Murph: "E.J. is not a game manager."

Stads

Game manager is a term used a couple ways IMO -

The rookie who is being put in a good situation and playing mistake-free (or low-mistake) ball.

The journeyman who has been around, knows what he sees, is calm in the game. He is never going to be excellent, but runs the offense competently. Again, low-risk and low-mistake ball. Fitz sometimes seemed like a game manager as long as he played within himself. When he tried to be a gunslinger and win these come-from-behind games, results were mixed.

I think EJ fits the first description. The difference is that I think "game manager" is not his ceiling.

I was listening to "The John Murphy Show" tonight and one caller said we have been winning since E.J. is being utilized as a game manager. Murph disagreed pretty strongly and said he is too talented for that role. I think, as of right now, game manager is all I want him to be. It ain't broken, so no need to fix it.

homer

Ben Rothelisberger was a game manager in his first two seasons on his way to the AFC Championship in the first year and the Super bowl in the 2nd season. His goal was to not make mistakes and make the right throws. The defense and STs were built to win the championshop for them.

I am perfectly happy with EJ being a game manager for the next two seasons as long as we continue to win.

BTW, a game manager still needs to make sharp and critical throws. EJ still has his task cut out. THe only thing is that the Bills are not asking him to win the games by himself.

Who was an a part of building those same Steelers teams and said that was the brand of football he was trying to bring to the B-Lo? Doug Whaley, that's who. Whaley has quietly built the defense through the draft and some nice acquisitions. Now if our QB can manage a game and not turn the ball over we should be "in" every contest this year. Hoping EJ keeps putting together the pieces on the fields and our staff keeps coming up with solid gameplans week after week.

I like the BR comparison:

BR 1st 2 years:

2004 - 14 Games, 66.4 Comp %, 17 TD, 11 Int, 98.1 Rating

2005 - 12 Games, 62.7 Comp %, 17 TD, 9 Int, 98.6 Rating

EJ

2013 - 10 games, 58.8 Comp %, 11 TD, 9 Int, 77.7 Rating

This year EJ has a 95.4 Rating to date, completing 66.7 % of his passes.

*BR actually started his career at the #3 QB behind Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch(lasted all of 2 games though). I think EJ would have benefited from watching a few games from this sideline last season, but the Bills didn't have the option. At any rate, let's just hope the comparisons end at on field activities only...

Edited by ricojes

I like the BR comparison:

BR 1st 2 years:

2004 - 14 Games, 66.4 Comp %, 17 TD, 11 Int, 98.1 Rating

2005 - 12 Games, 62.7 Comp %, 17 TD, 9 Int, 98.6 Rating

EJ

2013 - 10 games, 58.8 Comp %, 11 TD, 9 Int, 77.7 Rating

This year EJ has a 95.4 Rating to date, completing 66.7 % of his passes.

*BR actually started his career at the #3 QB behind Tommy Maddox and Charlie Batch(lasted all of 2 games though). I think EJ would have benefited from watching a few games from this sideline last season, but the Bills didn't have the option. At any rate, let's just hope the comparisons end at on field activities only...

EJ is even built like Ben. If he can have a similar career path I'll be pretty happy with that

Again, Murph, while a shill, didn't really say what people think. The caller compared EJ as a game manager to limited game manager QBs that won the Super Bowl like Trent Dilfer. Murph said "I don't think of him like that. I think he CAN BE much bigger than that. He has great size and a strong arm."

He was saying his ceiling is higher than a game manager.

Again, Murph, while a shill, didn't really say what people think. The caller compared EJ as a game manager to limited game manager QBs that won the Super Bowl like Trent Dilfer. Murph said "I don't think of him like that. I think he CAN BE much bigger than that. He has great size and a strong arm."

He was saying his ceiling is higher than a game manager.

And hes absolutely right

Murph also called callers crazy for not thinking Fitzpatrick was not the man too, no credibility at all, he works for the Bills.

Pure company man, and he sucks at it too.

Well said and dead on the money.

Any discussion of "Murph" is a waste of time. The guy is biased, and horrible at his job.

Other than that, I love him to pieces.

PS: I love how he frequently confuses yard lines while calling a game, such that he will reference the ball on the "37 yard line" when he really means the "27 yard line" and so on.

It's bizarre. I've never heard a play by play guy consistently make that particular mistake time and time again.

The guy is just horrible as his job!

Edited by Stopthepain

EJ is even built like Ben. If he can have a similar career path I'll be pretty happy with that

While I really think that EJ is more of a Steve McNair then a Ben R.

I REALLY think that Marrone (and Doug Whaley) are trying to follow the pittsburg blueprint

- Draft young QB......

- Biuld team up around said QB (Dominating defense, running game, solid targets, Offensive Line)

Ben made some very good plays as a first year QB but I still maintain that they did NOT lean on him that first year.......the ran the ball and played great defense....and asked Ben not to LOSE games

I think the QB's are not the same.....but I think the plan is the same.

Well said and dead on the money.

Any discussion of "Murph" is a waste of time. The guy is biased, and horrible at his job.

Other than that, I love him to pieces.

OK....dont we have ENOUGH media asswipes that talk crap about the team....Murph is more of "balance" to that

While I really think that EJ is more of a Steve McNair then a Ben R.

I REALLY think that Marrone (and Doug Whaley) are trying to follow the pittsburg blueprint

- Draft young QB......

- Biuld team up around said QB (Dominating defense, running game, solid targets, Offensive Line)

Ben made some very good plays as a first year QB but I still maintain that they did NOT lean on him that first year.......the ran the ball and played great defense....and asked Ben not to LOSE games

I think the QB's are not the same.....but I think the plan is the same.

OK....dont we have ENOUGH media asswipes that talk crap about the team....Murph is more of "balance" to that

Talking crap about this team, for the last decade and a half and more, has been completely appropriate and accurate.

Sorry if that is not what you like to read. Get out of the cave, my man. There is a big world out there to explore.

If you don't know what I mean, read up on your Plato.

Edited by Stopthepain

Right. My bad. The guy just mentioned the Bucs, not the QB specifically I don't think, and I mixed those two guys up.

Same thing though. ;)

I believe Gannon was the guy who threw five picks to the Bucs after his center went loco town to Tijuana.

Teams, like NE, are going to game plan to make EJ beat them. They're gonna load up the box and leave their CBs on Revis Island. It's gonna be up to EJ to make the throws to beat them

I don't mind admitting I look forward to seeing Sammy vs. Revis. I seem to recall Stevie Johnson had good success against Revis, so maybe Sammy'll watch some old film.

Teams, like NE, are going to game plan to make EJ beat them. They're gonna load up the box and leave their CBs on Revis Island. It's gonna be up to EJ to make the throws to beat them

No way they do that. All that will do is slow down the run game and have the receivers getting single coverage. You can't single cover our receivers and expect that to work. There is no secondary in the nfl that can do that.

No way they do that. All that will do is slow down the run game and have the receivers getting single coverage. You can't single cover our receivers and expect that to work. There is no secondary in the nfl that can do that.

Well I'm thinking they will load on the run to a degree. But if they are counting on "Revis Island" they may be making a big mistake. First of all Revis is one guy and the Bills have several dangerous receivers. And let us not forget Revis isn't much of an island anymore. He's a good CB, no doubt. But is he even in the top echelon any more?

Well I'm thinking they will load on the run to a degree. But if they are counting on "Revis Island" they may be making a big mistake. First of all Revis is one guy and the Bills have several dangerous receivers. And let us not forget Revis isn't much of an island anymore. He's a good CB, no doubt. But is he even in the top echelon any more?

yes - he is. he is certainly top 5 and arguably top 2. i love sammy, but if he matches up on Revis in Week 6, I expect him to have a quiet game.

yes - he is. he is certainly top 5 and arguably top 2. i love sammy, but if he matches up on Revis in Week 6, I expect him to have a quiet game.

I have to disagree, His best days are a few years behind him now. He's just a good CB now. Nothing more. IMO,. As QBs start to throw more in his directions that will become clear. He'll still get a few picks, but good WRs will have some success against him.

that would be great but I don't see him making plays like Ben does when everything breaks down.

Big Ben also benefited from some fantastic OCs in Ken Wishenhunt and Bruce Arians during those SB years.

I bet he wishes they were back.

that would be great but I don't see him making plays like Ben does when everything breaks down.

Yeah, 3 knee injuries in his rookie season will make the player and the coaches a little gun shy. It looks like it's been preached to him to not do the types of things that Ben did/does.

Given those injuries I'm happy with him taking the safe path as long as he continues to find players down field to throw the ball to.