Misconceptions about Terry Pegula

1B4IDie

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really don't understand all of the Pegula hate.

The guy is investing in the region via the Sports Franchises here. The Sabres are most likely going to be a playoff regular once the rebuild is complete and the youth gains maturity on the ice as a team.

The Bills are in a bit of a different category. They lack a true general at the helm on the field for their offense. They need some O pieces, patience as the products are built. It's been frustrating for fans all these years, but Pegula is the right kind of owner for sure.

This IS Buffalo after all...

I can easily see the Sabres tanking intentionally and then falling to 3rd or 4th in the draft & not even getting McDavid or Eichel - wouldn't that be the Buffalo way? :wallbash:

If they finish 30th then they cannot possibly pick lower than 2nd unless they choose to trade out.

Oh I was wrong then, Pegula will snap his fingers and magically make everything better.

I stand corrected.

You are wrong if you are equating a turnaround in the NHL with one on the NFL. Totally different beasts.

But it's obvious that you have your mind all set, so why bother to remind you again that the Bills have a very good foundation to be a very good team, that's missing high quality coaching. I wonder if a new owner can fix that?

Oh I was wrong then, Pegula will snap his fingers and magically make everything better.

I stand corrected.

You are wrong if you are equating a turnaround in the NHL with one on the NFL. Totally different beasts.

But it's obvious that you have your mind all set, so why bother to remind you again that the Bills have a very good foundation to be a very good team, that's missing high quality coaching. I wonder if a new owner can fix that?

One mistake Terry made is he trusted darcy.

Someone here gets it. But it was a huge mistake and he continued defending it ("What has he [Darcy] done wrong?). As it turned out, this was a monumental mistake and the Sabres paid dearly. Despite a FA shopping spree, Reiger put together a team that was historically bad. Now, will Pegula learn from this blunder or will he blindly keep the Bills current FO intact? I guess time will tell.

Very true. But Pegula originally wanted DR to run this turnaround if it wasn't for a near fan revolt, which would have been a huge mistake. Then, instead, he wanted to make LaFontaine the man in charge, someone with zero experience as a GM. Luckily for us, PLF turned him down. It was almost dumb luck we ended up with Tim Murray. I guess we'll have to see how this all plays out, but I hope Pegula learned something from the last 1-2 years.

New situation. Darcy (or anyone else) being incompetent does not make Whaley incompetent. I like Whaley and hope he stays. (No, I'm not saying Whaley is perfect, and you can like or hate the Sammy trade, but we have more talent than we've had in years.) Start from scratch and make the right decisions.

Edited by Augie

Hockey rebuilds take 5 to 7 years. NFL can be turned around in 3 years. The Pegula's. I predict, will retain Marrone but Hackett and the offensive coaching staff will be sent packing. The Bills are close to making the playoffs. Sabres have a very bright future. EMBRACE the tank.

Very true. But Pegula originally wanted DR to run this turnaround if it wasn't for a near fan revolt, which would have been a huge mistake. Then, instead, he wanted to make LaFontaine the man in charge, someone with zero experience as a GM. Luckily for us, PLF turned him down. It was almost dumb luck we ended up with Tim Murray. I guess we'll have to see how this all plays out, but I hope Pegula learned something from the last 1-2 years.

A few things to remember what really happened. Sabres ere thought to have been close to contending and it was a matter of getting a few players. Too bad for them Leino was the best available in FA that year. Note how Sabres were able to land Erhoff and Reggie ahead of other teams. Those moves aren't anything the old Sabres or old Bills used to do.

Let's not ignore that Ruff is one of the better coaches in the league.

Pegulas early moves made a lot of sense at the time. Unfortunately it didn't work out. So he did the next best thing and moved on.

Btw what are you talking about lafontaine turning him down? He was never going to be the GM.

After reading the original post, I decided there was no need to sift through the thread. One of the most ill-informed posts I've seen in a while. I'll just leave it at that.

GO BILLS!!!

Thanks now I know that Pegula Dust is real and when he sprinkles it all over the Bills, they will magically win games.

After reading the original post, I decided there was no need to sift through the thread. One of the most ill-informed posts I've seen in a while. I'll just leave it at that.

GO BILLS!!!

I'll summarize it for you.

OP believes that you either have to be very doubtful about the Pegulas ability to improve the Bills because the Sabres are in last place and won't contend until 2019. If you don't agree with that, you believe in something the OP made up called "Pegula Dust". Apparently it's a mystic potion that improves sports teams.

But there is no in between. One or the other. Don't agree, you're taking Pegula dust.

You're caught up.

You do realize the Sabres are purposely tanking, They have the number 1 talent pool and have a pretty good chance of getting the #1 pick. Which means Connor McDavid. This has been planned.

I can't believe there are people that don't know this.

"Purposely tanking" night after night... on whose authority? Having said that, later in the season with the #1 pick in sight maybe I could see some 'experimentation' ;-)

"Purposely tanking" night after night... on whose authority? Having said that, later in the season with the #1 pick in sight maybe I could see some 'experimentation' ;-)

Not to bring this thread back to life, but yes "purposely tanking" in the sense that the team has absolutely no talent. I'm sure they try and give it their all every night. But look at who Murray has brought in. The Sabres are the least talented team in the NHL and Murray set it up that way to "tank" and acquire talent through high draft picks. Very similar to the Colts, if you need an NFL analogy.

Not to bring this thread back to life, but yes "purposely tanking" in the sense that the team has absolutely no talent. I'm sure they try and give it their all every night. But look at who Murray has brought in. The Sabres are the least talented team in the NHL and Murray set it up that way to "tank" and acquire talent through high draft picks. Very similar to the Colts, if you need an NFL analogy.

Let's hope McDavid doesn't stink like the most overhyped bad QB in history, Andrew Luck.

I know exactly how the NHL draft lottery works. The team that finishes with the fewest points gets better odds at the number 1 pick. I know it doesn't gurantee it, but you have to at least finish last to get those odds. Even if they don't finish last they have 3 picks in the first round.

You completely ignored the fact that they have the number 1 talent pool according to mutiple NHL sources. Add in the 3 first rounds picks and even if they don't get Connor McDavid they are going to be absolutely LOADED with talent.

This has been planned.

If you look back we've had this for the past 10 years or so.