Global warming err Climate change HOAX

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

The reef has always been recoverable. Plant and animal populations are recoverable. We know this. We've known this, despite whatever narrative you're referring to. I'm not saying you're in the wrong, I'm honestly not sure what specific narrative you mean. I assume bleached corral is permanently dead, or bleached, but it doesn't mean more can't grow.

Conservation efforts go a long way, but we can't stop the large natural events that cause the bleaching of the reef, IMO. This is a train that will keep on rolling and is a cyclical global process.

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/scientists-work-to-save-coral-reefs-climate-change-marine-parks

The narrative has been the scientists need to be given funding and power to save the world, which as you say, nature will survive as long as we don't mess up too bad.

• Replies 7.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 hours ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

https://www.nationalgeographic.com/science/article/scientists-work-to-save-coral-reefs-climate-change-marine-parks

The narrative has been the scientists need to be given funding and power to save the world, which as you say, nature will survive as long as we don't mess up too bad.

There's certainly plenty of hyperbole used on both sides, but nature definitely doesn't survive against man-made threats unless we make an effort. We're probably hastening the warming effects caused by natural climate change, but it's often overstated IMO. And our impact could be reversed, but even if we were successful at that, there will still be plenty of issues. I think we should be dumping money into technology that will allow us to leave Earth and colonize the universe. We're already making big strides there, but at the same time we can't just ignore our effects here on this planet.

• Like (+1) 1

So what’s the worst that happens if after 50 years of climate adaption technology and policies we find out it was all for naught? Oh, our children and grand children get cleaner air, more efficient vehicles, cleaner energy and more efficient buildings. The horror! Earth is the only place we got to live for all of our future generations. Personally, I want my grandkids grandkids to have a place to live. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Andy1 said:

So what’s the worst that happens if after 50 years of climate adaption technology and policies we find out it was all for naught? Oh, our children and grand children get cleaner air, more efficient vehicles, cleaner energy and more efficient buildings. The horror! Earth is the only place we got to live for all of our future generations. Personally, I want my grandkids grandkids to have a place to live. 

Makes sense, assuming you’ve already downsized to zero emission eco house, don’t drive or ride anything that’s not renewable powered electric, use no fossil fuels, consume zero animal protein and pay carbon offset taxes for your farts right?  The electricity that powered your post was from a solar farm as well? And your device is a recycled non lithium or plastic containing eco device? 

I mean put up or shut up right? For the grandkids! 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

On 8/14/2022 at 6:23 AM, LeGOATski said:

There's certainly plenty of hyperbole used on both sides, but nature definitely doesn't survive against man-made threats unless we make an effort. We're probably hastening the warming effects caused by natural climate change, but it's often overstated IMO. And our impact could be reversed, but even if we were successful at that, there will still be plenty of issues. I think we should be dumping money into technology that will allow us to leave Earth and colonize the universe. We're already making big strides there, but at the same time we can't just ignore our effects here on this planet.

Beautiful - we think we can adapt to colonize inhospitable planets like mars but if earth gets a half a degree warmer in 150 years the world is over 😂 

this is just perfect 

• Haha (+1) 2

8 hours ago, Andy1 said:

nobody is saying they don’t want it. It’s how they’re doing it which is strange. 

there are giant plastic garbage islands in the ocean. Where is the funding to clean those?

germany was going to shut down their nuke plants and go back to gas and coal until people spoke up. Germany is supposedly leading this green charge. Why? 

why aren’t we building all nuke  plants and garbage fuel power plants(they produce half the emissions dumps do and have the benefit of power)

We need to be realistic and energy independent from the rest of the world.  The cost of electricity is already too high and switching everything to electric is not possible now.  Nuclear will be expensive but has to be one bridge to the future until we know if global warming is real .

• Agree 1

27 minutes ago, ALF said:

We need to be realistic and energy independent from the rest of the world.  The cost of electricity is already too high and switching everything to electric is not possible now.  Nuclear will be expensive but has to be one bridge to the future until we know if global warming is real .

You should read "The Long Emergency".  Its about the coming end of the oil age and the resulting social, political, and economic implications.  Not to spoil the story but the author reached similar conclusion as you.  Until civilization develops and identifies a more efficient and productive source of energy, nuclear power is the best option to bridge the gap in time until that happens.

But since Chernobyl in 1986 and Fukushima in 2011 nuclear power plants have been under scrutiny.  Many of the reasons well justified.  And spent fuel rod processing and disposal is always a problem.  But as a society we've let 30+ years pass without addressing this potential solution.  And counter to this approach, countries like Germany have taken steps to decommission their nuclear power plants and putting their fate in the hands of renewables like solar and wind.  

Designing, permitting, constructing, and commissioning nuclear power plants is a decade, plus, long effort.  Likely longer given current regulatory and social obstacles.  Another issue is the US has little to no current Uranium production.  If we started now this solution might be able to be deployed around 2040 or 45. 

I don't see this happening.  It would require a massive investment and a quantum shift in policy away from renewables and deploying most of that committed capital and effort to nuclear.  It would be a politically unpopular proposal given the current administration.  Unfortunately, none of this is likely until 2024 at the earliest, and people generally need to experience an emergency or a disaster before they get moving on something.  So expect that first.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

9 hours ago, Andy1 said:

UnoAndrew, the problem here is you seem to see the flip side of the Climate Doom Theory as Screw the Planet And Future Generations.  That’s silly.

Future generations are extraordinarily likely to look back and think “Wow, they fell for all that *&$#?”.   Balance, a healthy degree of skepticism, considering agenda, who gets paid, and where power is consolidated is always sensible.

On 11/19/2014 at 7:23 PM, Very wide right said:

Whatever they are calling this boogieman these days,as we were shoveling today during the record national cold wave my neighbor had a good point.When I was in high school (1980) my ultra lib environmental science teacher assured the students in my class that there was an impending ice age. A few years after I graduated from HS I heard a few teenagers talking about global warming in a book store.I did some research and I quickly realized the same thing my neighbor said today.Well before the industrial period in the world had started the worlds ice that covered most of the continent had melted during a warming period.Obviously that warming was not caused by man because the industrial era was not existent at that point so it was a natural cycle.

Man caused global warming/climate change is nothing more than a boogieman created by the left in this country and now the world to control policy.Furthermore whenever a scientist pushes this agenda one only has to Google their name and you'll soon discover that that scientist is financed by some government entity.I also discovered a couple of years ago that many scientists have been caught skewing data because the numbers didn't match their hysterical agenda.

This might be part of the problem include man & the gov't in anything & you can be guaranteed it's going to get screwed up !! 

11 hours ago, aristocrat said:

The world's first hydrogen-powered passenger trains are here

The future of environmentally friendly travel might just be here -- and it's Germany that's leading the charge, with the first ever rail line to be entirely run on hydrogen-powered trains, starting from Wednesday.

The trains are emissions-free and low-noise, with only steam and condensed water issuing from the exhaust. They have a range of 1,000 kilometers (621 miles), meaning they can run for an entire day on the network on a single tank of hydrogen. A hydrogen filling station has already been established on the route. The trains can go at a maximum of 140 kph, or 87mph, though regular speeds on the line are much less, between 80-120 kph.

https://www.cnn.com/travel/article/coradia-ilint-hydrogen-trains/index.html

• Like (+1) 1