Tom Brady the Flopper

PO'14

No way he stepped on another players foot. He sat er fell down on his own aka a soccer player. I also like the PI call at the17 sec point in the 2 qtr. total BS call.

Yup that was the old heave it and hope for a penalty call I referenced in the other thread. Ridiculously bad call that not surprisingly benefited the Pats*.

I bet you they score at least 1 TD every game on a PI call.

They need to just change the rule-- make PI a 10-yd penalty, not a spot foul.

It's unfair that way. Imagine being on your own 5 yard line and throwing a bomb. Only one man to beat and the guy takes out your receiver. He would have been gone for a TD but you are now on your 15 yard line instead. It's a double edge sword with those kind of plays.

I'm sure there is a good formula to counteract those type of things but I'd have to think about it for a bit.

It's unfair that way. Imagine being on your own 5 yard line and throwing a bomb. Only one man to beat and the guy takes out your receiver. He would have been gone for a TD but you are now on your 15 yard line instead. It's a double edge sword with those kind of plays.

I'm sure there is a good formula to counteract those type of things but I'd have to think about it for a bit.

I can live with that as a worst-case scenario. It is better than the alternative, which is these PI penalties near the end zone leading to automatic TDs every game.

Wasn't the college rule PI = 10-yd penalty?

I can live with that as a worst-case scenario. It is better than the alternative, which is these PI penalties near the end zone leading to automatic TDs every game.

That would be awful, glad you're not in charge of officiating.

Say what you will, they have three wins in less than two weeks and right now are the best team in the division, AGAIN. Pisses me off too, but it is the reality of the situation. Pats will win the division again and I'm just hoping we can win enough games to get one of the WC's. We had our shot last Sunday and failed miserably. Yes Brady is a tool, but he is also a HOF QB.

True, but in looking at the schedules, if we fix the running game by better Guard play against weaker teams, we could still win the AFCE. I'm not saying we will, but I'll maintain hope until we're out. They have a tough schedule in the coming weeks. The sad thing is I really believed we have the team to play the Pats like the jets with solid defense, and run the damn ball down their throat.

That's your opinion. It works well in college and I believe that it would work well in the NFL. Teams would adjust quickly and handle it. Fans would gnash their teeth and talk about the old times, players would play and in this case the game would be better.

The spirit of JR's post has some merit though. I am sick of Brady always going deep on a 3rd and long because he knows most of the times he is going to get a PI or defensive holding penalty. While a 10 yarder will still get them the first down, a spot foul turns what could be a good D stand into a big advance for the O. Changes the perspective, negates the good the D did on the first two downs and could change momentum.

This serves as your reminder that he went to Michigan.

**cough**whitner**cough**cough**

That's your opinion. It works well in college and I believe that it would work well in the NFL. Teams would adjust quickly and handle it. Fans would gnash their teeth and talk about the old times, players would play and in this case the game would be better.

Should be like running in to/roughing the kicker. 10 yards for routine interference, spot foul for egregious/outcome altering interference.

The spirit of JR's post has some merit though. I am sick of Brady always going deep on a 3rd and long because he knows most of the times he is going to get a PI or defensive holding penalty. While a 10 yarder will still get them the first down, a spot foul turns what could be a good D stand into a big advance for the O. Changes the perspective, negates the good the D did on the first two downs and could change momentum.

The other change I would make would be no more automatic first downs. Kills me to see a stupid ticky tack illegal contact away from the ball on a 3rd and 15.... Leads to an Automatic first down. Every penalty is a simple yardage penalty. I think it would make the officials less of an influence on the game.

On the other hand, every time a DB's about to give up a big play outside of ten yards, he can just mug the receiver and nullify the potential gain.

On the other hand, every time a DB's about to give up a big play outside of ten yards, he can just mug the receiver and nullify the potential gain.

Yup; and it would be considered a "smart" defensive play, like fouling a guy in bball when he has an open lay-up.

The parade of horribles is overstated; college football didn't make PI a spot foul and you don't see a ton if muggings.