Levitre in danger of being benched

Everyone was freaking out when we didn't sign him, same with Byrd. Byrd has only 1 defended pass this season and no interceptions. He does have a force fumble though.

this team is probably better with both Levitre and Byrd. But they both got overpaid (IMO) and you can't sign guys like Graham and Spikes if you overpay at areas like G and S which tend to not be valued as high as MLB and CB.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Had to look up Demetress Bell. Free agent. Kills me that these guys were sooooo good in Buffalo but went elsewhere for the money and sucked it up. Philly released Bell after a season. Sounds like they are system players for sure.

No it's just that many posters will not accept Gailey knew the hand he was dealt, and designed a team and scheme around it. This includes CJ, his o-line, and Fitz.

I'm not trying to recap history, but Gailey was better than we want to admit. He knew Fitz's limitations, the line's limitations, and the speed of Spiller along with an avg WR

I still like Levitre and know he could be an addition to us. He's not worth $8 mil a year though.

How many times have you seen an athlete find success with one team and then never be able to replicate that with a new team? It happens in every sport, and on a regular basis. I firmly believe that the difference between excellence and mediocrity is incredibly fine when we are talking about elite athletes. And these guys, they get the impression that they could find success no matter where they go. There are countless athletes who never make it because they were never put in the right position to succeed, and then the ones who DO succeed take for granted how fortunate they were to find that success in the first place.

The difference can be so small and it can come down to things as intangible as chemistry, confidence, a happy family (with the city they live in), time zone, their favorite restaurant or plain old superstition. How many athletes can you think of who've fallen into this category?

Let's see how many we can name.

Peerless Price.

Chris Drury

Daniel Briere

Paul Kariya

Vince Carter

Andy Fantuz (CFL)

Nate Clements

I'm sure I can think of more. There are countless examples of players moving to a new team and never again finding the success they did originally.

I might suggest that Gailey and Joe D made the line look good.

They made good use of Spiller and Fitz and SJ . It was a group that had limitations . but they were minimized . Andy was one of my favorite to watch next to Wood. Those guys had some trust .

he did some neat stuff on the second level and outside of the hash marks.

Not a power blocker. Obviously .

will they trade him to us for Chris Willams ? :thumbsup:

I know your just kidding with a guy on his third team with a back problem, but what if we threw in another Guard? Just sayin. Yes, I know this is a fantasy and won't happen. He would fit us quite well. We could always keep the beef on the RG position, and shore up excellent pass protection. Too bad. I liked Andy.

No it's just that many posters will not accept Gailey knew the hand he was dealt, and designed a team and scheme around it. This includes CJ, his o-line, and Fitz.

I'm not trying to recap history, but Gailey was better than we want to admit. He knew Fitz's limitations, the line's limitations, and the speed of Spiller along with an avg WR

I still like Levitre and know he could be an addition to us. He's not worth $8 mil a year though.

Where is Chan now - anyone know ?

Gailey was a good coach, who could be a great offensive coordinator. His biggest failing was his choice of defensive coordinators, and bad luck on defense. Dave Wannstedt looked like a good plan, but Wannstedt's view was that a dominant defensive line could mask weak LBs. Then Mario Williams hurt his wrist and Marcel Dareus didn't show up, and the defensive line wasn't a force as expected, and then it turned out Wannstedt couldn't scheme.

All that is the responsibility of the head coach, but it wasn't like Gailey was a fool. Some reasonable things he did just didn't work out.

How many times have you seen an athlete find success with one team and then never be able to replicate that with a new team? It happens in every sport, and on a regular basis. I firmly believe that the difference between excellence and mediocrity is incredibly fine when we are talking about elite athletes. And these guys, they get the impression that they could find success no matter where they go. There are countless athletes who never make it because they were never put in the right position to succeed, and then the ones who DO succeed take for granted how fortunate they were to find that success in the first place.

The difference can be so small and it can come down to things as intangible as chemistry, confidence, a happy family (with the city they live in), time zone, their favorite restaurant or plain old superstition. How many athletes can you think of who've fallen into this category?

Let's see how many we can name.

Peerless Price.

Chris Drury

Daniel Briere

Paul Kariya

Vince Carter

Andy Fantuz (CFL)

Nate Clements

I'm sure I can think of more. There are countless examples of players moving to a new team and never again finding the success they did originally.

The first one to come to mind was Nate Odomes. He was a great CB for the Bills but couldn't transfer that when he signed for large money with Seattle.

Levitre was injured last year in the offseason and Buddy/Doug knew it so they weren't going to give him franchise $. The breasts knew that he was hurt (based on giving him a physical) and still gave him a ridiculous deal on the basis of hoping he would recover.

Well done to the country bumpkin and his protege for not signing him for that $.

Paul Kuharsky: I'll be very surprised if they make the move this week. But I do think Andy Levitre has to start playing better or he's in trouble. On the radio Friday, I asked GM Ruston Webster how much the big investment they made in Levitre as a free-agent signee last year preserves his status. He said everyone has to play well and contribute to wins and pointed out the Titans have invested a great deal into Taylor Lewan as well.

http://espn.go.com/b...rce=twitterfeed

Chris Williams contract + Colin Brown contract + Doug Legursky contract + lost production and actual lost football games last year as a result of not having a good guard, which Levitre was definitely last year > Levitre contract even if you cut him TODAY. Which they would have no need to do.

Losing is a very costly game. Even if you are regularly $30M under the cap as the Bills have been for a decade plus if you are never producing 10-12 wins AT ALL...only 4-7 wins...you are throwing money away. Losing leads to everything from roster and coaching turnover to unfulfilled potential(and subsequent loss of talent) and in the Bills case has initiated yet more losing, loss of young/new fans and earnings potential.

Back to the smaller picture....people need to understand that free agency is not a place where you can regularly expect to find value.......it's where you overpay to fill holes or prevent them from forming.

In hindsight the Bills had better options than Levitre.... paying Levitre money for All Pro Louis Vasquez or retaining Chad Rhinehardt come to mind....but it made a lot of sense to retain Levitre.

But as much as folks want to think it was a wise money decision I think we've seen that's not the case. It was more about getting bigger at guard. They never offered Levitre a contract. So the objective has been a COMPLETE failure.

I am sure that some apologist will find a way to disagree with that obvious conclusion, but getting bigger, taller guards has not worked out well.

And a great deal of the cost of reaching for non-QB needs in drafts.....and whiffing as Buddy and Whaley did so often in their tenure together....... is not having quality depth in reserve to replace expiring contracts like Levitre's.

Also btw, beware the opinions of people who interchange "we" and "they" as frequently as some of the people in this thread. :lol:

Edited by BADOLBEELZ

yes I do .

He is retired and enjoys his garden and his time with his wife.

God Bless the man !

Well, now that the summer crop is in (my tomatoes were eaten by everything but us) maybe his wife will get sick of having him around the house so much! I'd take him back with open arms for OC. I think we'd find a way to score points with him on board.

Well, now that the summer crop is in (my tomatoes were eaten by everything but us) maybe his wife will get sick of having him around the house so much! I'd take him back with open arms for OC. I think we'd find a way to score points with him on board.

One of the funny storylines of the decade and a half of fail is all of the successful coordinator types that have passed thru but nary a good head coach. LeBeau, Gilbride, Fewell, Greggo have all won SB's as coordinators since their departure(The Bills have never had a head coach who has won a SB before, after or obviously during their tenure in Buffalo).

I don't know if Chan could win a SB elsewhere but he sure could do well if someone gave him some talent to work with. Very good offensive mind.

I don't know if Chan could win a SB elsewhere but he sure could do well if someone gave him some talent to work with. Very good offensive mind.

We have a lot of talent.

I won't happen, but I do like the thought of it. :-)