Updated: The AFC Playoff Picture

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Russell Wilson > Kyle Orton

yes I'm sure we all agree that RW is greater then (>) KO.

Jets proved last night that running the ball is OVERRATED, unless you have a nice lead

You can churn up tons of yards, kill clock, and end up getting nothing to show for it. Then the other team makes two plays and you're suddenly behind and all that work is erased.

ummm they ran and ran and ran and had the lead until they stopped running.

maybe it proves that a great passing game is overrated!!

yes I'm sure we all agree that RW is greater then (>) KO.

I think you just said that the jests have a great passing game.

Except, they didn't.

Their offense gained 232 yards in the first half and 63 yards in the second half (not counting last desperation drive). Running down field in the first half wasn't truly effective because Miami's D stiffened up as the field got shorter, forcing FG tries. Jets had three consecutive 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter, losing 4 net yards. One of those drives started at the Miami 30.

So tell me exactly how well that plan worked out and how the passing game was overrated?

Miami has two gimme games, both at home against Minnesota and NYJ.

not for nothing but this Miami team almost just lost to the Jets. Remember last year when they had to win 1 of 2 gimme games against the Bills and Jets? That didn't quite work out as planned... any given sunday (at least I hope lol)

Jets proved last night that running the ball is OVERRATED, unless you have a nice lead

You can churn up tons of yards, kill clock, and end up getting nothing to show for it. Then the other team makes two plays and you're suddenly behind and all that work is erased.

Not really. That was the first game in NFL history where a team rushed for 200+ yards, had zero turnovers, and held the ball for 40+ minutes and lost. Running the ball is still very rated.

Week 14 -- who we want in key games

Steelers @ Bengals -- Bengals as we want them to win out the division and beat WC competitors Steelers and Browns

Jets @ Vikes - Jets as it helps our SoS

Ravens @ Dolphins - I think Ravens as Fins are currently ahead in the WC rankings, may also help in somewhat unlikely event it comes down to us and Dolphins in the division

Texans @ Jags - Jags

Chiefs @ Cardinals - Cardinals

Patriots @ Chargers - tough one to call, if we win and Pats lose that's only 1 back in the loss column, which would be an amazing closing of the gap. But if we can't catch them then it would have been better off they register a loss for a WC competitor. Personally I'd take a Patriots loss as it gives us another angle at the playoffs, and take our chances that Chargers lose other remaining games to Broncos, and Chiefs and 9ers on the road

You actually want to root for the Dolphins....A Dolphins win will give Buffalo the third tiebreaker of common games.

A miami win puts them at a noncommon record of 2-0 (along with New england) while Buffalo is 1-1

from there all you need is the Dolphins to lose a divisional game and not go 5-1

If buffalo and Miami were to win out then Miami would be 1st at 11-5, Buffalo in 2nd at 11-5 and New England in 3rd at 11-5. If Miami lose an additional game (Jets or Minnesota) then Buffalo wins the division. If Mia was to lose to NE then nyou need NE lose a different game like this weekend at San diego.

If Baltimore was to win...then that put Miami at 1-1 in noncommon. Then if Miami and Buffalo were to end up tied, Miami would likely have the tiebrekers. As of right now a better divisional record, they would split H2H and common games. Miami would have a better conference record by going 1-2 against the NFC to BUF 3-0

Except, they didn't.

Their offense gained 232 yards in the first half and 63 yards in the second half (not counting last desperation drive). Running down field in the first half wasn't truly effective because Miami's D stiffened up as the field got shorter, forcing FG tries. Jets had three consecutive 3 and outs in the 3rd quarter, losing 4 net yards. One of those drives started at the Miami 30.

So tell me exactly how well that plan worked out and how the passing game was overrated?

WRT the passing game was overrated

I am sooooooo sorry that my bad joke went sooooo wrong.

Not really. That was the first game in NFL history where a team rushed for 200+ yards, had zero turnovers, and held the ball for 40+ minutes and lost. Running the ball is still very rated.

Did the NFL rule that Geno's 4th quarter interception didn't count?

You go out and run, run, run....

15 plays, 84 YDS, 8 minute drive.

FG

3-0

My offense comes out and misses a couple throws. I punt.

Your offense does another 12 play, 76 yard drive that kills another 7-8 minutes of clock but settle for a FG.

6-0

My QB comes in, flicks his wrist twice, and I'm up 7-6.

Now if you run like the Jets did AND score touchdowns to finish those drives, it's another story. But so often the run game stalls in the red zone, since the D is crammed in tight.

Edited by TheFunPolice

I hate to break up the Monday Night Football thread...but...

Here it is, my Ultimate-One-In-A-Billion-Lightning-Strikes-Twice-Hole-In-One-Royal-Flush-Powerball-Winning Buffalo Bills Playoff Scenario

That's right, we get in at 8-8 and only have to beat the Raiders. All too easy.

Nice one haha. One game going wrong kills it though right?

If Baltimore was to win...then that put Miami at 1-1 in noncommon. Then if Miami and Buffalo were to end up tied, Miami would likely have the tiebrekers. As of right now a better divisional record, they would split H2H and common games. Miami would have a better conference record by going 1-2 against the NFC to BUF 3-0

Oh please no!

In that scenario, if Baltimore was to lose......that would mean that Miami would win.....which would put them a game ahead of the Bills.

Where is Crayonz when you need him?

Which 7-5 teams will emerge and make the postseason?

Buffalo -- Current position: AFC’s 8th seed -- Just by having a winning record and being in playoff contention, the Bills are already in strange and almost virgin territory by recent Buffalo standards. They haven’t combined those two factors entering December since 2000, the final season of the team’s Wade Phillips coaching era, and the year after their most recent playoff berth. So it’s been a while and there might be the impulse to prematurely feel a little good about themselves. That is what coach Doug Marrone seemed to be pushing back against on Monday when he refused to look past this week’s challenging trip to Denver: “You’re way ahead of me,” he said. “I’m not looking at the last quarter [of the season] right now. I’m just looking at this upcoming game.”

I don’t blame Marrone for keeping the blinders on. If the Bills look up right now, they may get dizzy from both their unaccustomed lofty heights, and the fact that Buffalo faces Peyton Manning, Aaron Rodgers and Tom Brady in three of their final four games (as well as Oakland rookie Derek Carr). That’s a tall task for any team, especially since three of those games are on the road. But the Bills’ plight is made even tougher by their poor AFC record (4-5) and head-to-head losses to fellow wild-card contenders San Diego and Kansas City. The win over the Browns on Sunday helped, but for a Bills team that has been hanging around on the fringes of playoff contention all year -- never having a losing month or dropping below .500 -- it’ll be a long and painful December.

-- Projection: 8-8 and misses the playoffs.