Ebola

Tolstoy

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1) Because international air travel doesn't work that way. Duncan flew to the US via Brussels...should we institute an air travel ban for Belgium, too? How about England, since lots of flights connect through Heathrow? Or the Netherlands? How many countries do we have to institute a travel ban for, for it to work?

I think a passport would identify the country of origin of any traveler regardless of connecting flights.

NBC News is reporting now that the second Ebola patient in Texas flew back and forth to Cleveland a couple of days ago.

I recognize that the odds of an outbreak in the US is virtually non-existent, but the constant drip-drip of stories like this is really messing with the nation's psyche....not to mention Obama's fundraising and tee times.

NBC News is reporting now that the second Ebola patient in Texas flew back and forth to Cleveland a couple of days ago.

I recognize that the odds of an outbreak in the US is virtually non-existent, but the constant drip-drip of stories like this is really messing with the nation's psyche....not to mention Obama's fundraising and tee times.

Cleveland you say? Not a problem, the people there already have the anti-bodies in them... It's called the Cuyahoga River or the "Ebola River of the West." Ever go to a Browns game? Fans hemorrhage from every bodily opening. Not a pretty sight!

Cleveland you say? Not a problem, the people there already have the anti-bodies in them... It's called the Cuyahoga River or the "Ebola River of the West." Ever go to a Browns game? Fans hemorrhage from every bodily opening. Not a pretty sight!

On a side note, Cleveland's changed alot in the 25 years or so since that movie was made. Buffalo on the other hand looks pretty much the same as it did a quarter century ago.

Ebola scare closes two schools in Cleveland....

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/10/16/schools-cancel-classes-ebola_n_5994626.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

....the scare is that a school staffer (who is not sick) flew on a plane previously flown on by a Dallas Ebola nurse. :blink:

CNN must be ejaculating all over this story today.

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000592

....the scare is that a school staffer (who is not sick) flew on a plane previously flown on by a Dallas Ebola nurse. :blink:

three schools in Belton, TX (not far from Waco) are also closed for similar reasons:

http://kxan.com/2014/10/16/central-texas-schools-close-to-disinfect-as-ebola-precaution/

three schools in Belton, TX (not far from Waco) are also closed for similar reasons:

http://kxan.com/2014...ola-precaution/

There's no mystery as to how Ebola is transmitted, or what's needed to stop an outbreak. And the means to stop outbreaks is very effective - since 1977, most outbreaks are stopped in their tracks (the exceptions being Kikwit and this Guinea outbreak.) The methods are so effective that no one even heard about the other outbreak this summer (Congo), since it's nearly contained. In the past two years there've been three other outbreaks - two in Uganda, one other in Congo - that were limited to less than a dozen cases each. That's how effective the containment methods are.

Last I checked, closing schools for a day and decontaminating an airplane FIVE times were not part of those containment methods.

http://www.huffingto...kusaolp00000592

It's freaking crazy. Facebook is suddenly filled with "I know someone who went to school with someone who flew into Cleveland the same day as the girl who has Ebola!"

I got a kick out of Dennis Miller's comment: "I wasn't worried about it until I heard Barack Obama actually cancelled a fundraiser because of it."

It's freaking crazy. Facebook is suddenly filled with "I know someone who went to school with someone who flew into Cleveland the same day as the girl who has Ebola!"

I got a kick out of Dennis Miller's comment: "I wasn't worried about it until I heard Barack Obama actually cancelled a fundraiser because of it."

For once, I actually intend to watch CSPAN, and watch the ignorant Congresscritters completely freak out while questioning the directors of NIH and CDC.

For once, I actually intend to watch CSPAN, and watch the ignorant Congresscritters completely freak out while questioning the directors of NIH and CDC.

It's really unfortunate we, as a country, appear so ill-prepared for something like this.

That's not to say we ARE ill-prepared. We just look completely and utterly incompetent right now. And this isn't a "blame Obama" thing because anyone paying attention knows he's not smart enough to either know what to do, or even to listen to what to do.

But how does a hospital not have protocol? How does the CDC tell a person -- a sick nurse who treated the one American who died of this virus -- that it's okay to get on a plane to Cleveland while she has a fever?

Beyond being embarrassing, it completely feeds into the hysteria, which isn't driven by the virus as much as it's driven by the fact that virtually no one in charge seems to have a clue. The only sound bite we have is Obama saying it won't come to America and it can't be spread by casual contact.

So I think the hysteria is somewhat justified.

It's really unfortunate we, as a country, appear so ill-prepared for something like this.

That's not to say we ARE ill-prepared. We just look completely and utterly incompetent right now. And this isn't a "blame Obama" thing because anyone paying attention knows he's not smart enough to either know what to do, or even to listen to what to do.

But how does a hospital not have protocol? How does the CDC tell a person -- a sick nurse who treated the one American who died of this virus -- that it's okay to get on a plane to Cleveland while she has a fever?

Beyond being embarrassing, it completely feeds into the hysteria, which isn't driven by the virus as much as it's driven by the fact that virtually no one in charge seems to have a clue. The only sound bite we have is Obama saying it won't come to America and it can't be spread by casual contact.

So I think the hysteria is somewhat justified.

That's because nobody is in charge. Cases within the US would be handled at the state and local level, which means you'd get a myriad of "protocols" and "guidance." And state and local authorities more likely than not have to request federal help; the federal government can't just insert itself into a state/local procedure (e.g. New Orleans after Katrina).

It's actually easier to consistently treat people who get infected overseas and are shipped back here - since it's an international issue, that's by necessity handled at the national level, so there is someone in charge.

Last I checked, closing schools for a day and decontaminating an airplane FIVE times were not part of those containment methods.

I would imagine that you're absolutely correct about that, but not having any kind of real knowledge of viral pathogens, like most people, I only know what I'm told. what we're being told is not consistent - first, the CDC says that the incubation period for Ebola is 21 days and you need to be in direct contact to catch it. then they say that the incubation period is actually closer to 45 days, and that 'direct contact' is defined as being within 3 feet of the patient. it's not surprising to me at all that people are frightened, especially when it's reported that another person has not only contracted the disease, but has also flown on a commercial airline. I have faith in our potential to control the spread of Ebola in general, but the supposed experts make it very difficult for me to have any faith in them specifically.

Edited by Azalin