Oh Hell, Why Not?: 2015 QBs

The_Dude

The Bills need Jameis to screw up one more time. Maybe in a car with a buddy who is busted for pot maybe speeding. That would do it.

Golson has a very good arm. Obviously athletic, he has made some poor throws this season but he is an intriguing prospect. We will see how the season plays out. If ND do well tonight and end up in the playoffs he may mock in the second round or maybe even first. He will eat the combine and pro days that is for sure.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Assuming you're right, the Bills shouldn't take a QB in the upcoming draft. Orton is more than good enough to get us by for now.

If the other teams do something stupid--such as letting a polished pocket passer fall to us--then that's another kettle of fish. But if there are going to be a bunch of quarterback hungry teams using their first round picks to over-draft people, something can be said for waiting. In 2016 the Bills will once again have a first round pick. And if things play out as you've described, all those quarterback-hungry teams will have (at least temporarily) sated their desire to draft their quarterbacks of the future.

pretty much, which could be great for us.

I couldn't disagree more. Right now the Bills have Orton - who is average-ish and little else at QB (unless delusions of Manuel progressing are still in play). Even if Orton can be good enough in the short term, the Bills still lack at the most important position long term. The time to find the QB of the future is while Orton can hold the fort down and they don't have to be rushed into the line up. And there's no guarantee that the Bills even hit the their pick. Why start looking when they're desperate again and wind up reaching (again)? Look for value in the draft, in free agency and even via trade. Find a guy who can be your FQB, find out if he is or not and repeat until you have him. There's no excuse for not starting this offseason. And don't jump the gun regarding who is going to be available. It's way too early for that except for the likes of Mariota and the like.

I couldn't disagree more. Right now the Bills have Orton - who is average-ish and little else at QB (unless delusions of Manuel progressing are still in play). Even if Orton can be good enough in the short term, the Bills still lack at the most important position long term. The time to find the QB of the future is while Orton can hold the fort down and they don't have to be rushed into the line up. And there's no guarantee that the Bills even hit the their pick. Why start looking when they're desperate again and wind up reaching (again)? Look for value in the draft, in free agency and even via trade. Find a guy who can be your FQB, find out if he is or not and repeat until you have him. There's no excuse for not starting this offseason. And don't jump the gun regarding who is going to be available. It's way too early for that except for the likes of Mariota and the like.

Orton is only 31. He can hold down the fort for several years if need be.

My sense is that going into the 2013 draft, the Bills had decided to take the best QB available. They failed to do that--the best available QB was Glennon--but at least they took the QB they felt was the best one available. The problem with deciding to take a quarterback right away is that you can end up taking one in a very weak QB draft class. As the Bills did with Manuel.

The approach that resulted in EJ Manuel is not the one I want to see them use going into the 2015 draft! :angry: Getting the right quarterback is important. They should be willing to trade away multiple first round picks and players if that's what it takes to get the next franchise QB. But it's not urgent. By that I mean that there is no benefit to taking an "okay" quarterback in 2015 or 2016; as opposed to waiting for the right quarterback in 2017 or 2018. (Though getting the right quarterback isn't just about waiting. It's also about being willing to trade up if need be. TD didn't trade up for Roethlisberger, because he felt Houston's asking price was too high. Instead he chose to save on draft picks by taking Losman instead.)

Orton is averaging over 7 yards per attempt this season. Just as he's done for each of his past five seasons. (Except for the Broncos half of his 2011 season.) To put that into perspective, Fitz generally averaged 6.7 yards per attempt while with the Bills (and never more than 6.8); whereas Tom Brady's career average is 7.4 yards per attempt, and Peyton Manning's is 7.7. There's no sense in drafting a quarterback unless we're reasonably confident he'll be a significant upgrade over what Orton currently has to offer. A QB who turned into a solid starter would (from the Bills' perspective) be a waste of a draft pick, because we have that already in the form of Orton. But if the draft pick became a franchise quarterback, that would represent a significant upgrade over Orton; thereby justifying the draft picks expended. But we might have to wait several years to draft a guy like that; even if we're willing to trade up.

Edited by Orton's Arm

I like Mannion from Oregon State. He is a tall guy (6'5) with a big arm.

He is a bit of a project but he can throw it.

Reminds me a bit of Flacco.

He's the most intriguing one to me. I haven't gotten to watch much of him but from what I've seen he's got a rocket arm and great deep ball accuracy. I'd like to see how he handles pressure.

He's the most intriguing one to me. I haven't gotten to watch much of him but from what I've seen he's got a rocket arm and great deep ball accuracy. I'd like to see how he handles pressure.

i have seen him a lot and I don't like him. Poor accuracy and makes too many bad decisions with the ball. Reminds me of a skinnier, less athletic version of Derek Anderson. Maybe worth a 5th or 6th rounder.

Mannion reminds me of Rivers. I like him a lot. Playing in a pro style system also doesn't hurt. Please, no more athletes who are learning to play QB.

Orton is only 31. He can hold down the fort for several years if need be.

My sense is that going into the 2013 draft, the Bills had decided to take the best QB available. They failed to do that--the best available QB was Glennon--but at least they took the QB they felt was the best one available. The problem with deciding to take a quarterback right away is that you can end up taking one in a very weak QB draft class. As the Bills did with Manuel.

The approach that resulted in EJ Manuel is not the one I want to see them use going into the 2015 draft! :angry: Getting the right quarterback is important. They should be willing to trade away multiple first round picks and players if that's what it takes to get the next franchise QB. But it's not urgent. By that I mean that there is no benefit to taking an "okay" quarterback in 2015 or 2016; as opposed to waiting for the right quarterback in 2017 or 2018. (Though getting the right quarterback isn't just about waiting. It's also about being willing to trade up if need be. TD didn't trade up for Roethlisberger, because he felt Houston's asking price was too high. Instead he chose to save on draft picks by taking Losman instead.)

Orton is averaging over 7 yards per attempt this season. Just as he's done for each of his past five seasons. (Except for the Broncos half of his 2011 season.) To put that into perspective, Fitz generally averaged 6.7 yards per attempt while with the Bills (and never more than 6.8); whereas Tom Brady's career average is 7.4 yards per attempt, and Peyton Manning's is 7.7. There's no sense in drafting a quarterback unless we're reasonably confident he'll be a significant upgrade over what Orton currently has to offer. A QB who turned into a solid starter would (from the Bills' perspective) be a waste of a draft pick, because we have that already in the form of Orton. But if the draft pick became a franchise quarterback, that would represent a significant upgrade over Orton; thereby justifying the draft picks expended. But we might have to wait several years to draft a guy like that; even if we're willing to trade up.

yep

Assuming you're right, the Bills shouldn't take a QB in the upcoming draft. Orton is more than good enough to get us by for now.

If the other teams do something stupid--such as letting a polished pocket passer fall to us--then that's another kettle of fish. But if there are going to be a bunch of quarterback hungry teams using their first round picks to over-draft people, something can be said for waiting. In 2016 the Bills will once again have a first round pick. And if things play out as you've described, all those quarterback-hungry teams will have (at least temporarily) sated their desire to draft their quarterbacks of the future.

That's what I see as the most likely outcome. Moving up from somewhere in RD2 to RD1 will be too costly for a team that already does not have a Rd1 or 4 selection. For better or worse im afraid we're all in on orton-manuel for a few years.

If they get Winston for selling autographs then he might be coming out. Say what you will about him off the field but on the field he's the best in college in a long time

If his lack of intelligence and decision-making off the field is any indication, how do you expect him to pick up ANY NFL offense? No thanks, this schmuck has bad citizen written all over him.

Yep, his off field decision making is horrendous. But he makes good decisions on the field. Don't make the mistake of thinking he's not intelligent. He's got about a 3.2 GPA. He's just immature and seriously needs to grow up. One more mess up that drops him into the second round and I'd be all over it. High risk, huge reward. Blend his talent with EJ's work ethic and maturity and you have a HOF QB.

• 4 weeks later...

I think a trade for Manziel needs to get some serious consideration.

Pettine is familiar with our roster and if losing a defensive or offensive starter plus a draft pick is what it takes then so be it.

Qb is such an important position we need to prioritize fixing it like all hell

I think a trade for Manziel needs to get some serious consideration.

Pettine is familiar with our roster and if losing a defensive or offensive starter plus a draft pick is what it takes then so be it.

Qb is such an important position we need to prioritize fixing it like all hell

This is a possibility IMO. You may trade them something like McKelvin and a 2nd or Robert Woods and a 2nd.

maybe if Winston gets busted for stealing crab legs he falls to the second. he may be a moron but he has game.

But Whaley would have to be canned first because no way does he replace his beloved EJ with his FSU replacement.

Forget EJ. Winston is loking like a disaster, and I am guessing there are at least 10 teams with QB issues that have already written him off. But thanks for playing.