class action settlement for bills text messages

joepa722

So people will take 75 bucks to the Bills store and buy stuff that's marked up 500%. Then they are hoping you drop more than 75 bucks buying other things that are grossly marked up.

Gee, they really were punished for their misdeeds.

:-O

It's a good thing there weren't any misdeeds to be punished for.

Like I said originally, the Judge should have put the hammer down and made the Buffalo Bills pay for any overages the guy or any other claimants had.

"That will be $0.03 for you. That will be $0.03 for you."

This is the definition of a frivolous lawsuit. I thought someone had to prove they were harmed in some way.

Can I sue the local penny saver for hanging it on my door even though I never even signed up for it! Seems like 3 times a week! Wooest me!

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a good thing there weren't any misdeeds to be punished for.

Like I said originally, the Judge should have put the hammer down and made the Buffalo Bills pay for any overages the guy or any other claimants had.

"That will be $0.03 for you. That will be $0.03 for you."

This is the definition of a frivolous lawsuit. I thought someone had to prove they were harmed in some way.

Can I sue the local penny saver for hanging it on my door even though I never even signed up for it! Seems like 3 times a week! Wooest me!

We are not the one's deciding if it is frivolous or not. I am not disagreeing w/you either. It has been decided and went forward, the Bills were found to be in the wrong, this is how they determined to settle damages. We have to respect the system's ruling... Like it or not. I was just commenting on the settlement award.

Is it really "hurting" the Bills giving a $75 "discount?" Or... Just getting more shoppers in the door? Seems like this "frivolous" suit may actually help the Bills!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

We are not the one's deciding if it is frivolous or not. I am not disagreeing w/you either. It has been decided and went forward, the Bills were found to be in the wrong, this is how they determined to settle damages. We have to respect the system's ruling... Like it or not. I was just commenting on the settlement award.

Is it really "hurting" the Bills giving a $75 "discount?" Or... Just getting more shoppers in the door? Seems like this "frivolous" suit may actually help the Bills!

It may not be hurting the Bills in the long run sure, but I think the more irritating part is the lawyers, and the class action representative that cashed in on this.

For every suit like this that may not be technically hurting the defendant, there are a whole lot more that actually hurt real people who have businesses. I guess I would have liked to see such a public case be slapped down for the benefit of those people.

It may not be hurting the Bills in the long run sure, but I think the more irritating part is the lawyers, and the class action representative that cashed in on this.

For every suit like this that may not be technically hurting the defendant, there are a whole lot more that actually hurt real people who have businesses. I guess I would have liked to see such a public case be slapped down for the benefit of those people.

It had to have legal merit to make it, let alone win.

??

And if they were slapped down... You'd have business try and run amok? It's all about balance.

??

And if they were slapped down... You'd have business try and run amok? It's all about balance.

Well anyone can make a lawsuit so that's nothing special.

http://www.cnn.com/2...f-duty-lawsuit/

I could see them winning because of the fine print. "We will only send you x number of messages" or whatever. The penalty of $60-$75 dollars per person up to millions of dollars?

Prove to me you had $60-$75 worth of damages, and maybe we will talk.

Otherwise, they should have been forced to pay for any overages they caused. And if you want to be stingy, the per text fee from cell phone providers for using valuable texts. Either way, you will never get near that for 7 extra text messages.

As for any other types of "damages" you should be awarded? You shouldn't get any. Because you weren't harmed. You. Just. Weren't.

Edit: I forgot to address "let business run amok". If the courts want to take on spam, there are faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar, better violators than a service that you voluntarily subscribed to (for free) that sends you alerts about things happening with your favorite team.

Edited by What a Tuel

I can honestly say that I do not recall ever being notified of this class action lawsuit and that I was being given an option. I know I had text messages from them the whole time, wonder what they used as their target audience of this lawsuit.

How did they notify the people? Via text message?

I disagree. You don't have to respect anything about the suit, the decision, the payout, the plaintiff or the attorney involved. It's absolutely acceptable to think poorly of the process, perfectly acceptable to think the plaintiff and the attorney involved are ambulance chasers of the highest order.

What strike me as odd is that anyone with access to the Internet and the ability to read would walk away thinking "it's only $75, how could it hurt the Bills?".

Edited by leh-nerd skin-erd

Can someone please recommend a Buffalo children's charity? I plan to donate my gift card. I could Google it, but I prefer a recommendation. Thanks.

Look back at my earlier post in the thread, and send it back to the Bills with a note you'd like it to go to a childrens charity.

If it works, then I'm going to sue the local Chinese place that keeps sending me their menu each week.

They settled rather than going to court, that's not the same as winning / losing in court. Companies will frequently settle (especially when insurance is involved) rather than taking something to court, it is about risk, not right and wrong.

Edited by Captain Caveman

Well the bills did violate a federal statute...

but let's blame the plaintiffs and lawyers?

But anyways, if you have a party that violates a federal statute, then in no way is that lawsuit frivolous...

Edited by Crayola64

Well the bills did violate a federal statute...

but let's blame the plaintiffs and lawyers?

But anyways, if you have a party that violates a federal statute, then in no way is that lawsuit frivolous...

The extra 2 text messages that were sent (or whatever it was) didn't harm anybody. It's like driving 46 in a 45. Technically, you can get a ticket but the cop that writes it looks like the bigger idiot. There is letter of the law and spirit of the law. This lawsuit was clearly a violation of common sense.

The extra 2 text messages that were sent (or whatever it was) didn't harm anybody. It's like driving 46 in a 45. Technically, you can get a ticket but the cop that writes it looks like the bigger idiot. There is letter of the law and spirit of the law. This lawsuit was clearly a violation of common sense.

No it wasn't. The violated a federal statute, I'm sorry its not frivolous or against common sense. If it was, the bill's lawyers wouldn't have settled. I'm fully aware parties settle to avoid litigation costs, but they don't settle frivolous lawsuits for millions of dollars. There was nothing wrong with the lawsuit or complaint. You can hate our legal system, but this suit was fair game.