Oh Hell, Why Not?: 2015 QBs

The_Dude

I'm a huge fan of Connor Cook. We wont have a shot at Marriota but we might have a shot at Cook if we're willing to trade up. I LOVE Orton and I think Orton is more than good enough for a few years. If we can't get Cook then we can't, but if we can get Cook I'd be fine with having him on the bench for a couple years.

It's obvious EJ isn't the answer and we need to start looking for that young gun!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No more trading up, it always sets us back.....

Not if you're sold on the QB...and with as little as we've traded up one could argue that not doing it has set us back?

Sean Mannion, Oregon State

I think Cook will probably end up in the top 10-15 of the 1st round.

Sadly I think you're right. Maybe we could plant some weed on him a couple days before the draft to get his stock to dip...I kid, I kid.

Shane Carden-East Carolina University

Senior this year, broke all of ECU/David Garrad's QB records for: single-season passing yards, career touchdown passes, career passing yards and completions in a career.

Put 70 points on UNC this year.

No more trading up, it always sets us back.....

This.

Without any first round pick, the Bills would have to make a Redskins for RG3 type deal to draft a top QB. You just can't do it, there are no sure things. It would be one thing if they were already in the top 10, but they fired that round this year for a WR. They'll have to take a shot at one of the Day 2 QBs.

Sadly I think you're right. Maybe we could plant some weed on him a couple days before the draft to get his stock to dip...I kid, I kid.

Sure worked for Miami back in '83!

Right now I like Connor Cook the most as a potential target in the draft. I think he has a lot of the intangibles but just needs to get coached up and developed for a year.

My second pick would be Sean Mannion.

I want guys that are QBs and not athletes learning to play QB. All the measurables and speed is meaningless if the kid can't see the field or go through reads. Give me kids like Cook or Mannion who look like natural throwers who just need to get coached up some and acclimated to the speed and complexity of the NFL.

Edited by Bangarang

I'm a huge fan of Connor Cook. We wont have a shot at Marriota but we might have a shot at Cook if we're willing to trade up. I LOVE Orton and I think Orton is more than good enough for a few years. If we can't get Cook then we can't, but if we can get Cook I'd be fine with having him on the bench for a couple years.

It's obvious EJ isn't the answer and we need to start looking for that young gun!

You just like guys whose first and last names start with the same letter.

Blake Bortles...

Conner Cooks...

Who's next? Jaquez Johnson?

You just like guys whose first and last names start with the same letter.

Blake Bortles...

Conner Cooks...

Who's next? Jaquez Johnson?

No. Nope. Not me.

And I'll tell you who I hate. Hundley. That guy is horrible. He's being talked about as a 2nd rd QB but I wouldn't touch him before the fifth.

No. Nope. Not me.

And I'll tell you who I hate. Hundley. That guy is horrible. He's being talked about as a 2nd rd QB but I wouldn't touch him before the fifth.

I look at Hundley and EJ as being similar NFL prospects. Look good on a stat sheet but there's an incredible amount of developing needed there. High ceiling but pretty low floor.

No. Nope. Not me.

Me neither. I don't like any of the QBS coming out at this point. I like Bridgewater more than any of them.

I like Cook a lot. I think he'll be a good one as well. But, as others have pointed out, he's going in the top 1/2 of the first round and we don't have the luxury of any first round pick. So, we would have to give up a lot to get up there and to me, it just isn't worth it. None of these guys are Andrew Luck type prospects and I believe that is the only type of QB prospect you trade up for in the top 1/2 of the first round, the sure thing guys.

As I said in another thread, I am really starting to like Dak Prescott in the 2nd round. He is maturing before our eyes this season a la Cam Newton in his final season.

I also believe Mariota will go high, but I'm just not a fan of his for some reason. I really believe he is a product of that system and will have a very difficult time with NFL defenses. Just look at his game logs. He dominates sub-par opponents, but when the tough teams are on the schedule he becomes very pedestrian.

I also am really starting to sour on Hundley and I believe he has played himself out of the first round at this point. It was a mistake on his part to come back this season.

I haven't been able to catch any Oregon State games yet so I can't give a legit opinion on Mannion at this point, but I'm going to go out of my way to check out one of their games soon.

To me, there are two questions that remain unanswered. First, what about Jameis? I mean, the dude can flat out ball and has everything you want on the field in a franchise QB. But, how much do you let the off the field stuff turn you off? If he falls to us in the second, are we all over him? Is he worth the risk? I think he may be, but I freaking hate the guy.

Second, at what point do we start respecting Everett Golson? He plays tough opponents, he wins games, he has shown a big time improvement in his passing skills compared to 2012. Yes, he's only 6'0", but man, I can't help but see some Russell Wilson in this guy and would love to see a 4th or 5th rounder thrown at him.

In summary, my QB desire list:

1. Connor Cook

2. Dak Preskott

3. Jameis Winston

4. Mariota (so low because I don't feel he's worth where he will be picked)

5. Kevin Hogan

6. Brett Hundley

7. Everett Golson

Unknowns as of now: Mannion, Petty, Grayson.

Shane Carden-East Carolina University

Senior this year, broke all of ECU/David Garrad's QB records for: single-season passing yards, career touchdown passes, career passing yards and completions in a career.

Put 70 points on UNC this year.

That's really not saying much! They are terrible.

I like Cook a lot. I think he'll be a good one as well. But, as others have pointed out, he's going in the top 1/2 of the first round and we don't have the luxury of any first round pick. So, we would have to give up a lot to get up there and to me, it just isn't worth it. None of these guys are Andrew Luck type prospects and I believe that is the only type of QB prospect you trade up for in the top 1/2 of the first round, the sure thing guys.

As I said in another thread, I am really starting to like Dak Prescott in the 2nd round. He is maturing before our eyes this season a la Cam Newton in his final season.

I also believe Mariota will go high, but I'm just not a fan of his for some reason. I really believe he is a product of that system and will have a very difficult time with NFL defenses. Just look at his game logs. He dominates sub-par opponents, but when the tough teams are on the schedule he becomes very pedestrian.

I also am really starting to sour on Hundley and I believe he has played himself out of the first round at this point. It was a mistake on his part to come back this season.

I haven't been able to catch any Oregon State games yet so I can't give a legit opinion on Mannion at this point, but I'm going to go out of my way to check out one of their games soon.

To me, there are two questions that remain unanswered. First, what about Jameis? I mean, the dude can flat out ball and has everything you want on the field in a franchise QB. But, how much do you let the off the field stuff turn you off? If he falls to us in the second, are we all over him? Is he worth the risk? I think he may be, but I freaking hate the guy.

Second, at what point do we start respecting Everett Golson? He plays tough opponents, he wins games, he has shown a big time improvement in his passing skills compared to 2012. Yes, he's only 6'0", but man, I can't help but see some Russell Wilson in this guy and would love to see a 4th or 5th rounder thrown at him.

In summary, my QB desire list:

1. Connor Cook

2. Dak Preskott

3. Jameis Winston

4. Mariota (so low because I don't feel he's worth where he will be picked)

5. Kevin Hogan

6. Brett Hundley

7. Everett Golson

Unknowns as of now: Mannion, Petty, Grayson.

That's really not saying much! They are terrible.

As of now, there is a chance Connor cook returns to Sparty next season - but we will have no shot at him if he does enter this years draft

And the rest of those QBs (besides mayyyybeeeee Prescott) do absolutely nothing for me - they all have major major flaws that will seriously prevent them from succeeding as an nfl QB

I am intrigued by Golson but that probably has more to do with me being a Norte dame fan - the kid does rise up to the occasion, I just don't know about his game in the nfl (can his arm make the important throws? Can he make the correct decisions in an nfl offense different from Kelly's at nD?)

As of now, there is a chance Connor cook returns to Sparty next season - but we will have no shot at him if he does enter this years draft

And the rest of those QBs (besides mayyyybeeeee Prescott) do absolutely nothing for me - they all have major major flaws that will seriously prevent them from succeeding as an nfl QB

I am intrigued by Golson but that probably has more to do with me being a Norte dame fan - the kid does rise up to the occasion, I just don't know about his game in the nfl (can his arm make the important throws? Can he make the correct decisions in an nfl offense different from Kelly's at nD?)

I agree with what you said for the most part, but it seems like you are holding out for the next Andrew Luck or something. The thing about that is every QB is going to have some flaws except for one guy every 10 years. You have to take chances on guys and hope you hit on them, hope they can become franchise QBs. It's just a risk / reward type process. Which guys is worth which pick? Obviously a guy like Cook doesn't have as many flaws as someone like Hundley, so he's worth the risk of a first (as of now in my opinion) while Hundley may be worth the risk of the 3rd, but you just don't know if any of these guys are going to "make it" but you can't sit around and wait for the sure thing guys that are once in a generation type prospects (Elway, Manning, Luck).

Edited by Mark80

I agree with what you said for the most part, but it seems like you are holding out for the next Andrew Luck or something. The thing about that is every QB is going to have some flaws except for one guy every 10 years. You have to take chances on guys and hope you hit on them, hope they can become franchise QBs. It's just a risk / reward type process. Which guys is worth which pick? Obviously a guy like Cook doesn't have as many flaws as someone like Hundley, so he's worth the risk of a first (as of now in my opinion) while Hundley may be worth the risk of the 3rd, but you just don't know if any of these guys are going to "make it" but you can't sit around and wait for the sure thing guys that are once in a generation type prospects (Elway, Manning, Luck).

Oh for sure! I'm not holding out hope for a luck / generational guy - that's luck of the draw (bottoming out at the same time that guy comes out) - I agree you need to keep taking chances on finding "the guy" - I just don't personally see them in THIS group ( and were talking 3rd rounders-6th rounders) this year....just my two cents

Connor Cook is from my hometown. Draft him!! I wish OSU had recruited him.