Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments , is still a little rusty, why is Kyle Orton NOT the long term answer?

I think he is......

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out ? Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years :flirt:

Because he's not EJ, And Orton [and the Bills] did not win that game. It was the Detroit kicker. Don't you read C biscuit, John from hemat, and Bills fan-4-ever? They will be happy to explain to you why the Bills stole that game and why Orton is crap and EJ is the future.

Maybe he just got the shaft because he's goofy looking and he party's. Sounds like a perfect buffalo guy to me.

True. And the thing is he's gotten goofier looking year by year. Weird, but I don't recall him being known as a big partier in his Denver days. Maybe those pics are really old?

Edited by The Frankish Reich

JR, I hear you but that ignores this is a much more talented team than he played on in the past. I used to watch Chicago, and Denver games. There are more weapons, and a significantly better defense.

I'm not making a bust for him in canton, but let's just see. If he gets his sea legs about him with this team, and does well this year, I'm fine with drafting a QB again and keep working with him.

I believe there is a chance he is our Alex Smith. That is a compliment as Alex is a solid NFL QB.

Note to Marrone: Your an ex NFL Lineman and coach. Fix the damn Guard situation so our running game is fixed. And oh, by the way, stop putting Spiller in as a every down running back. I was so pissed at that pathetic attempt for a block when Orton was sacked. That is completely unacceptable.

Think there's a reason he hasnt been able to hold a job?

The only place he's ever really been dumped was Denver. Chicago traded him for Cutler who, at the time, was considered by many to be a top 10 QB coming off a huge statistical season (arguably the best of his career) after only 3 years in the league. The thing in Denver was complicated and weird.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not declaring him a franchise QB just yet, but I don't think his history precludes that. He's shown to be the kind of guy who gets better with practice, and if he shows to be a top 20 QB I think we could be legit contenders for the next several years.

The only place he's ever really been dumped was Denver. Chicago traded him for Cutler who, at the time, was considered by many to be a top 10 QB coming off a huge statistical season (arguably the best of his career) after only 3 years in the league. The thing in Denver was complicated and weird.

Don't misunderstand, I'm not declaring him a franchise QB just yet, but I don't think his history precludes that. He's shown to be the kind of guy who gets better with practice, and if he shows to be a top 20 QB I think we could be legit contenders for the next several years.

Yeah, for those of us who saw a lot of the Broncos, the Orton years are forever associated with the mess made by Josh McDaniels. And that mess was still well in place when Tebow took over for Orton.

Yes. Shiny new objects.

You sure that it's not...

His rookie year had his best record at 10-5 but he had the lowest qb rating of all qualifying qbs

They then moved grossman back to 1 and signed Brian griese (real shiny) to supplant him at #2

Went 9-7, 8-8, 4-12 and 1-4

Then kc didn't hold onto him and his bestFA offer was to back up a firmly entrenched starter....

He's a decent player but let's not pretend he's great and purely a result of 2 bad GM decisions

Edited by NoSaint

JR, I hear you but that ignores this is a much more talented team than he played on in the past. I used to watch Chicago, and Denver games. There are more weapons, and a significantly better defense.

I'm not making a bust for him in canton, but let's just see. If he gets his sea legs about him with this team, and does well this year, I'm fine with drafting a QB again and keep working with him.

I believe there is a chance he is our Alex Smith. That is a compliment as Alex is a solid NFL QB.

Note to Marrone: Your an ex NFL Lineman and coach. Fix the damn Guard situation so our running game is fixed. And oh, by the way, stop putting Spiller in as a every down running back. I was so pissed at that pathetic attempt for a block when Orton was sacked. That is completely unacceptable.

I am actually with you guys, and would love to see Orton be a 5-year guy here. But I felt burned by Fitz, who I thought could be a long-term guy too.

In any event, if he does well, I see no reason to change course this year or next.

Because he's not EJ, And Orton [and the Bills] did not win that game. It was the Detroit kicker. Don't you read C biscuit, John from hemat, and Bills fan-4-ever? They will be happy to explain to you why the Bills stole that game and why Orton is crap and EJ is the future.

Wait a minute.....why am I getting lumped into this? WTF

The Bears team he played on were also very talented especially on d. Just wait and the answer will be obvious. Contrary to what people want to believe, he can't make all the throws. They end up going the other way. He is what his stats say he is. Can we win with him? Maybe, but eventually his numbers will catch up with him. I am not advocating for anyone, just pointing out that in his case the numbers don't lie. He is average.

You sure that it's not...

His rookie year had his best record at 10-5 but he had the lowest qb rating of all qualifying qbs

They then moved grossman back to 1 and signed Brian griese (real shiny) to supplant him at #2

Went 9-7, 8-8, 4-12 and 1-4

Then kc didn't hold onto him and his bestFA offer was to back up a firmly entrenched starter....

He's a decent player but let's not pretend he's great and purely a result of 2 bad GM decisions

No Saint, that's about right. Brian Griese is actually a really good comparable. Of course, so was Alex Smith up until his last full Niners year. But so was, for example, Matt Moore. Or Chad Henne. Or as people have said, Rich Gannon. Or maybe ... Ryan Fitzpatrick (although Orton has a stronger resume at the time of taking over the Bills QB job). Or Rex Grossman. Or Matt Cassell. These are all competent NFL QBs, kind of the 25th - 45th best QBs in the world at any given moment. That's why they tend to alternate between starting jobs and being the veteran backup. That's pretty damn good to be in the top 30 or so in something in the entire world. And sometimes they catch fire late like Gannon or Alex Smith, but sometimes their skills erode and they fall off a cliff like Chad Henne. (The team around him may have something to do with that) Orton could have a nice 2-3 year run with a strong defensive team with some nice offensive weapons. Or he could fizzle out by Game 10. Who knows? I say it was worth a try since EJ was not showing any improvement since his first NFL start.

Edited by The Frankish Reich

:thumbsup:

There is one journeyman who became league MVP, Gannon

Morton was a journeyman who made the super bowl.

Plunkett was a castoff backup who won two super bowls.

Hostetler was a limited backup who won the Super Bowl

Rypien was a journeyman player with one great season.

Humphries and O'Donnell and Eason made the super bowl. Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Williams owns the best Super Bowl quarter of all time. Lots of QB of the ilk of Orton have done well.

No Saint, that's about right. Brian Griese is actually a really good comparable. Of course, so was Alex Smith up until his last full Niners year. But so was, for example, Matt Moore. Or Chad Henne. Or as people have said, Rich Gannon. Or maybe ... Ryan Fitzpatrick (although Orton has a stronger resume at the time of taking over the Bills QB job). Or Rex Grossman. Or Matt Cassell. These are all competent NFL QBs, kind of the 25th - 45th best QBs in the world at any given moment. That's why they tend to alternate between starting jobs and being the veteran backup. That's pretty damn good to be in the top 30 or so in something in the entire world. And sometimes they catch fire late like Gannon or Alex Smith, but sometimes their skills erode and they fall off a cliff like Chad Henne. (The team around him may have something to do with that) Orton could have a nice 2-3 year run with a strong defensive team with some nice offensive weapons. Or he could fizzle out by Game 10. Who knows? I say it was worth a try since EJ was not showing any improvement since his first NFL start.

I won't disagree. Just think realistically he's capped out at "middle of the pack"

That's not a failure, just not a guy you put at the top of the depth chart and stop looking to upgrade. Good to have around still

Edited by NoSaint

NoSaint, Charles Romes, good comments. I think we differ on whether the switch to Orton (or even signing Orton) was smart, but we all agree on what he is.

There is one journeyman who became league MVP, Gannon

Morton was a journeyman who made the super bowl.

Plunkett was a castoff backup who won two super bowls.

Hostetler was a limited backup who won the Super Bowl

Rypien was a journeyman player with one great season.

Humphries and O'Donnell and Eason made the super bowl. Dilfer won a Super Bowl. Williams owns the best Super Bowl quarter of all time. Lots of QB of the ilk of Orton have done well.

Thanks ... some good examples. Of course, we tend to remember the successes and forget the failures. Off the top of my head: Bubby Brister, Mike Tomczak, Vince Ferragamo (of the Bills period) ... I mentioned Cassel, Chad Henne, Fitz (quietly having an awful season)

When I see Kyle Orton I think of Brad Johnson. A journeyman QB that bounced around Minnesota, Washington, before landing with a good Tampa team. They are both similar and needed to be at the right place at the right time. Maybe this Orton's time. Time will tell. However beware, it was just 3 weeks ago when people so impressed with Kirk Cousins after putting up 50 against Jacksonville.

Now Skins fan can't wait for RG3 to return.

When I see Kyle Orton I think of Brad Johnson. A journeyman QB that bounced around Minnesota, Washington, before landing with a good Tampa team. They are both similar and needed to be at the right place at the right time. Maybe this Orton's time. Time will tell. However beware, it was just 3 weeks ago when people so impressed with Kirk Cousins after putting up 50 against Jacksonville.

Now Skins fan can't wait for RG3 to return.

Skins fans should be careful what they wish for. If I were a betting man I'd put my money on Cousins having the longer and more successful career of the two.