Kevin Kolb injuries / release derailed Whaley / Nix plan for EJ

Bocephuz

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Ironically releasing Jackson might have also hurt this team as I wonder if he would have started or given us the veteran we needed behind/ahead Manuel. As let's not forget we had Jackson in fold but cut him after acquiring Kolb. I'm not saying Manuel is beyond repair like many here but quite frankly his career path too me feels too short. I realize that the Bills are in a win now mantra and it might work out we make the playoffs this year but it still gives a big time question mark as to who the long term QB of the Bills will be as it's been one we've been looking for since Jim Kelly retired.

Releasing TJax made no sense whatsoever if the idea was for Kolb to be the starter. If you didn't want to start a rookie you would have kept a veteran to back up Kolb. Everyone in the NFL was aware that Kolb was a HUGE injury risk. Kolb was brought in to be the REASON for the rookie QB to start and TJax was a threat to undermine that plan.

Releasing TJax made no sense whatsoever if the idea was for Kolb to be the starter. If you didn't want to start a rookie you would have kept a veteran to back up Kolb. Everyone in the NFL was aware that Kolb was a HUGE injury risk. Kolb was brought in to be the REASON for the rookie QB to start and TJax was a threat to undermine that plan.

It really doesn't matter what the intention was regarding the acquisition of Kolb or the inexplicable departure of Jackson. (The handling of Jackson was simply odd. What was the point of even bringing him when the coaching staff consigned him to be an invisible presence.) If Manuel was a poor selection as a qb of the future the end result is the same. Can EJ be salvageable? Maybe, up to a low ceiling point. From what I have seen he will never be a good starting qb who can lead his team to a contending status. Without a doubt he can elevate his game yet still be an inadequate starting qb.

Buddy Nix had a number of golden opportunities to find a franchise qb during his tenure. What is most upsetting is that he could have procured a number of quality qb prospects outside of the first round (Kaepernick, Wilson etc) and left this franchise in a good position to move forward. His indecisiveness prior to his last year on the job caused him to make a panic qb selection in a bad qb draft year. That type of small thinking happens when you have a checkers player play when the game is chess.

Edited by JohnC