Ebola

Tolstoy

There's a difference between "vigilant" and "paranoid." You're pretty much crossing it.

Not my analogy; the initial guidance for protective measures, way-back-when when Ebola really was an enigma, was basically "act like it's hepatitis." The manner of transmission and relative risk to different populations is roughly similar between the two, including health care workers being at higher risk, which is why I specifically made the comparison.

bs. i'm condensing what little is known and the possible consequences. it doesn't require sensationalizing to be concerned about potentially dire consequences. many would describe them as dire already in affected areas.

3.2 million americans. that's the analogy. i don't think we even remotely approach that with ebola but no one knows. and the mortality from hep c is less than 5% from liver failure/hepatoma. much higher with ebola, currently. that's a significant distinction. at any rate, let's hope the analogy was terribly inaccurate.

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FYI, "21 days" is the 95% confidence interval - 95% of the people who would come down with the disease will do so in 21 days or less. 42 days equates to 98%, and is the amount of time that has to elapse without a diagnose case of Ebola before the WHO will declare an epidemic over.

The important thing being that the numbers are statistical, not deterministic (the incubation for rabies can be as short as a week, or as long as three years, for example). Therein lies the confusion: it's not possible to give a definitive answer, and Americans do not handle probabilities well at all (or any measure less than 100%). The CDC's message is screwed up...but I don't blame them, as they're a product of the warped culture they work for.

I'm not disagreeing. again, I know jack **** about this, except for what I hear....and most of what I hear, I don't trust. probabilities and warped culture aside, you must admit that it's easy to see why people would be frightened at the chance, remote as that chance may be, that they might wind up with a 104 degree fever and bleeding to death out their @ss.

1) Because international air travel doesn't work that way. Duncan flew to the US via Brussels...should we institute an air travel ban for Belgium, too? How about England, since lots of flights connect through Heathrow? Or the Netherlands? How many countries do we have to institute a travel ban for, for it to work?

Looks like some 3rd world countries can do what the US cannot.

http://www.newsmax.com/TheWire/ebola-travel-ban/2014/10/16/id/601025/

I'm not disagreeing. again, I know jack **** about this, except for what I hear....and most of what I hear, I don't trust. probabilities and warped culture aside, you must admit that it's easy to see why people would be frightened at the chance, remote as that chance may be, that they might wind up with a 104 degree fever and bleeding to death out their @ss.

Given how the stock market did the last few days I'm sure many already know that feeling.

bs. i'm condensing what little is known and the possible consequences. it doesn't require sensationalizing to be concerned about potentially dire consequences. many would describe them as dire already in affected areas.

3.2 million americans. that's the analogy. i don't think we even remotely approach that with ebola but no one knows. and the mortality from hep c is less than 5% from liver failure/hepatoma. much higher with ebola, currently. that's a significant distinction. at any rate, let's hope the analogy was terribly inaccurate.

I'll decide what my analogy means, and whether or not you understand it.

Which you clearly don't. Frankly, you're one of the more ignorant people I've seen try to discuss the subject. Big surprise there.

Given how the stock market did the last few days I'm sure many already know that feeling.

yeah, the fear is totally irrational. the money folks have no access to information. (although when a vaccine is developed the elite ones will have first access to it) Edited by birdog1960

yeah, the fear is totally irrational. the money folks have no access to information. (although when a vaccine is developed the elite ones will have first access to it)

So now that the market is back up again, does that mean we shouldn't be scared or are they being irrational?

Good news: Barack Obama hired an Ebola Czar.

Bad news; it's the same guy who told him Solyndra looked like a good place for a campaign stop.

That's just what the WH needs heading into the mid-terms: people talking about Solyndra again. :lol:

Yeah, how predictable is it that Obama would appoint and unqualified political pawn to an important position.

Hey, we elected a guy who had no qualifications president. Why not an "Ebola czar"?

The qualifications for "Ebola czar" are less medical than they are managerial. At that level, it's largely a problem of resource management.

Although some public health knowledge would be nice...but then, must public health officials in this country couldn't define "public health" to begin with, so it hardly matters.

The qualifications for "Ebola czar" are less medical than they are managerial. At that level, it's largely a problem of resource management.

Although some public health knowledge would be nice...but then, must public health officials in this country couldn't define "public health" to begin with, so it hardly matters.

The problem with medicine is too many people without any medical training making decisions. I'm sure there was someone more qualified than Klain who could be a manager and had a medical background.

I am reading some of these Ebola stories... Are people really this out of control, even after some of the slip ups. You gotta be kidding. I must be grossly overestimating Americans (again). The Pentagon story is hysterical. The school in Ohio... People feeling sick and thinking it is Ebola? You gotta be kidding?

I guess Mexico or Belize wouldn't let the cruise ship into port? I guess they really haven't learned what Ebola is all about.

Panic @ the disco! LoL...

Wow, just wow! Sorry... Had to use that phrase... It pisses JiA off.

;-P

The problem with medicine is too many people without any medical training making decisions. I'm sure there was someone more qualified than Klain who could be a manager and had a medical background.

Yeah, true. But there is where the double-edge sword is. Gotta have a guy that is a "salesman too" for the idiot masses out there.

I am reading some of these Ebola stories... Are people really this out of control, even after some of the slip ups. You gotta be kidding. I must be grossly overestimating Americans (again). The Pentagon story is hysterical. The school in Ohio... People feeling sick and thinking it is Ebola? You gotta be kidding?

I guess Mexico or Belize wouldn't let the cruise ship into port? I guess they really haven't learned what Ebola is all about.

I talked to someone from Nigeria the other day, and I've had a splitting headache all day today. I'm sure, if I went to the hospital, I'd be quarantined.

That Pentagon story's been bugging me all day. Making every instance of someone vomiting into a potential Ebola crisis is not just stupid but counter-productive.

I talked to someone from Nigeria the other day, and I've had a splitting headache all day today. I'm sure, if I went to the hospital, I'd be quarantined.

That Pentagon story's been bugging me all day. Making every instance of someone vomiting into a potential Ebola crisis is not just stupid but counter-productive.

LoL... What I can't figure out is why people are hurling all over the place. I can count two fingers were I missed the toilet and I was drunk both times and 21! Then all times I was drunk and still managed to hit it! ;-) Jokes away! ;-)

Last month some kid just puked all over the place in my son's high school class... WTF, even as a teenager my son was confused @ the lack of control. He said: "What are they 6?" :-/ Get the frig up and run to the bathroom... No permission needed, ask for it later when you have puke breath! ;-)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

LoL... What I can't figure out is why people are hurling all over the place. I can count two fingers were I missed the toilet and I was drunk both times and 21! Then all times I was drunk and still managed to hit it! ;-) Jokes away! ;-)

Last month some kid just puked all over the place in my son's high school class... WTF, even as a teenager my son was confused @ the lack of control. He said: "What are they 6?" :-/ Get the frig up and run to the bathroom... No permission needed, ask for it later when you have puke breath! ;-)

Not all vomiting is preceded by nausea. I can't take the Metro, because I get motion sickness, with little warning. A few months ago, my wife was vomiting blood without any warning...turned out it was ulcers (now, of course, she'd be not just quarantined, but probably euthanized "just to be safe.") It happens.