Marrone-"I didn't ask for agreement [when he told Whaley]"

dave mcbride

http://espn.go.com/blog/buffalo-bills/post/_/id/13803/benching-manuel-takes-burden-off-marrone

The decision, the Bills say, was made entirely by Marrone, who delivered the news Monday afternoon to general manager Doug Whaley.

"I didn't ask for an agreement," Marrone explained. "I just went in there and said, 'This is the direction that I'm going.'"

-------

This of course makes me wonder about their relationship and who was really the advocate for bringing in Orton. Something tells me that Marrone may not have been as critical of bringing in Orton as the media (Florio and others) would have us believe.

Edited by dave mcbride

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://espn.go.com/b...den-off-marrone

The decision, the Bills say, was made entirely by Marrone, who delivered the news Monday afternoon to general manager Doug Whaley.

"I didn't ask for an agreement," Marrone explained. "I just went in there and said, 'This is the direction that I'm going.'"

-------

This of course makes me wonder about their relationship and who was really the advocate for bringing in Orton. Something tells me that Marrone may not have been as critical of bringing in Orton as the media (Florio and others) would have us believe.

I thought Florio was full of it from the moment he made his post about it. It just didn't make any sense. And of course, today in his post about it, he makes it sound like Marrone has reversed course, rather than Florio being wrong all along.

Edited by MRW

-------

If he made the decision first and then told Whaley, to me it points to a good relationship. You want the coach to make big decisions before checking in with the front office. Whaley must have empowered him enough to allow him to make the football decision.

Edited by Fan in Chicago

I didn't read Florio's thoughts on the situation, but I assumed from the so-called spat between the Dougs that Doug M. was upset by the Palmer signing given the general dreadfulness of Jeff and Thad. From that, I always assumed Doug M. was the one pushing for a better upgrade at back-up QB than Doug W. had provided.

-------

St. Doug being St. Doug.

-------

I am surprised that this thread didn't get more attention.

Do you think that Mularkey would have made a move like this without consulting Donahoe? Marrone isn't exactly my favorite coach of all time but he really does have a redeeming factor or 2. And I DO believe the report from a month or so ago where he was alleged to have told Whaley, "if you want, fire me," or words to that effect. He needs to retain control of the team and keep the players believing that they have a chance to win.

I respect this move and btw thanks for posting this.

Marrone clearly made this move to save the locker room (and his job) - not saying it wasn't the right move, it was, but he was about to lose the team (which I predicted on Sunday night).

And the fact that the coach has final say on his gameday roster is important for luring future coaches here. The stain of the Flutie/Johnson intervention still lingers over this franchise. Of course, Marrone's refusal to put Urbik in over Pears, which is a direct by-product of this new authority, may ultimately contribute to get Marrone fired. But at least he'll be hanging himself by his own petard,

"They want you to cook the dinner at least they should let you shop for the groceries." - Bill Parcells.

since I didn't shop for the groceries, i'll cook what I want - Doug Marrone.

"since i have no ingredients and i'm a terrible cook, we'll go get some cheeseburgers." -- mike mularkey

If he made the decision first and then told Whaley, to me it points to a good relationship. You want the coach to make big decisions before checking in with the front office. Whaley must have empowered him enough to allow him to make the football decision.

Yep. And by publicly stating this, Marrone is putting all the responsibility for the decision on his shoulders - where it belongs as HC.

I didn't read Florio's thoughts on the situation, but I assumed from the so-called spat between the Dougs that Doug M. was upset by the Palmer signing given the general dreadfulness of Jeff and Thad. From that, I always assumed Doug M. was the one pushing for a better upgrade at back-up QB than Doug W. had provided.

according to this article, it was Whaley that wanted Orton, not Marrone. Either way, hopefully Whaley empowered Doug to make football decisions regarding who starts, and Doug woke up and realized that EJ was going to get him fired (and a few WR's killed). http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/ej-manuel-buffalo-bills-benched-kyle-orton-doug-marrone-doug-whaley-092914