Kevin Kolb injuries / release derailed Whaley / Nix plan for EJ

Bocephuz

Seems to me like most people around here and in the media have decided it was a foregone conclusion that Whaley and Marrone had planned on starting EJ from day one and that Kevin Kolb was just brought in to be a veteran presence/mentor.

I'm quite certain the Bills brain trust wanted to see a real QB competition during preseason 2013 and they were probably secretly hoping that Kolb would perform well enough to be the starter, thus buying EJ some time to observe and develop at a reasonable pace. There is no way on God's green earth that experienced talent evaluators like Whaley and Nix saw EJ as an NFL ready QB. I think they saw a guy with great physical tools and a great work ethic who needed some grooming. Kolb slipping on the mat and then getting that concussion completely derailed that plan and EJ was forced to step in and momentum just drove the situation from there.

It seems to be an accepted fact that the Bills made a huge mistake signing Kolb due to his injury history but I think that opinion is convenient Monday morning quarterbacking. EJ would have had a much better shot at success if he would have had to win his job rather than getting it by default through injury and Kolb was signed to be the bridge QB to facilitate that. Unfortunately fate did not allow that to happen.

Hopefully he will now have a chance to win his job back by earning it and his next opportunity won't come via injury.

Edited by Bocephuz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree about their plan to start Kolb and let EJ sit but I'm thinking it wouldn't have lasted long. Kolb probably would have gotten hurt early on anyway or would have played poorly and then there would be the pressure to start EJ-just look at how fast he pulled the plug on EJ this year.

Certainly there was some injury risk with Kolb not lasting a whole season.. but I think the risk of him performing below the level of an average NFL QB was low. I think the Bills would have been .500 or slightly better with average QB play last year (keep in mind Thad Lewis won two games in 2013) and I believe that would have been enough to pacify the fan base and justify keeping EJ on the bench for 2013. I think the odds of Kolb staying healthy and playing better than Thad Lewis were good enough for the front office to take on the risk of signing Kolb. I guess what I'm saying is I don't fault the front office for the Kolb signing.. I don't remember there being many other good options at the time. Edited by Bocephuz

EJ was supposed to have a redshirt year. But Kolb was derailed before he slipped on the mat and later concussed. Manuel was outplaying him all through OTAs and training camp. That's what the coaches hadn't planned on. It would have been a tough sell to the rest of the team to start Kolb after he was outpeformed by the rookie.

GO BILLS!!!

Well it was still a flawed plan. Putting aside Kolb's pre-Bills career of suckitude, they should've diversified their bets a bit more by bringing in/drafting another young QB at the same time. Osweiler, Mettenberger, etc. - someone to develop and groom along with EJ who could serve as a backup plan in the event that EJ and Kolb didn't work out. The idea that Tuel (or Lewis) could someday develop into starting-caliber players is ill-conceived at best.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

EJ was supposed to have a redshirt year. But Kolb was derailed before he slipped on the mat and later concussed. Manuel was outplaying him all through OTAs and training camp. That's what the coaches hadn't planned on. It would have been a tough sell to the rest of the team to start Kolb after he was outpeformed by the rookie.

GO BILLS!!!

Training camp and OTAs are one thing... looking good in live action is another. It's a shame Kolb didn't get a chance to play out the preseason and finish the competition. You do make a good point though.. there's a chance that EJ still beats him out.. however... I think if it would've been even Kolb would have started.

Well it was still a flawed plan. Putting aside Kolb's pre-Bills career of suckitude, they should've diversified their bets a bit more by bringing in/drafting another young QB at the same time.

The whole plan would have worked fine if they hadn't cut Tarvaris Jackson in April after just re signing him a few months earlier. They (stupidly) rolled the dice on Kolb staying healthy and he didn't. Sorry, but I can't give them a pass on that.

Well it was still a flawed plan. Putting aside Kolb's pre-Bills career of suckitude, they should've diversified their bets a bit more by bringing in/drafting another young QB at the same time. Osweiler, Mettenberger, etc. - someone to develop and groom along with EJ who could serve as a backup plan in the event that EJ and Kolb didn't work out. The idea that Tuel (or Lewis) could someday develop into starting-caliber players is ill-conceived at best.

This.

And they doubled-down on Thad/Tuel in 2014 .....EJ doubts and all. That one is on Whaley all the way 0/3 in QB's with a playoff roster otherwise.

The whole plan would have worked fine if they hadn't cut Tarvaris Jackson in April after just re signing him a few months earlier. They (stupidly) rolled the dice on Kolb staying healthy and he didn't. Sorry, but I can't give them a pass on that.

Correct, and by extension deciding to cut Fitz in the first place, when the next best available QB would have been Kolb.

This.

And they doubled-down on Thad/Tuel in 2014 .....EJ doubts and all. That one is on Whaley all the way 0/3 in QB's with a playoff roster otherwise.

Lewis was released pretty quickly after underperforming. From what I understand they had been talking to Orton throughout the off season and as soon as they knew they could get him they cut Tuel as fast as they could. I think they knew Orton was there to be had all along.

What kind of front office do you have when you expect Kevin Kolb to a) remain healthy b) give him a 2 year 6.1M deal (with 2M guaranteed) and c) expect him to push/mentor your rookie QB? Not a very good one.

These moves they've made at QB going back to when Nix came aboard are head-scratching to say the least. It's hard to tell where Buddy's bad decisions ended and Whaley's began.

Edited by BillsVet

What kind of front office do you have when you expect Kevin Kolb to a) remain healthy b) give him a 2 year 6.1M deal (with 2M guaranteed) and c) expect him to push/mentor your rookie QB? Not a very good one.

These moves they've made at QB going back to when Nix came aboard are head-scratching to say the least. It's hard to tell where Buddy's bad decisions ended and Whaley's began.

Signing Fitz to such a huge deal was a head scratcher to say the least. Cutting him in place of Kolb was another one. Now looking back I wonder if the Bills would be any better off with Fitz instead of Orton. By the end of the year I predict we will all be having the same discussion of quarterback need on this team.

It has been so long since this team has been even average at the QB position. I really have to wonder why more emphasis isn't being spent on obtaining a quality passer.

Bottom line....it wasnt handled well

I personally do not believe Kolb sucks as much as some on here.....he has been a starting QB in the league and won some games.......

But...this is all past tense.

What is more concerning is that EJ Manuel did outlay Kolb.......but for some reason is still sitting in a "protect the QB from himself" type offense and mentality.........the good news is I dont think Orton is gonna tolerate that like a young rookie would. and they are gonna give Orton more latitude BECAUSE he is a long time veteran

It's hard to disagree with this. Who in their right mind puts faith in Kolb to do anything?

Hard to believe that after a year and a half (for Whaley) of mis-managing the QB situation, could they possibly get lucky as hell if Orton can get the job done?

They should have just kept Fitz. Even if they kept Fitz on his hugely overpriced contract, he was still a better bargain than Kolb. He's got the brains you'd want in a mentor and the toughness to actually be ready to play and not be on IR. IMO, the chance they took on Kolb and letting Fitz go was riskier than reaching for EJ.

I agree that the Kolb injury negatively effected EJ's long term development. I have no idea whether it will be treated this way, but I would like to see the Bills continue to develop EJ while Orton is starting. We have a lot invested in EJ. There is little reason to close the book on him. He is not a finished product.

They should have just kept Fitz. Even if they kept Fitz on his hugely overpriced contract, he was still a better bargain than Kolb. He's got the brains you'd want in a mentor and the toughness to actually be ready to play and not be on IR. IMO, the chance they took on Kolb and letting Fitz go was riskier than reaching for EJ.

I would have had no problem with this, but it takes two to tango. He did not want to re-structure his contract. In an ideal world, Fitz and Bills would have re-structured his contract, he would have stayed with the Bills, and the Bills would have had more time to develop a young QB.