Ebola

Tolstoy

So, as I write this, apparently a second case of the Ebola virus has been diagnosed in Dallas, and a patient in Boston is quarantined with a possible case of the virus. What I can't figure out is why we haven't enacted a travel ban to and from countries in Africa with an outbreak of the Ebola virus. Yes, yes, I understand that this causes a huge inconvenience for people with families in the area, or for US citizens in these countries, but isn't the threat of an outbreak of the disease in the USA sufficient reason to take this extreme measure? Why hasn't Obama done this already???

Edited by Tolstoy

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, as I write this, apparently a second case of the Ebola virus has been diagnosed in Dallas, and a patient in Boston is quarantined with a possible case of the virus. What I can't figure out is why we haven't enacted a travel ban to and from countries in Africa with an outbreak of the Ebola virus. Yes, yes, I understand that this causes a huge inconvenience for people with families in the area, or for US citizens in these countries, but isn't the threat of an outbreak of the disease in the USA sufficient reason to take this extreme measure? Why hasn't Obama done this already???

1) Because international air travel doesn't work that way. Duncan flew to the US via Brussels...should we institute an air travel ban for Belgium, too? How about England, since lots of flights connect through Heathrow? Or the Netherlands? How many countries do we have to institute a travel ban for, for it to work?

2) The threat is becoming very over-sensationalized. Ebola does not spread easily. I'll let you look up why and how that is, since you won't believe me...but I will point out that even double the confirmed 8000 cases and 4000 deaths in six months is NOT a highly transmissible disease. Travel bans are serious overkill for a minimal threat.

3) If you're going to blame Obama for this, take it to PPP so I can abuse you properly.

they want to be pc about it.

I think Obama is Ebola. Seriously, have you ever seen them both in the same room?

On a *slightly* more serious note, did anyone ever see Obama and Michael Jackson in the same room together? I mean, before MJ conveniently died a couple months after Obama took office

I'm just saying...

:P

On a *slightly* more serious note, did anyone ever see Obama and Michael Jackson in the same room together? I mean, before MJ conveniently died a couple months after Obama took office

I'm just saying...

:P

Complete non sequitur:

The day MJ died, I was working on the set of a comedy series. Big shooting day, doing a live event at a civic center with a bunch of MMA guys and Sugar Ray Leonard. The news of MJ's death spread fast on set, and one of the guys in the production starts cracking off MJ jokes -- hilarious ones that had the whole place howling.

Except Leonard. At the time, we all kind of forgot Leonard and MJ were really close, he had just had lunch with him the day before, and here this one comic was just going off on MJ for a solid ten minutes before he noticed. It was an awkward end to the day, let's just leave it at that. I still cringe when I think about it, felt really bad for Leonard... and the poor comic who had no idea.

can you guarantee me Ebola won't mutate and go airborne, please?

how would it 'mutate and go airborne'? does that process require a catalyst and is this a common thing with viruses?

Edited by Azalin

Love those things. It's like people completely forget about "The Hot Zone" or that there was a fairly popular movie made about Ebola that came out in 1995.

There's an even better one that links it to the Texas State Fair. But my current favorite is that Ebola itself is a hoax: no one's gotten sick or died, "they" are just playing with the statistics to make normal deaths in Africa look like an epidemic, so "they" can vaccinate everyone with a fake vaccine against the fake disease to discredit an upcoming "vaccines cause autism" paper. It's the kind of retarded theory that JtSP would insist we have to keep an open mind about, because...pot!

But you want to think of something scary? There have been two US cases so far...and five thousand "false alarms" since the first case. That's because the initial presentation of Ebola is identical to the initial presentation of any other viral infection.

I repeat: the initial presentation of Ebola is identical to the initial presentation of any other viral infection.

And flu season is coming.

There's an even better one that links it to the Texas State Fair. But my current favorite is that Ebola itself is a hoax: no one's gotten sick or died, "they" are just playing with the statistics to make normal deaths in Africa look like an epidemic, so "they" can vaccinate everyone with a fake vaccine against the fake disease to discredit an upcoming "vaccines cause autism" paper. It's the kind of retarded theory that JtSP would insist we have to keep an open mind about, because...pot!

But you want to think of something scary? There have been two US cases so far...and five thousand "false alarms" since the first case. That's because the initial presentation of Ebola is identical to the initial presentation of any other viral infection.

I repeat: the initial presentation of Ebola is identical to the initial presentation of any other viral infection.

And flu season is coming.

I hadn't considered that... CNN must be drooling at the thought of that.