Ebola

Tolstoy

http://www.nationalnursesunited.org/blog/entry/statement-by-registered-nurses-at-texas-health-presbyterian-hospital-in-dal/

This is an inside story from some registered nurses at Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital in Dallas who have familiarity with what occurred at the hospital following the positive Ebola infection of first the late Thomas Eric Duncan and then a registered nurse who cared for him Nina Pham.

The RNs contacted National Nurses United out of frustration with a lack of training and preparation. They are choosing to remain anonymous out of fear of retaliation.

The RNs who have spoken to us from Texas Health Presbyterian are listening in on this call and this is their report based on their experiences and what other nurses are sharing with them. When we have finished with our statement, we will have time for several questions. The nurses will have the opportunity to respond to your questions via email that they will send to us, that we will read to you.

We are not identifying the nurses for their protection, but they work at Texas Health Presbyterian and have knowledge of what occurred at the hospital.

They feel a duty to speak out about the concerns that they say are shared by many in the hospital who are concerned about the protocols that were followed and what they view were confusion and frequently changing policies and protocols that are of concern to them, and to our organization as well.

When Thomas Eric Duncan first came into the hospital, he arrived with an elevated temperature, but was sent home.

On his return visit to the hospital, he was brought in by ambulance under the suspicion from him and family members that he may have Ebola.

Mr. Duncan was left for several hours, not in isolation, in an area where other patients were present.

No one knew what the protocols were or were able to verify what kind of personal protective equipment should be worn and there was no training.

Subsequently a nurse supervisor arrived and demanded that he be moved to an isolation unit– yet faced resistance from other hospital authorities.

Lab specimens from Mr. Duncan were sent through the hospital tube system without being specially sealed and hand delivered. The result is that the entire tube system by which all lab specimens are sent was potentially contaminated.

There was no advance preparedness on what to do with the patient, there was no protocol, there was no system. The nurses were asked to call the Infectious Disease Department.

See more at the link.

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2014/10/18/report-obama-planning-to-bring-ebolainfected-foreigners-to-us-for-treatment-n1906958

Judicial Watch has learned that the Obama administration is actively formulating plans to admit Ebola-infected non-U.S. citizens into the United States for treatment. Specifically, the goal of the administration is to bring Ebola patients into the United States for treatment within the first days of diagnosis.

It is unclear who would bear the high costs of transporting and treating non-citizen Ebola patients. The plans include special waivers of laws and regulations that ban the admission of non-citizens with a communicable disease as dangerous as Ebola.

One source tells us that the Obama administration is keeping this plan secret from Congress. The source is concerned that the proposal is illegal; endangers the public health and welfare; and should require the approval of Congress.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not all vomiting is preceded by nausea. I can't take the Metro, because I get motion sickness, with little warning. A few months ago, my wife was vomiting blood without any warning...turned out it was ulcers (now, of course, she'd be not just quarantined, but probably euthanized "just to be safe.") It happens.

Okay... Ooops, insensitive of me for not excusing involuntary puke. You're right, I should have just skipped to the euthanasia!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Okay... Ooops, insensitive of me for not excusing involuntary puke. You're right, I should have just skipped to the euthanasia!

What about the youth in our country? Don't forget to tip your waitress.

I'm in India right now. I should have a ban placed on my return immediately. There's no ebola but no doubt they have things that can spread faster.

Think about it. The US government and infrastructure looks like a Swiss watch of efficiency compared to what they have here. And despite ebola being in all the headlines in every US paper, people in India are taking it as just another day. Sure, some people may did but it's not that big of a deal.

Edited by John Adams

I'm in India right now. I should have a ban placed on my return immediately. There's no ebola but no doubt they have things that can spread faster.

Think about it. The US government and infrastructure looks like a Swiss watch of efficiency compared to what they have here. And despite ebola being in all the headlines in every US paper, people in India are taking it as just another day. Sure, some people may did but it's not that big of a deal.

Don't worry. I am online petitioning the State Department to ban you from returning. :nana: :nana:

I swear, I read "I'm in Indiana right now." and your story was even more interesting before I re-read it.

eBola is this year's "Jaws".

http://youtu.be/hUB44ltVJCA

Has there even been a single case of Ebola in India? As far as I know, there hasn't been. If there is, you'll see their tune change immediately.

[quote name='3rdnlng' timestamp='1413687850'

http://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2014/10/18/report-obama-planning-to-bring-ebolainfected-foreigners-to-us-for-treatment-n1906958[/size][/font][/color]

Judicial Watch has learned that the Obama administration is actively formulating plans to admit Ebola-infected non-U.S. citizens

One source tells us that the Obama administration is keeping this plan secret

Please tell me you don't really believe this....

Edited by baskin

YEP: The Democrats’ embarrassing attempt to blame Republicans for Ebola collapses.

NIH Director Collins is going to regret raising this issue, too, because it’s brought a lot of attention to the stuff that the NIH spends money on.

JOEL ZINBERG: Ebola And Electronic Medical Records. “Hospitals and physicians are being required to buy EMRs that are expensive and difficult to use, and that often interfere with quality care rather than enhance it.”

Orwellian whitewash: CDC deletes faulty Ebola guidelines poster.

I read NYC has Ebola now.

And it seems it is because some dopey doctor got sick and maybe forgot he had just been carrying dead bodies around Africa? So what the heck...power through on the Subway and don't miss the bowling league. We're tied for fourth with Kent's Kegglers.

Homeless people in NYC puke and **** all the time. The Ebola panic is gonna be outta this world.

You can't really blame the doc though. It was the quarterly place rounds in his bowling league and being tied for 4th with Kent's Kegglers meant the winner probably moved up to 3rd while the loser would be languishing in 5th....maybe even 6th. Who wants to listen to Kent brag for yet another year? And just because he was feeling "out of sorts" before he got on the subway shouldn't have raised any flags.

You know what should have raised some flags?

The fact that he had recently been carrying dead bodies all over Africa, that's what.

Edited by 4merper4mer

Homeless people in NYC puke and **** all the time. The Ebola panic is gonna be outta this world.

I have this vision of Obama watching the news saying, "New York City. Why did it have to be New York City?"

You're taking a virus whose greatest threat right now is creating panic, and you're sticking it in the largest US city, where anyone can already see the levels of panic increasing 10-fold in their social media timelines.

But hey...all is well. You can't get Ebola from a bowling ball, anyway.

I have this vision of Obama watching the news saying, "New York City. Why did it have to be New York City?"

You're taking a virus whose greatest threat right now is creating panic, and you're sticking it in the largest US city, where anyone can already see the levels of panic increasing 10-fold in their social media timelines.

But hey...all is well. You can't get Ebola from a bowling ball, anyway.

At least, not until the bowling ball has a fever.

Ebola and the wet-dry distinction:

From the excellent New Yorker article "The Ebola Wars":

There are two distinct ways a virus can travel in the air. In what’s known as droplet infection, the virus can travel inside droplets of fluid released into the air when, for example, a person coughs. The droplets travel only a few feet and soon fall to the ground. The other way a virus can go into the air is through what is called airborne transmission. In this mode, the virus is carried aloft in tiny droplets that dry out, leaving dust motes, which can float long distances, can remain infective for hours or days, and can be inhaled into the lungs. Particles of measles virus can do this, and have been observed to travel half the length of an enclosed football stadium. Ebola may well be able to infect people through droplets, but there’s no evidence that it infects people by drying out or getting into the lungs on dust particles. In 1989, a virus known today as Reston, which is a filovirus related to Ebola, erupted in a building full of monkeys in Reston, Virginia, and travelled from cage to cage. One possible way, never proved, is that the virus particles hitched rides in mist driven into the air by high-pressure spray hoses used to clean the cages, and then circulated in the building’s air system. A rule of thumb among Ebola experts is that, if you are not wearing biohazard gear, you should stand at least six feet away from an Ebola patient, as a precaution against flying droplets.

Did you understand that wet/dry was the relevant distinction in the communicability of ebola?

Do you think this distinction has been effectively, clearly, and honestly conveyed by the various experts and officials who are trying to keep us informed and at the right level of vigilance?

I sure don't.

There are two distinct ways a virus can travel in the air. In what’s known as droplet infection, the virus can travel inside droplets of fluid released into the air when, for example, a person coughs. The droplets travel only a few feet and soon fall to the ground. The other way a virus can go into the air is through what is called airborne transmission. In this mode, the virus is carried aloft in tiny droplets that dry out, leaving dust motes, which can float long distances, can remain infective for hours or days, and can be inhaled into the lungs. Particles of measles virus can do this, and have been observed to travel half the length of an enclosed football stadium. Ebola may well be able to infect people through droplets, but there’s no evidence that it infects people by drying out or getting into the lungs on dust particles. In 1989, a virus known today as Reston, which is a filovirus related to Ebola, erupted in a building full of monkeys in Reston, Virginia, and travelled from cage to cage. One possible way, never proved, is that the virus particles hitched rides in mist driven into the air by high-pressure spray hoses used to clean the cages, and then circulated in the building’s air system. A rule of thumb among Ebola experts is that, if you are not wearing biohazard gear, you should stand at least six feet away from an Ebola patient, as a precaution against flying droplets.

Did you understand that wet/dry was the relevant distinction in the communicability of ebola?

Do you think this distinction has been effectively, clearly, and honestly conveyed by the various experts and officials who are trying to keep us informed and at the right level of vigilance?

I sure don't.

Does this writer have stock in a biohazard gear company?

Of course we should be concerned about Ebola in New York. If Ebola can make it there, it can make it anywhere.

There are now more people on CNN talking about Ebola in the U.S.,

than those who have Ebola in the U.S.

B0rO0tzIMAAIKZC.jpg

I sure don't.

It definitely hasn't.

But here's a much better and more confusing article: http://www.medscape.com/viewarticle/741245_3. Bottom line: disease transmission doesn't fit into nice, little, prepackaged definitions. But nonetheless, Ebola isn't transmitted by air.