byrd rated as biggest free agent flop on NFL.com

justnzane

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was anyone on TBD against letting Byrd go? I feel like there was pretty overwhelming support for the decision not to offer him big money. Given his position and the fact that he's vastly overrated, Byrd is worth about half of what he received from NO.

I really thought we should keep him until I saw what the Saints gave him. I thought that was wayyyyy to much

Was anyone on TBD against letting Byrd go? I feel like there was pretty overwhelming support for the decision not to offer him big money. Given his position and the fact that he's vastly overrated, Byrd is worth about half of what he received from NO.

I'd say that's a pretty ridiculous overstatement when you look at the 4-5m a year safeties. I think if we got in the 8s last year it would've been an acceptable move.

Did you not stop by at any point around that time?

good lord, there were endless threads about losing Byrd. People lost their **** over it.

I think most wanted to keep him. He was a great player here. It was complicated though, he was probably overpaid by NO, and to this point in the season it looks like we paid the right guy. It's not about the fact he got hurt as much as it is that our D is still good without him and the smaller deal for AW may help us sign a guy like Hughes. But who knows, maybe in the NE game, when AW was hurt, had we had Byrd we wouldn't have been stuck with Duke W on Gronk. If we win that game our whole season is different. Too many variables to know what could have been.

Jairus Byrd was one of my favorite players beginning his rookie year. His upbringing , his Dad and he could play ball.

Don't want get into details at all. but the situation became toxic. And that sucked to watch. From his point of view and the teams POV. just sucked.

Glad he was gone , but i was wishing him well. sorry for the bad luck.

I have a Man crush on A Williams and D Searcy lately . These guys are making plays and look good doing it , and i like that Graham too . Corey has not looked strong as he was early on , but the DBs we have are really pretty damned good as a whole. and trending looking better each week imo

so...whatevs

stupid saints

Jairus Byrd was one of my favorite players beginning his rookie year. His upbringing , his Dad and he could play ball.

Don't want get into details at all. but the situation became toxic. And that sucked to watch. From his point of view and the teams POV. just sucked.

Glad he was gone , but i was wishing him well. sorry for the bad luck.

I have a Man crush on A Williams and D Searcy lately . These guys are making plays and look good doing it , and i like that Graham too . Corey has not looked strong as he was early on , but the DBs we have are really pretty damned good as a whole. and trending looking better each week imo

so...whatevs

stupid saints

well said, and my same sentiments. I was a big fan of Byrd his first few years, when he was really playing well and flying under the radar. The contract situation really changed my view of him. And then when AW became so good and likeable, I wanted the team to focus on re-signing AW, and washing its hands of Byrd-- which I am glad they did.

I don't hold any animosity against Byrd-- but, unlike a guy like Fitz, I don't hope he does particularly well either.

I wish I would have taped a special ESPN ran with Bill Polian and Bill Parcells where they both basically agreed that the only time you give huge money out on the defensive side of the ball is for someone who rushes the passer. It was excellent insight.

Living in New Orleans I am taking great joy in Byrd's failing. I took a lot of abuse during free agency and right now I have the last laugh. In addition, I took a great deal of heat on this board for "spreading unsubstantiated rumors" when I said that he had a reputation in the organization as a diva about 3 years ago.

I actually like Byrd as a player. I think that he is overrated but still pretty good. With that being said, I like being right more than I like Jairus Byrd. Here's hoping he remains a huge bust and I remain right :).

Edited by Kirby Jackson

Byrd being hurt should come as a surprise to no one. I loved him on the field, when he appeared.

Living in New Orleans I am taking great joy in Byrd's failing. I took a lot of abuse during free agency and right now I have the last laugh.

Apologies for the side note: I'll be in New Orleans next week and am trying to extend it for the weekend. Where's the best place to catch the Bills game? I've been there a couple times, but never on a game day. Thanks.

Living in New Orleans I am taking great joy in Byrd's failing. I took a lot of abuse during free agency and right now I have the last laugh. In addition, I took a great deal of heat on this board for "spreading unsubstantiated rumors" when I said that he had a reputation in the organization as a diva about 3 years ago.

I actually like Byrd as a player. I think that he is overrated but still pretty good. With that being said, I like being right more than I like Jairus Byrd. Here's hoping he remains a huge bust and I remain right :).

I now have concerns for you. Being right is good . Being all gloaty is excessive.

not very Zen are we Mr Kirby ?