Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

even if we miss playoffs 9&7, kinda hate to say it, but 9 & 7 will be considered a successful season

I believe there are many who share your sentiment that if the Bills finish 9-7 it will be considered a successful season. I am not one who shares your belief. IMO, if you miss the playoffs, you have failed. Twelve teams make the playoffs. In other terms, 37.5% of all teams make the playoffs. If you miss the playoffs, you have not been successful. I guess it all depends on how you define successful. The problem with the Buffalo Bills is that they have been horrible for such a long time that any improvement is seen as success. The bar has been lowered so low over the last 15 years that Bills fans have forgotten was true success looks like. This team has shown progress, but I wouldn't mistake that for success just yet.

I've seen every Bills team since 1960 and I remember what success looks like and what failure looks like, this team is somewhere between the extremes. However, it is not good enough at present and has a considerable way to go. Without a franchise QB in sight, the Bills are a long way from a Super Bowl.

Ran a few scenarios through the playoff machine on ESPN there are some reasonable situations that see us playing NE in a win and we're in scenario:

Week 15

W (L)

PIT (ATL)

NE (MIA)

KC (OAK)

IND (HOU)

BAL (JAX)

BUF (GB)

CIN (CLE)

DEN (SD)

Week 16

W (L)

MIA (MIN)

BAL (HOU)

CLE (CAR)

KC (PIT)

NE (NYJ)

BUF (OAK)

DEN (CIN)

IND (DAL)

These outcomes would result in a scenario in week 17 where a KC loss against SD and a BUF win @ NE would get BUF into the playoffs. Let's get this one this weekend!

Around the league in Week 15

With the regular season winding down, here’s a look at how the playoff picture can develop in Week 15. The Broncos (West), Colts (South) and Patriots (East) are among the teams that can clinch AFC division titles, while the Packers and Cardinals can lock up postseason berths in the NFC.

The most frustrating thing for me is no matter our record the QB situation is still not figured out. If we went 8-8 or 9-7 and it was clearer that EJ was the answer - IMO it would be a hugely successful season. To me going 10-6 with Orton means little.

Edited by Triple Threat

Whatever the OP is drinking, I'll take some!!!! Perhaps it will make me forget this will be the 15th year in a row the Bills haven't made the playoffs. Or that the Bills have no prospect for a decent QB. Or that the OL is in shambles. Or that Fred Jackson may have hit the wall and suddenly the Bills RB situation looks bleak. Or that the head coach and OC are complete nimrods that don't deserve the jobs they hold. That will have to be some really powerful stuff.

This post gave me deja vu.

Edited by THE KIKO MONSTER

The most frustrating thing for me is no matter our record the QB situation is still not figured out. If we went 8-8 or 9-7 and it was clearer that EJ was the answer - IMO it would be a hugely successful season. To me going 10-6 with Orton means little.

Really? After years of losing ... a 10-6 record with a question mark at QB tells you they have a really good team, doesn't it? Sure you need to find a better than average QB to run things or hope EJ has learned what he needs, but going forward you have a based one which to build on. Some the team has not had in 14 years.

Really? After years of losing ... a 10-6 record with a question mark at QB tells you they have a really good team, doesn't it? Sure you need to find a better than average QB to run things or hope EJ has learned what he needs, but going forward you have a based one which to build on. Some the team has not had in 14 years.

Not me. I don't get this train of thought at all. I want the team to win and I'm not apologizing for winning with whoever the QB is.

If we win this weekend, we will make the playoffs. I say this because it will mean we are a good football team good football teams can win 3 straight against inferior opponents. Yes the Patriots are inferior. *if we can beat the packers

We didn't look inferior kicking the crap out of you in your building now did we?

You don't see all the playoff scenarios on pats fan pages do you?

All we need to do is win one lousy game and we are once again division champs. How's that for inferior?

NFL Week 15 Playoff Implications: The Chances A Coin Flip Will Decide The Postseason

Our AFC chart is thickly carpeted with playoff implications this week, with Miami, Buffalo, San Diego, Kansas City, Houston and the entire AFC North vying for a wild card position. Indeed, it might seem like there’s an unusually high amount of clustering this season. Are we in danger of a late-season adventure through the NFL’s list of complicated tiebreaking procedures?1

beuoy-rfb-playoffimpweek15-table2.png?w=700

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

A loser will win: The sorry state of the NFC South

Matt Ryan's Falcons and Drew Brees' Saints are chasing a playoff spot, though a winning record appears out of reach. Judy Battista weighs the ramifications of the NFC South's division-wide struggles.

Buffalo's stellar pass rush faces its greatest test yet. The Bills have a league-leading 48 sacks. The Packers' explosive offense is fronted by Aaron Rodgers, who averages 2.90 seconds in the pocket before throwing -- the fifth-longest time to throw in the NFL. Buffalo has 28 takeaways this season, second-most in the NFL, but the Packers have just eight giveaways, fewest in the league, with Rodgers responsible for just three interceptions and a fumble. The Packers are chasing the Cardinals for the NFC's top seed, while the Bills are currently the 11th seed in the AFC.

If we win this weekend, we will make the playoffs. I say this because it will mean we are a good football team good football teams can win 3 straight against inferior opponents. Yes the Patriots are inferior. *if we can beat the packers

It's not nice of you not to share that outstanding weed you have being new to the board and all.

It's downright disrespectful.

I believe there are many who share your sentiment that if the Bills finish 9-7 it will be considered a successful season. I am not one who shares your belief. IMO, if you miss the playoffs, you have failed. Twelve teams make the playoffs. In other terms, 37.5% of all teams make the playoffs. If you miss the playoffs, you have not been successful. I guess it all depends on how you define successful. The problem with the Buffalo Bills is that they have been horrible for such a long time that any improvement is seen as success. The bar has been lowered so low over the last 15 years that Bills fans have forgotten was true success looks like. This team has shown progress, but I wouldn't mistake that for success just yet.

I've seen every Bills team since 1960 and I remember what success looks like and what failure looks like, this team is somewhere between the extremes. However, it is not good enough at present and has a considerable way to go. Without a franchise QB in sight, the Bills are a long way from a Super Bowl.

Maybe we should aspire to be like the Falcons or Panthers?

Guys...as long as we dont overlook Oakland, there is a chance we can be playing New England for a playoff spot. 10-6 doesnt guarentee us a playoff slot, but I was fooling around with ESPN's Playoff Machine.

If everyone who is higher in the power rankings wins out...and we go 10-6, we miss the playoffs. But to show you how close it is, if only ONE game changes (SF beats San Diego, or Houston beats Baltimore, or Cleveland beats Baltimore, or Kansas City beats San Diego) we are IN.

Gotta be happy we are in this position! 10-6 gets in almost evey other year.