Gerald McCoy contract --> Dareus

YoloinOhio

Listen, I love the guy, but Dareus has a history of dogging it. I hope he's beyond those days (which were actually quite a while ago), but I'd be worried of how he plays after hitting the jackpot. It happens too often.

As for picking between Hughes and Dareus, regardless of play on the field (because they're both great contributors), you pick the guy who's still going to play lights-out after the payday.

Edited by Saint Doug

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would love to re-sign him, but I would rather pay Hughes big money than Dareus.

I don't know. Dareus is the whole package. He can rush the QB and play the Run well. Hughes is also thriving because of the other three guys on the front four. Who would you rather double team: Mario, Marcel, Kyle or Hughes

I don't know. Dareus is the whole package. He can rush the QB and play the Run well. Hughes is also thriving because of the other three guys on the front four. Who would you rather double team: Mario, Marcel, Kyle or Hughes

I think Hughes would be harder to replace. Pure dominating pass rushers are hard to find. Some may laugh at this, but I think Stefan Charles could replace dareus with not a huge drop off commensurate to the cost.

I think Hughes would be harder to replace. Pure dominating pass rushers are hard to find. Some may laugh at this, but I think Stefan Charles could replace dareus with not a huge drop off commensurate to the cost.

Dareus has 7 sacks in 7 games from the DT position. He is 2nd in the league in sacks only to Von Miller. It doesn't really get more dominating that that. No offense but there would be a huge drop off from Dareus to Charles.

Dareus has 7 sacks in 7 games from the DT position. He is 2nd in the league in sacks only to Von Miller. It doesn't really get more dominating that that. No offense but there would be a huge drop off from Dareus to Charles.

dareus is also being double teamed every week. Hughes is good but he benefits by the attention the other 3 demand.

Good points.

But are you also figuring in cost and risk?

If dareus was a choir boy and could be had for less than McCoy, then I might change my view.

Good points.

But are you also figuring in cost and risk?

If dareus was a choir boy and could be had for less than McCoy, then I might change my view.

Hughes isn't a choir boy himself, is he? These guys must know that they are getting the kind of production they are because of each other and they must be enjoying it. I would think they would all want to stay together. McCoy on the other hand is being paid to be the face of the franchise right now, which he is. Our line is a unit and I wouldn't say any one of our guys stands out above the rest.

Hughes isn't a choir boy himself, is he? These guys must know that they are getting the kind of production they are because of each other and they must be enjoying it. I would think they would all want to stay together. McCoy on the other hand is being paid to be the face of the franchise right now, which he is. Our line is a unit and I wouldn't say any one of our guys stands out above the rest.

While the sum of the parts is impressive, I beg to differ. Dareus has stood out. Being double teamed and still getting into the backfield, accumulating sacks and hurries and stopping the run has really made people realize that he is at the top of the DT talent pool. Losing talent has been a Bills specialty, but lets hope that doesn't happen with Dareus.

Another point to ponder if you don't trust him fully- could it make sense to let him play out his 8m option next year, tag at just shy of 10m and an option to tag at 12m the year after to give him 3 contract years as motivation. That's a 3 year 30m deal at the close of this year that all team options essentially.

I could see this. Be tricky but good idea. I presently would imagine that these guys like and want to play together, they would need to sell it right to Dareus. The question is what do you pay 55?

Is it possible to have 3 $100 million dollar defensive players on one roster?

Hughes might get bigger contract than Dareus on the open market right now.

McCoy just sent the benchmark for Dareus.

Let's see how they fin angle this one.

Both players scare me though, they both could be the kinda guys that disappear after they get their second contract.

I just can't imagine the Bills being able to keep this DLine together next year.

I think they need to spend every dollar to do. especially since we don't have to worry about signing a QB in the next 3 years. it just seems outlandish from a salary cap perspective.

Here's the question I have on dareus: why is he playing so much better this year? He's shown flashes (good and bad) in prior years, but this time he's a beast game in, game out. Is he better conditioned? Don't think so as he originally failed physical. Is it the scheme? He's played 4-3 before. Other players? Essentially same as last year except for spikes. Is spikes behind him a factor? Is it motivation for new contract?

For the teams with confirmed or marginal (Cutler, Matt Ryan) franchise QBs, a significant percent of the cap is tied up at that position. For better or for worse, the Bills do not have this 'problem' and appear to be a few years away from it. Till that time, it is fair game to spread the dollars to the rare skills and pro-bowl type performers. Dareus certainly fits that mold however his past off-field troubles stop me from advocating insane guaranteed dollars. As NoSaint advocates, it is in the Bills interest to stretch his contract and tag him till he proves himself to be trouble free. That may not be a luxury the Bills have as there are a lot of variables that come into play - Dareus holding out, other teams willing to overlook his troubles and still pay him etc.

Be that as it may, I think $51 M guaranteed for any position is ridiculous.

Yeah, because tagging works wonders when your goal is to keep a good player. Tagging Dareus will do nothing but turn a productive player who wants to play his entire career in Buffalo into an angry, disaffected holdout working with his agent to do everything everything possible to get out of here. There will be plenty of teams willing to pay the man. The result for us would be to have wasted the highest draft pick the franchise has had since 1985. Shrewd.

Here's the question I have on dareus: why is he playing so much better this year? He's shown flashes (good and bad) in prior years, but this time he's a beast game in, game out. Is he better conditioned? Don't think so as he originally failed physical. Is it the scheme? He's played 4-3 before. Other players? Essentially same as last year except for spikes. Is spikes behind him a factor? Is it motivation for new contract?

My guess is its $.

And there is nothing wrong with that.

He's at or close to the top of the food chain as far as DTs are concerned given his age and more consistent play, but the character concerns are real though a lot less than somebody like Haynesworth who landed a huge contract.

I know I takes a few years for DTs to fully come around but my impression has always been that he's a guy who can pretty much flat out dominate whenever he makes up his mind to do so.

Is his spotty play in prior years just a question of development or motivation.

Important question.

I've always felt that defense wins championships and that the DLine is where you want to be dominant. That said, it's no surprise that McCoy is getting so much. The Bills will likely offer a healthy contract to resign Dareus. The big question is does Dareus look for the biggest pay day or does he really want to be here. I don't know. The Bills may feel it's necessary to match what the market is dictating or not. All I know is the McCoy contract puts more pressure on the front office. Ultimately, It will likely come down to Pegula deciding if he wants to spend that much on him.

Albert Haynesworth. Never guarantee that much money to a defensive tackle. I know Dareus was dealing with off the field issues last year, but I think we've seen what can happen when he's not motivated.

Poor example. Haynesworth had many more character concerns than Marcell, mainly whether or not he loved football. Dareus LOVES football. I'd be very comfortable giving him a contract extension