Please tell me why Kyle Orton is not the long term answer ?

HOUSE

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments ,is still a little rusty, why do you feel that Kyle Orton is NOT the long term answer in Buffalo? Just curious...

Isn't it necessary for Kyle Orton to look really bad for an extended period BEFORE we write him off ??

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out now ? I see lots of threads that say he is a short term fix AND we need to draft another quarterback........Why ?

What's in Kyle Ortons game makes him a short term fix only ?

Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years .

We may be rebuilding this team by then....... :flirt:

--

Edited by HOUSE

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well the short answer is that Kyle Orton was not drafted #1 and christened "franchise" by an host of angels throwing rose petals at his feet.

While it's premature to crown Kyle our franchise QB, I think there are reasons think he could be.

He's not that old (31), he's been in the league for ten years, mostly as a starter, but because he's been a backup for a few years he's not as beat up as a ten year QB could be. Also Orton has never suffered a major injury.

Also the Bills are probably the most talented team that Orton had played on, and Orton is the most experienced Bills QB since Bledsoe. It could be a match made in heaven.

He's our answer for the next couple years...Bradford, RG3 or cousins could become options if tpegs wants to make a strong move. If we keep winning we end up in the late teens in the 2nd round for our first pick. If we take a guy there its a year or more before he's ready.

I think he could be a legitimate option. This roster is so talented. Orton is only 31. People will be quick to throw out his career QBR and certain stats, but if you look at the situations he has consistently been in, they weren't ideal. He got shafted in favor of shiny new toys like Tebow and Cutler. Wasn't Orton 21-12 as a starter for the Bears? I remember quite a few Bears fans who were ready to start building around Orton.

Orton may be in the best situation he's ever been in here in Buffalo. And EJ is a long term project, and I really like him as the backup learning from Orton. I hope we draft another QB next year mid rounds and he'll be the third string.

There's just something about Orton. He has such a swagger and is a lot more talented than people give him credit for. Again, I'm a big believer in looking at the overall picture when grading a QB's career. I think Orton is better than his career stats show.

I'm excited to see him play more.

*I still believe in EJ, btw, but I see no problem with him sitting for a while.

Well the short answer is that Kyle Orton was not drafted #1 and christened "franchise" by an host of angels throwing rose petals at his feet.

While it's premature to crown Kyle our franchise QB, I think there are reasons think he could be.

He's not that old (31), he's been in the league for ten years, mostly as a starter, but because he's been a backup for a few years he's not as beat up as a ten year QB could be. Also Orton has never suffered a major injury.

Also the Bills are probably the most talented team that Orton had played on, and Orton is the most experienced Bills QB since Bledsoe. It could be a match made in heaven.

Thank you.... :thumbsup:

I think he could be a legitimate option. This roster is so talented. Orton is only 31. People will be quick to throw out his career QBR and certain stats, but if you look at the situations he has consistently been in, they weren't ideal. He got shafted in favor of shiny new toys like Tebow and Cutler. Wasn't Orton 21-12 as a starter for the Bears? I remember quite a few Bears fans who were ready to start building around Orton.

Orton may be in the best situation he's ever been in here in Buffalo. And EJ is a long term project, and I really like him as the backup learning from Orton. I hope we draft another QB next year mid rounds and he'll be the third string.

There's just something about Orton. He has such a swagger and is a lot more talented than people give him credit for. Again, I'm a big believer in looking at the overall picture when grading a QB's career. I think Orton is better than his career stats show.

I'm excited to see him play more.

*I still believe in EJ, btw, but I see no problem with him sitting for a while.

Rich Gannon

That brings up so many questions to be honest......

- So many teams have moved on from him to a draft pick

- So many teams draft pick ended up not being as good as Orton

- QBs dont hang around in the league if they cant play

BUT

- Why do teams keep moving on from him in the past?

Is it possible that he has just found the perfect fit? I feel like teams too often have leaned on him instead of biulding up teams around him.

If he plays well, stays healthy and keeps this team in a competitive situation he will continue to be the starter. It may last a half dozen games, it may last a half dozen years. He controls his own destiny and yes, I see no reason he cant be a long term starter. As long as he helps the team win football games. And...EJ will be fine. I honestly believe he's in a good spot too.... learning the craft behind Kyle.

Considering he has one month with the team, beat the Lions, made all the throws,made some great adjustments , is still a little rusty, why is Kyle Orton NOT the long term answer?

I think he is......

Yes,yes, we need to see more but why rule him out ? I see lots of threads that say he is a short term fix........Why ?

Its very possible that he could be Buffalo's QB for the next 5 or 6 years .

We may be rebuilding this team by then....... :flirt:

--

Think there's a reason he hasnt been able to hold a job?

Think there's a reason he hasnt been able to hold a job?

I think it could very well be like Promo said that he's not a shiny new franchise top of the draft pick. Somewhat of an underwhelming choice at first glance, and I think there's always pressure on the GM's to keep fans interested by addressing the QB position in a big way. So even though Kyle could have been a great option to build around, it was more 'exciting' to draft a guy like Tebow, bring that hype to Denver, make fans think you're doing something. Same in Chicago. You have to go w Cutler bc he's the expensive new toy we brought in.

I think it could very well be like Promo said that he's not a shiny new franchise top of the draft pick. Somewhat of an underwhelming choice at first glance, and I think there's always pressure on the GM's to keep fans interested by addressing the QB position in a big way. So even though Kyle could have been a great option to build around, it was more 'exciting' to draft a guy like Tebow, bring that hype to Denver, make fans think you're doing something. Same in Chicago. You have to go w Cutler bc he's the expensive new toy we brought in.

Statistically, the guy is pretty much exactly like Ryan Fitzpatrick. About a 80.0 career QB rating, 60% completion percentage, and even number of TDs to INTs.

So, while I love what Orton did on Sunday, I also loved what Fitz did at times...but ultimately his inconsistent play wasn't good enough to get us to be a good team.

Statistically, the guy is pretty much exactly like Ryan Fitzpatrick. About a 80.0 career QB rating, 60% completion percentage, and even number of TDs to INTs.

So, while I love what Orton did on Sunday, I also loved what Fitz did at times...but ultimately his inconsistent play wasn't good enough to get us to be a good team.

There is a difference in Fitz and Orton. Orton can make every throw. Not the biggest arm, but he can throw outside the #s, Fitz could not.

There is a difference in Fitz and Orton. Orton can make every throw. Not the biggest arm, but he can throw outside the #s, Fitz could not.

Yeah, I agree, that's why you have to look at the bigger picture, not just the stats themselves.

But Fitz is more mobile. Still, I like Orton, and I'm in the rare minority who thought he kind of got the shaft in Denver. That was a pretty bad football team that Tebow took over and then got pretty lucky with. Orton is no long term answer because (1) he's 31; (2) he's Kyle Orton. But could we make the playoffs with him? Sure. We're one Tom Brady injury away from being the favorites.