mm down to $3.25mm. I would say it is fair he gets that amount, somewhere in the $3.5mm range and for 4-5 years. I might be ok with that since he hasn't seen the major hits other backs have had and has been able to have carries limited by committee backs.

Weren't you also advocating the Bills getting rid of Bradham because of a few bad penalties in one game? That would also be a mistake.

if your keeping score, which apparently you are, I never said the bills should get rid of bradham.

I said he is a mental midget and you can't win with mental midgets. that's why spikes got cut from new England, they bench or cut mental midgets.

bradham also can't cover a TE and would be best suited to replace spikes (who is a liability in coverage) in the middle next year , with brown and kiko on the outsides who both can cover TE's. bradham has a spot on my roster, but he needs to be coached up or punished for mental mistakes.

players like spikes, bradham and hughes who keep doing mentally dumb and selfish acts hurt the team by extending opponents drives with automatic first downs, which negates some of the good they do.

in that thread, you accused me of starting another "crusade" against bradham for pointing out his weaknesses.....similar to me ragging on a mediocre EJ, who you supported.

with 53 players, we aren't always going to value each player the same.

seeing as this thread is about hughes, I like him, hope the bills sign him for a reasonable deal, but not for franchise tag money. he is a very good one trick pony sacking the QB. he cant cover rb's or te's , is weak against the run and is a mental midget.

I am of the view that you do everything to keep this same defense intact, even if it means overpaying for Hughes.

The synergy is over the top. and its really coming on. The trust is now showing up with the linebackers. These guys know the job and are very very good at it under Schwartz and Pepper J.

Dont break any of that s++t up !

I dont even want to think about not having HughesKyleMarcelMario. Its a damn dream come true ! Its perfect , its fantastic to watch and get stoked for.

Pay him. pay them all.

whatever it takes just get it done.

It's a two year window and its not pissing in the wind to keep this defense together imo.

Hell pick up Greg Hardy too.

Dont forget Kiko is coming back.

Next year could be the best year. seriously.

This year has been the best Defense i have ever seen the Bills field.

And heck i was happy with what Pettine did !