MMQB: Kevin Kolb Battles the Storms, Outside and In

YoloinOhio

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I tell ya, "God" sure does have some effed up plans for people...

If you're talking about the Creator of All Things, I know we'll never understand. He could be pin-pointing you from a cloud right now, and do you think our collective understanding matches his? Do you think he fears our technology?

Kolb wrote this article for MMQB about life after football with concussions

Like someone shooting a shotgun next to my ear, every second of every day’—that’s how the former NFL quarterback describes the effects of the concussions he suffered during his six seasons in the league. How do you face a challenge like that and move on?

http://mmqb.si.com/2...xico-hurricane/

Well, by getting drunk and climbing behind the wheel of a boat, of course.

My coworker's kid got a concussion playing soccer and the kid missed a month of school. Not soccer.

I play twice a week and this makes me think it's time to ban soccer. That's the only rational response when anyone has any possibility of getting hurt. ;)

Just like Buddy, this new regime has no clue in getting a QB either in FA or in the draft. The old adage still remains golden. You keep drafting a few QBs a year until you succeed. For the Bills to go last year with Kolb, EJ and Tuel was just moronic and they did not learn their lesson after the season was over. It is just insane.

The current regime and Buddy are almost one in the same, save for one should-never-have-been GM who was "retired" in favor of his deputy.

I play twice a week and this makes me think it's time to ban soccer. That's the only rational response when anyone has any possibility of getting hurt. ;)

The current regime and Buddy are almost one in the same, save for one should-never-have-been GM who was "retired" in favor of his deputy.

> I play twice a week and this makes me think it's time to ban soccer. That's the only rational response when anyone has any possibility of getting hurt. ;)

Ban soccer? No. But they do need to change the rules. It should be illegal to touch the ball with your head, the same way it's illegal to touch the ball with your hands. Not even goalies should be allowed to touch the ball with their heads.

While that rule change won't eliminate soccer-related concussions, it would dramatically reduce the number. The whole headbutting the ball thing doesn't add that much to the game. Certainly not enough to justify the concussions/brain damage that goes with it.

If you're talking about the Creator of All Things, I know we'll never understand. He could be pin-pointing you from a cloud right now, and do you think our collective understanding matches his? Do you think he fears our technology?

Isn't he a little behind the curve if he's just now using the cloud?

> I play twice a week and this makes me think it's time to ban soccer. That's the only rational response when anyone has any possibility of getting hurt. ;)

Ban soccer? No. But they do need to change the rules. It should be illegal to touch the ball with your head, the same way it's illegal to touch the ball with your hands. Not even goalies should be allowed to touch the ball with their heads.

While that rule change won't eliminate soccer-related concussions, it would dramatically reduce the number. The whole headbutting the ball thing doesn't add that much to the game. Certainly not enough to justify the concussions/brain damage that goes with it.

You don't get the concussions from heading the ball... you get them from clashing heads when challenging to head the ball or at least the couple I have had in my career have been from that.

I was being facetious. I enjoy playing soccer and following the sport, but in contemporary society we move to ban or severely curtail anything which has the possibility of hurting people. This is probably PPP, but I'm just tired of hearing the all-knowing types tell us what's safe and what's not. I'll make that decision for myself.

Show me any team that's ever drafted a few qbs a year

Andy Reid has a history of regularly drafting a qb somewhere in many of his drafts. With KC the first thing he did was acquire Alex Smith to stabilize that position and in this year's draft he selected an injured Aaron Murray from Georgia with a low round pick. With the Eagles he took Foles in the third round when he had McNaab. He also brought in Vick as a reclaimation project. He more than anyone else that I can think of is constantly looking not only to upgrade the position but to find prospects that he can develop. Andy Reid not only has an eye for qb talent but he knows how to develop them. The work he did with Vick was impressive.

Glad he's finding something to do with his time, but those lifetime symptoms sound rough. Dealing with a limp, is one thing, dealing with head issues for the rest of your life is another.

Isn't he a little behind the curve if he's just now using the cloud?

:lol:

Kolb wrote this article for MMQB about life after football with concussions

Like someone shooting a shotgun next to my ear, every second of every day’—that’s how the former NFL quarterback describes the effects of the concussions he suffered during his six seasons in the league. How do you face a challenge like that and move on?

http://mmqb.si.com/2...xico-hurricane/

Sounds as though he's moving on with life nicely and has his concussed head on straight. Good for him.

I coached a kid in rowing because he had to leave hs football with too many concussions. 6 to be exact. He was only a sophomore at the time. Coached him his JR. year. Not sure how he was allowed to keep playing by the district. He missed a full year of school after the last one. Even now his attendance at school is poor sometimes only once or twice per week with headaches and other concussion issues. Parents have tried every medical option and nothing is helping. They are now moving towards more hollistic options. Kind of throwing a Hail Mary at this point. There are still issues getting through workouts He used to be an A student, now struggles for low Bs and Cs. I never realized or experienced the severity of concussions until I met him. It's pretty insane.

I coached a kid in rowing because he had to leave hs football with too many concussions. 6 to be exact. He was only a sophomore at the time. Coached him his JR. year. Not sure how he was allowed to keep playing by the district. He missed a full year of school after the last one. Even now his attendance at school is poor sometimes only once or twice per week with headaches and other concussion issues. Parents have tried every medical option and nothing is helping. They are now moving towards more hollistic options. Kind of throwing a Hail Mary at this point. There are still issues getting through workouts He used to be an A student, now struggles for low Bs and Cs. I never realized or experienced the severity of concussions until I met him. It's pretty insane.

That is really sad. I'm not one to judge others (generally), but I will say more energy spent on prevention and less on a cure would have made for a better life. I hope they can turn it around. We have more experience than we'd like with the effects of brain injury, and seemingly inconsequential events can change a life drastically - or in some cases even end it.

That is really sad. I'm not one to judge others (generally), but I will say more energy spent on prevention and less on a cure would have made for a better life. I hope they can turn it around. We have more experience than we'd like with the effects of brain injury, and seemingly inconsequential events can change a life drastically - or in some cases even end it.

I totally agree and by no means want to indict the parents, though I mentioned the district. I don't understand how a school district charged with trying to increase the and benefit the welfare of our children can continue to let a child endanger themselves repeatedly to the point of life altering events. Not to mention the insurance issues. Tonawanda is lucky that these parents aren't sue happy because this could have been a major lawsuit. There are obvious parent responsibilities as well, but still. These issues will have an effect on quality of life for a lifetime.

On a larger issue it is this, and stories like these, that shape my opinion on the future of football. A few of these extreme cases with families that take districts to court will make the sport nearly impossible to afford once insurance companies have to pay huge sums in pay outs. The death (if it happens) will start in pop warner and hs, and reach its way to the collegiate level, since most aren't the huge economic engines like Bama. The sport won't fall off the earth entirely but will reduce drastically in size.

Andy Reid has a history of regularly drafting a qb somewhere in many of his drafts. With KC the first thing he did was acquire Alex Smith to stabilize that position and in this year's draft he selected an injured Aaron Murray from Georgia with a low round pick. With the Eagles he took Foles in the third round when he had McNaab. He also brought in Vick as a reclaimation project. He more than anyone else that I can think of is constantly looking not only to upgrade the position but to find prospects that he can develop. Andy Reid not only has an eye for qb talent but he knows how to develop them. The work he did with Vick was impressive.

McNabb was the top QB prospect in the 1999 draft.

Vick's tenure in Philly was a disaster under Reid. 20-20 record as a starter. Got physically destroyed---- injured every year and missed games.

McNabb was long gone when Foles was drafted. Foles went 1-5 as a starter under Reid. He's gone 13-3 since Reid left.

Smith was in the NFCC game after one year with Harbaugh. He is 14-8 in 2 years with Reid (losing 9 of their last 14 games).

Reid with McNabb: 105-56. Reid without McNabb: 27-34.

My first rule change: go the old college way, when a player is down (whether by contact or not) the whistle blows and the play is over. The occasional mistake play that makes the highlight reel (think Keith Rivers in Houston) isn't worth the continued hitting and the chance that a player who is down (or down and getting up) has someone fly into him. Plus I don't even know what the rule is now, which is why I kind of understand the Rivers blunder -- defensive players are running toward the play, have momentum, but can't do much more than touch a player who's down or risk a penalty. Just not worth it anymore.

And on Kolb: in a way, he's lucky, in the way that a boxer with a weak chin doesn't stick around long enough to suffer like Muhammad Ali when his career is over. Think of the centers who've been able to take dozens of blows to the head and keep playing -- it doesn't end up well.

The whole headbutting the ball thing doesn't add that much to the game. Certainly not enough to justify the concussions/brain damage that goes with it.

That is 100% wrong. Many many many goals are scored off of headers. Concussions aren't caused by heading the ball. They are caused by heading the ball incorrectly or as another poster said hitting heads with another player. Much like the risk of concussions/injuries is lessened when players tackle correctly a head butt done correctly will not cause a concussion. I played soccer for many years and never got a diagnosed concussion. I don't remember any instance of heading the ball and having any symptoms.

MMJ ;)

McNabb was the top QB prospect in the 1999 draft.

Vick's tenure in Philly was a disaster under Reid. 20-20 record as a starter. Got physically destroyed---- injured every year and missed games.

McNabb was long gone when Foles was drafted. Foles went 1-5 as a starter under Reid. He's gone 13-3 since Reid left.

Smith was in the NFCC game after one year with Harbaugh. He is 14-8 in 2 years with Reid (losing 9 of their last 14 games).

Reid with McNabb: 105-56. Reid without McNabb: 27-34.

It was Kolb that was drafted in the second while McNabb was still around.

That is 100% wrong. Many many many goals are scored off of headers. Concussions aren't caused by heading the ball. They are caused by heading the ball incorrectly or as another poster said hitting heads with another player. Much like the risk of concussions/injuries is lessened when players tackle correctly a head butt done correctly will not cause a concussion. I played soccer for many years and never got a diagnosed concussion. I don't remember any instance of heading the ball and having any symptoms.

MEMORY LOSS!

MEMORY LOSS!

Ha! I knew I had left that opening when I typed it but decided to leave it. I certainly never had a diagnosed concussion and played soccer close to year round. I started when I was 4 and continued until I was too old, fat, and out of shape to keep up with the kids playing indoor (so like 28 lol).