How does St. Doug win you over?

I like Marrone. He has shown a willingness to what he needs to do to put the best team on the field, at least as far as the players are concerned. (I would like to hear that his offensive coordinator is under the gun). For St Doug status he needs to get us to the playoffs this year.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's playoffs or bust. The benching of the 1st round QB he helped select put his head on the chopping block.

and not benching him would have put his head there too....it's what bad teams do keep switching coaches wanting a winner in too short a period of time

1/4 of the way though year two - where's my winner ?

Edited by CardinalScotts

Playoffs and also needs to clearly show his offensive scheme can/does evolve based on the players he has. But it is a longshot for me. I think he's just keeping the HC seat warm.

Agreed. I'd love to see Kevin Sumlin, Baylor, or Auburn's coaches get a shot here. They actually run creative offenses that make players better.

We run Marty Ball.

and not benching him would have put his head there too....it's what bad teams do keep switching coaches wanting a winner in too short a period of time

1/4 of the way though year two - where's my winner ?

We were 2-2 with EJ. We very easily could have been 0-2 with Orton.

Not going to turn this into a qb thread, but why should we ever trust Marrone to draft/ develop a QB again? Orton isn't the answer. So we are going to need a coaching staff that can develop a young QB. Would you honestly trust Marrone and Hackett to do so? I don't.

Agreed. I'd love to see Kevin Sumlin, Baylor, or Auburn's coaches get a shot here. They actually run creative offenses that make players better.

We run Marty Ball.

We were 2-2 with EJ. We very easily could have been 0-2 with Orton.

Not going to turn this into a qb thread, but why should we ever trust Marrone to draft/ develop a QB again? Orton isn't the answer. So we are going to need a coaching staff that can develop a young QB. Would you honestly trust Marrone and Hackett to do so? I don't.

Since you did turn it into a QB thread, it's worth reiterating that Orton - who is not the answer - is better than the woefully inaccurate passer he replaced. Not sure how that reflects poorly on Marrone.

Marrone would win me over by getting us to the bye week 5-3 and being graceful to the new head coach when he turned over the reins during the bye week.....or the bye bye week for him.

He does not have what it takes. In 100 seasons he still won't have it. If there is a good candidate out there, pull the trigger.

Since you did turn it into a QB thread, it's worth reiterating that Orton - who is not the answer - is better than the woefully inaccurate passer he replaced. Not sure how that reflects poorly on Marrone.

We all know what Orton is. He's been on 5 teams. Orton is playing like he is expected to play. It's not like Marrone developed the guy.

And the guy they invested a 1st round pick on, they decided to pull after 14 games. Why would we ever trust him to pick a qb again?

We all know what Orton is. He's been on 5 teams. Orton is playing like he is expected to play. It's not like Marrone developed the guy.

And the guy they invested a 1st round pick on, they decided to pull after 14 games. Why would we ever trust him to pick a qb again?

There's something to be said for being able to recognize your mistakes and correct them rather than being bull-headed.

It reminds me of a story about an investment guy who hired two teams of investors. One was comprised of reasonably intelligent individuals and the other was comprised of geniuses. Surprisingly, The geniuses performed significantly worse.

When he dug deeper he learned the reason was because the regular guys were willing to recognize their mistakes and make changes. The geniuses were so used to being right that they were unwilling to believe they had made a mistake and stubbornly stuck to their plan even when it wasn't working.

Sometimes it's better to cut your losses.

Let's see: better play calling, better oline play, better run game, better game management and a better sense that he should be the head coach. And of course a winning record. If these things don't happen then he's no different than any other head coach of late. Hopefully Pegula is willing to pay for a proven head coach who actually has legit experience and a plan when the time comes.

He's lucky he won in Detroit because the pitchforks would be out in full force at 2-4.

There's something I like about his old school tactics, however, lately it seems like he is coming a bit unglued.

-Mike Williams and the mysterious 3 tight end sets that he benched him for.

-Mario and 1st team d-line not on the field late with game on line? Obviously gotta stick to the rotation to keep em fresh??

-Most importantly the Hackett problem. It would take seven pages to open that dumpster fire.

Fire him St. Doug or become a martyr.

Sorry, his time is up with me. Way, way to many stupid mistakes made again this season so far. 40 passes a game the last 4 games, and they lost 3 out of 4. Pears at RG, really?

I have no faith this HC could ever take a team to the playoffs. But, lets return to this after they lose to the Vikings or Jets, or both.