Hackett too conservative in the red zone?

Jerry Jabber

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought Hackett called a great game. He ran similar looks and then ran different plays out of those looks to either keep or put Miami on their heels.

In the red zone, the plays were there but the execution wasn't: Woods' slant where EJ had a bad throw and the post EJ threw when Sammy went more upfield were a couple of TDs they could (should?) have had. That's not on Hackett at all.

Edited by Campy

It was fine for this game, but what happens when they are down 14 points in the 2nd half, or are in a shootout and all they can do is "consistently get the 3". Hopefully the red zone success will improve in coming weeks along with the running game which outside of Spillers's 47 yard run and Jackson's 11 yard run...

averaged 1.77 YPC on 31 attempts.

GO BILLS!

If the Bills were down by 14 I would fully expect the play calling to be different. But currently he is calling things correctly and not putting Manuel in situations where he can lose the game when managing the game is all he needs to do.

It was fine for this game, but what happens when they are down 14 points in the 2nd half, or are in a shootout and all they can do is "consistently get the 3". Hopefully the red zone success will improve in coming weeks along with the running game which outside of Spillers's 47 yard run and Jackson's 11 yard run...

GO BILLS!

Outside all the points the Bills scored, Miami won the game. :lol:

Edited by PromoTheRobot

the closer you get to the goalline - the less space you have to work with - which is why the fade route is so popular.. the receiver runs away from the congestion.. it's also why corners will take the outside away - hoping to funnel the receiver back to the box where additional defenders can take advantage of an errant or tipped throw. until EJ's comfortable working the middle of the field from more spacious field positions, don't expect to see many throws into traffic down there.. if we want to take shots where there's enough space for the receiver to get seperation, then we should do it on our approach

If I remember correctly, EJ missed a couple of throws early in the game that could have resulted in TD's instead of FG's. I don't think it was necessarily the play calling, but execution that cost them in the red zone.

EJ had 3 throws that should have been TDs

- Perfect bomb down right sideline on go route to Watkins and Brent Grimes makes outstanding play to break it up

- Slant to Robert Woods thrown at his feet

- Misses Watkins on a skinny post..Either a miscommunication or bad throw. Either Watkins post route was too skinny or EJ just misfired.

EJ had 3 throws that should have been TDs

- Perfect bomb down right sideline on go route to Watkins and Brent Grimes makes outstanding play to break it up

- Slant to Robert Woods thrown at his feet

- Misses Watkins on a skinny post..Either a miscommunication or bad throw. Either Watkins post route was too skinny or EJ just misfired.

To be fair to both EJ and Woods, on the your second point: not sure if you were able to see the re-run or a Vine of that play, but EJ snapped the ball and three Defenders in his lap in about a second, he was back peddling and throwing off his back foot, so that one, I put a little on the Offensive line and I think why it was at Woods' feet...although I give EJ credit for getting rid of the ball very quickly, it avoided a sack

If I remember correctly, EJ missed a couple of throws early in the game that could have resulted in TD's instead of FG's. I don't think it was necessarily the play calling, but execution that cost them in the red zone.

There were three poor passes in the red zone; the attempt to Woods, the fade to M Williams, and the one to Watkins. I'm sure he'd like to have all three back, but until I see the all-22, I'm not convinced that Watkins didn't flattened out a post route because he saw the safety coming over while EJ threw it to the spot anyway.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

GO BILLS!

My basic view on eliminating big runs that blow up averages is to do the following -- reduce a big run (say, 50 yards) to 20 yards. Once a fast Rb is 20 yards downfield, the defense has been clearly exposed and failed on the play. Under 20 is within the "perimeter" of defensive playmaking; beyond it is just a couple of CBs making desperation dives at the RB. Also, after 20 yards, there's no way that the o-line is involved anymore. Also, you simply can't eliminate the good runs to make a point about ineffective rushing. The good runs should absolutely count. Anyway, in my system the Bills had 33 carries for 86 real rushing yards (as opposed to breakaway yards) -- 2.61 yards per carry. Still lousy.

@Cianaf: Bills keep changing the point of attack with their O. Makes all 11 MIA defenders hesitant, slows rush + Watkins wide open. Great playcalling

Yep. Hackett has been giving DCs a lot to think about.

GO BILLS!!!

My basic view on eliminating big runs that blow up averages is to do the following -- reduce a big run (say, 50 yards) to 20 yards. Once a fast Rb is 20 yards downfield, the defense has been clearly exposed and failed on the play. Under 20 is within the "perimeter" of defensive playmaking; beyond it is just a couple of CBs making desperation dives at the RB. Also, after 20 yards, there's no way that the o-line is involved anymore. Also, you simply can't eliminate the good runs to make a point about ineffective rushing. The good runs should absolutely count. Anyway, in my system the Bills had 33 carries for 86 real rushing yards (as opposed to breakaway yards) -- 2.61 yards per carry. Still lousy.

I'm not seeing the utility of this. The reason the RB got to 20 yards was likely because the OL and blocking receivers tied everyone else up, allowing the RB to showboat against the diving DBs. So the yards past 20 you are discounting are in fact indicative of success and should be part of the statistic.

An average is an average. Limited utility, and definitely should be supplemented, but it has its utility for understanding the running game.

Also, the Bills look to me to be a team that is content with some low-yield run plays, as it allows them to beat up the other side and tire them out. You don't get Fred's run to the 1 in Chicago or CJ's 47 yarder without a few--or lots of--runs for a few yards earlier in the game.

kj

Marrone said in his interview that they were conservative in the second half when in the red zone. Wanted to keep the two score lead.

http://www.buffalobills.com/video/videos/Doug-Marrone-on-Red-Zone-Henderson-Stepping-Up-/0d76bdc3-21e1-40bc-804b-c681bcd0810c

Don't blame Hackett, blame Marrone! I'd like to see them go for the juggler. It will also give EJ and offense more confidence.

GO BILLS!

Why would they be down 14 pts ?

I dont get the logic here

Said this walking out of the Ralph yesterday - I think Hackett is our weak link. Just a feeling, but I think he is out of his league in the NFL.

Odd.

Ther ya go. gotta trust em first. other wise gotta play the odds