Ebola

Tolstoy

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NICK GILLESPIE: A PROBLEM WITH THE DEMOCRATS’ EFFORT TO BLAME REPUBLICANS FOR EBOLA:

The report notes that “Pandemic Preparedness funding through the GHP account totaled $50 million, a decrease of $22.5 million (-31%) below FY14.” Let’s stipulate two things. First, $50 million is both a lot of money and not a lot of money in terms of federal spending. I doubt anyone seriously thinks that spending more in the year to come would have stopped Ebola outbreaks that began in fiscal 2014.

Second, the requested decrease is in President Obama’s budget. Is he a Republican now?

If that’s what it takes to win, sure.

And, finally:

If we were living on such thin ice that the difference between sequestration (the president’s idea, just saying) and non-sequestration is the difference between life and death or Ebola and health, we’re screwed anyway.

I can understand why Democrats are trying to turn the Ebola outbreak here and abroad into a campaign issue. But that sort of gambit is more likely to draw attention to the failure and incompetency of public health bureaucrats here and abroad. That’s probably not good for Democrats, given that they run the White House and the agencies in question.

Yeah, its funny that the GOP controls one half of one third of the government, but somehow everything bad is their fault.

Why do some people get so defensive. When they made the comment about "protocol breach" I never thought that he was blaming the nurse! Jeesh... @ least he apologized to the one's w/fragile sensibilities out there:

"...That sentiment also prompted Frieden to apologize Monday for remarks he made immediately after Pham’s infection was announced. He said over the weekend that “a breach in protocol resulted in this infection,” a remark that some people interpreted as faulting the nurse.

“That was certainly not my intention. People on the front lines are really protecting all of us,” Frieden said. “The enemy here is a virus, Ebola. It’s not a person. It’s not a country. It’s not a place. It’s not a hospital. It’s a virus. It’s a virus that’s tough to fight.”..."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

Why do some people get so defensive. When they made the comment about "protocol breach" I never thought that he was blaming the nurse! Jeesh... @ least he apologized to the one's w/fragile sensibilities out there:

"...That sentiment also prompted Frieden to apologize Monday for remarks he made immediately after Pham’s infection was announced. He said over the weekend that “a breach in protocol resulted in this infection,” a remark that some people interpreted as faulting the nurse.

“That was certainly not my intention. People on the front lines are really protecting all of us,” Frieden said. “The enemy here is a virus, Ebola. It’s not a person. It’s not a country. It’s not a place. It’s not a hospital. It’s a virus. It’s a virus that’s tough to fight.”..."

Um, that's exactly what he was doing. If a nurse breaks protocol, that's her fault. Breaking protocol in medicine is a big no-no, as you can imagine.

If a nurse breaks protocol, that's her fault.

I don't think it is that cut and dry. I took his comments as her not knowing the proper protocol or following it wrongly because she was misinformed or not trained well enough. That's not her fault. We all know the way things are mainly managed, the people on the front-lines tend to get neglected. Some work cultures may be worse than others... Style of management... Etc... Nobody is going to break PROPER protocol and infect themselves with Ebola for any types of reason be it convenience, neglect, laziness, etc.. Well, I certainly hope not!

Now... I read somewhere that she was tracking her temp. Who the heck does that without a suspicion. Did she supect that she may have come into contact? Make a mistake/error? Or is that just normal since she knew the paitient had Ebola and died from it.

Anyway, glad she was on top of it!

There's an even better one that links it to the Texas State Fair. But my current favorite is that Ebola itself is a hoax: no one's gotten sick or died, "they" are just playing with the statistics to make normal deaths in Africa look like an epidemic, so "they" can vaccinate everyone with a fake vaccine against the fake disease to discredit an upcoming "vaccines cause autism" paper. It's the kind of retarded theory that JtSP would insist we have to keep an open mind about, because...pot!

But you want to think of something scary? There have been two US cases so far...and five thousand "false alarms" since the first case. That's because the initial presentation of Ebola is identical to the initial presentation of any other viral infection.

I repeat: the initial presentation of Ebola is identical to the initial presentation of any other viral infection.

And flu season is coming.

I was sick when I got home from work yesterday. This prompted my wife to start researching the symptoms of ebola. God I love mass panic.

I don't think it is that cut and dry. I took his comments as her not knowing the proper protocol or following it wrongly because she was misinformed or not trained well enough. That's not her fault. We all know the way things are mainly managed, the people on the front-lines tend to get neglected. Some work cultures may be worse than others... Style of management... Etc... Nobody is going to break PROPER protocol and infect themselves with Ebola for any types of reason be it convenience, neglect, laziness, etc.. Well, I certainly hope not!

Now... I read somewhere that she was tracking her temp. Who the heck does that without a suspicion. Did she supect that she may have come into contact? Make a mistake/error? Or is that just normal since she knew the paitient had Ebola and died from it.

Anyway, glad she was on top of it!

Having worked in a training center at a Nuclear plant that taught how to dress and undress going in and out of a contaminated area, I can tell you even after extensive training mistakes are made when students are drilled on it.

Taking off multiple hand protection is where the mistakes normally occurred.

The thing is, "breaking protocol" in that case is shockingly easy. You have to be attentive to every single move you make. By way of example: for the next two hours, don't touch your face.

I guarantee you'll fail (most of you will touch your face within five minutes of reading this). And that's just ONE of the multitude of minutiae a nurse in an isolation facility has to pay close attention to. It's the reason nursing shifts for Ebola patients are short: the attention to detail itself is exhausting.

It's normal. Any health care worker who's treated an Ebola patient is going to take their temperature twice a day.

Having worked in a training center at a Nuclear plant that taught how to dress and undress going in and out of a contaminated area, I can tell you even after extensive training mistakes are made when students are drilled on it.

It scares me that you've been around anything more dangerous than safety scissors.

The thing is, "breaking protocol" in that case is shockingly easy. You have to be attentive to every single move you make. By way of example: for the next two hours, don't touch your face.

I guarantee you'll fail (most of you will touch your face within five minutes of reading this). And that's just ONE of the multitude of minutiae a nurse in an isolation facility has to pay close attention to. It's the reason nursing shifts for Ebola patients are short: the attention to detail itself is exhausting.

It's normal. Any health care worker who's treated an Ebola patient is going to take their temperature twice a day.

It scares me that you've been around anything more dangerous than safety scissors.

Safer with me in the training center then in the Nuke plant though eh?

teaching the idiot know it all's like you how to stay protected :nana:

Safer with me in the training center then in the Nuke plant though eh?

I don't know...you in a nuke plant, you're responsible for your own stupidity. In a training center...now you're spreading it around. :P

teaching the idiot know it all's like you how to stay protected :nana:

I've spent time in a nuclear lab. Of course, the sole extent of my safety training was a 60-year old professor telling us "Don't do what I do" while he carried gamma sources in his pockets.

We kept the safety scissors away from him.

I don't know...you in a nuke plant, you're responsible for your own stupidity. In a training center...now you're spreading it around. :P

I've spent time in a nuclear lab. Of course, the sole extent of my safety training was a 60-year old professor telling us "Don't do what I do" while he carried gamma sources in his pockets.

We kept the safety scissors away from him.

:D

I agree with DCTom and DD... That's why I asked... I can't understand why they got so butt hurt when he first made his comments. I found nothing offensive in those comments. Obsessive complusive is not even the word. Mistakes are so easily made. Like Tom said about touching your face within seconds of reading a post... Almost all will fail. It's exhausting!

Nobody's perfect and mistakes in protocol are made... What's the problem calling it out? One has to be almost complusively perfect.... That's very hard. I understand. I view it as contsructive criticsm. One MUST strive for perfection!

That's where I figured...

It's amazing anybody gets it right in the land of diminishing standards! Even worse with the younger generations, where rules and whatever can just be fudged through...

I am glad I work @ a lock and dam... 19th Century tech and speed in the 21st Century.... Even with that game being incredibly slow... Peopl still screw up w/safety!

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

1) Because international air travel doesn't work that way. Duncan flew to the US via Brussels...should we institute an air travel ban for Belgium, too? How about England, since lots of flights connect through Heathrow? Or the Netherlands? How many countries do we have to institute a travel ban for, for it to work?

2) The threat is becoming very over-sensationalized. Ebola does not spread easily. I'll let you look up why and how that is, since you won't believe me...but I will point out that even double the confirmed 8000 cases and 4000 deaths in six months is NOT a highly transmissible disease. Travel bans are serious overkill for a minimal threat.

3) If you're going to blame Obama for this, take it to PPP so I can abuse you properly.

Market fluctuations.

Ebola.

Unrest in the middle east.

Russians.

Volcanos.

...You know where this is headed...

Odds of any of the following by 2012:

War in Israel/Iran/Syria/Lebanon (chemical, bio or nukes used) (1-1)

War in Pakistan with thousands of US forces (3-1)

Russian invasion of Baltics and possible US staredown (2-1)

Terrorist attack in the US much bigger than 9/11 (1-1)

China moves on Taiwan (6-1)

Flu/Viral Pandemic (10-1)

Continued increase in major earthquakes in US and World (1-1)

Possible meteor strike or solar event much beyond normal (10-1)

Financial market closure for multiple days (1-1)

Default of COMEX as gold is taken in physical delivery (3-1)

A new monitary unit used in the US in place of or conjunction with the dollar (3-1)

Bank Holiday (2-1)

Civil Unrest and Domestic troops on ground in multiple cities (4-1)

Institution of Military draft in US (6-1)

Institution of forced civil service in US (3-1)

The odds of all that happening is close to 1 billion to 1.......even at odds that are much reduced from what anyone else would probably put them at. Most of these are probably 100-1 or 1,000,000-1 shots in people's minds anyway.

My odds say 4 or 5 of these events happen in the next 4 years. We shall see. And as future reference, the end times will take 7 years to play out. If we usher them in this year.....you have until 2015 for the final battle. 2012 would put us at the midpoint where the Antichrist is at his peak power.

Market fluctuations.

Ebola.

Unrest in the middle east.

Russians.

Volcanos.

...You know where this is headed...

Odds of any of the following by 2012:

War in Israel/Iran/Syria/Lebanon (chemical, bio or nukes used) (1-1)

War in Pakistan with thousands of US forces (3-1)

Russian invasion of Baltics and possible US staredown (2-1)

Terrorist attack in the US much bigger than 9/11 (1-1)

China moves on Taiwan (6-1)

Flu/Viral Pandemic (10-1)

Continued increase in major earthquakes in US and World (1-1)

Possible meteor strike or solar event much beyond normal (10-1)

Financial market closure for multiple days (1-1)

Default of COMEX as gold is taken in physical delivery (3-1)

A new monitary unit used in the US in place of or conjunction with the dollar (3-1)

Bank Holiday (2-1)

Civil Unrest and Domestic troops on ground in multiple cities (4-1)

Institution of Military draft in US (6-1)

Institution of forced civil service in US (3-1)

The odds of all that happening is close to 1 billion to 1.......even at odds that are much reduced from what anyone else would probably put them at. Most of these are probably 100-1 or 1,000,000-1 shots in people's minds anyway.

My odds say 4 or 5 of these events happen in the next 4 years. We shall see. And as future reference, the end times will take 7 years to play out. If we usher them in this year.....you have until 2015 for the final battle. 2012 would put us at the midpoint where the Antichrist is at his peak power.

:lol: Good times...

Did he ever get charged with insider trading?

He's on the Sabres board.

To his credit, last year and said he went a little overboard in his predictions. There was a funny moment over there where the Sabres board members started defending him "He's nuts but he's our nut--please leave your TBD business over there." I totally respected that.

Edited by John Adams

No.

I also can't guarantee you're not going to get hit by a meteorite, or mauled to death by a honey badger. So be sure to panic over those, too.

Has LSU named their Honey Badger for 2014 yet? I know they kind of stink but I would think they'd still have one.

He's on the Sabres board.

To his credit, last year and said he went a little overboard in his predictions. There was a funny moment over there where the Sabres board members started defending him "He's nuts but he's our nut--please leave your TBD business over there." I totally respected that.

When did that ever happen? Deluca kind of gets that treatment over there, but not him. I've only ever seen two people defend him and they're just people who like to ruffle feathers.