What the "experts" are saying this week re the Bills/Fins

CodeMonkey

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Always look at matchups and here is my preliminary take on it (have only watched bits of the Dolphins game so going with some stats):

Bills on O:

+ Bills WR > Dolphins secondary

+/- EJ looked good so last game but had nice pocket to work from. Not sure how he will do with smaller and collapsing pocket

+/- Bills RB vs LB: With our variety at RBs, Bills have the edge but their LBs are very good too.

+/- Bills OL vs Dolphins DL: This holds the key to the game. If our tackles hold and Wood controls the line, we will win

Dolphins likely will come with man coverage and pressure off the edges. if tackles hold up and we can set up screens/ crossing routes, Bills will do fine. Chandler, Watkins should

Bills on D:

+ Bills DBs vs WRs: Wallace, Hartline are good and will be a handful. After a decent performance against the Bears WRs, I see Bills holding the advantage

+/- Moreno vs LBs: Moreno had a good game but Spikes is on fire, we get Bradham back.

+ Tannehill vs DL and DB: I think Tannehill will see a lot of pressure from the front 4 and their OL isn't suited to hold up against this constant pressure

- Bills penalties: have to get these under control. There were some bad calls on Sunday, but going back to last year the inopportune penalties were driving me nuts.

Bills have HF advantage also. If Bills can be disciplined and not over-anxious, Bills should have the edge

Actually they both suck.

Brady looked worse than EJ ever did - missed on 16 of 18 over 15 yards.

I expect the Pats to lose again this week.

Not being snippy but did you actually see the fins pats game? Would love to know how much was on Brady vs OL and WRs.

I keep wondering how EJ will play in a collapsing pocket - especially coming from the right side (Wake vs Henderson). I'm having nervous flashbacks to that horrible spin move he loved last year. Hope he steps up in the pocket.

You are right to worry about that to some extent. But don't worry too much. This game is going to be won or lost on the ground by Fred Jackson and CJ Spiller. Manuel will get in a couple long shots. But, I doubt there is going to be a lot of throwing the ball. Not much shotgun. Mostly play action from under center. I expect a relatively boring game from the offense standpoint. But I'll take it as long as the Bills win.

Move the chains & protect the rock. The Bills only lose this game if they lose the turnover battle.

Reasons the Bills should win,

1. Opening day game with jacked up sellout crowd.

2. The Emotion of the First game at home without Ralph Wilson.

3. The Emotion of the First Game with possible new owner, Pegula.

4. Coming off first win ever in Chicago. Momentum and confidence.

5. Swept them last year with a 4th string QB Thad Lewis. Now EJ is playing.

6. Miami is coming off home victory over the Pats, But they did that last year and played us. Result Bills win.

7. Sammy Watkins ready to Explode. Expect big game from our Big Star.

8. Same Defensive line that destroyed them last year. Williams, Williams, Dareus and Hughes know how to find Tanneyhill.

9. Finally, Bills curse is over. Reed in HOF, Kelly has no Cancer, Bills staying in Buffalo. Momentum shifted to the Bills.

This is OUR Time. Playoff bound!

I for one can give a rats patudy what the so called experts say. I can watch the games and draw my own conclusions.

1. I don't care what offensive line we face on any team across the entire league. Our defensive line is as good as any and our linebackers are starting to show some real promise.

2. We have depth in the backfield too. Our corners and safeties have been competing at a high level for a while now. Over all, I think our defense has some extreme talent.

3. When our defense is defending the run, they stop the run. When they are defending the pass, they stop the pass. When they are uncertain about run or pass, that is when they have problems. Let's hope the coach is good enough to put them in position to be successful.

4. Offensively, we currently have exactly what you would expect. A lot of young players and veterans playing positions they are not used to. However, there is a lot of talent here too.

5. Our offense line is big and powerful. We have 2 guys on that line who are probowl worthy now and the rest are somewhat unknown at their current positions. I have no doubt though that they are working at getting better.

6. I have been hearing a lot of complaints about play calling throughout the preseason. What I saw was a coaching staff intentionally putting the team in difficult situations and asking them to make it work anyway. That is how you get better. You don't look for the gimme's. You fight through difficult circumstances. The game against Chicago showed us many things we did not see in the preseason. Play calling is good and will get better.

7. Robert Woods, Mike Williams and the rook are pretty damn good.

8. Our running backs are pretty damn good.

9. EJ is putting in the work. He is still going to make mistakes and I'm OK with that. What I am looking for is improvement. I saw signs of life in the Chicago game and I expect to see the game slow down for him throughout the season.

Now as for Miami, this team had an obvious advantage on both the OL and DL. New England is in trouble this year. The question is how will our OL and DL stack up against this Miami unit? I think our DL will dominate(they will do this all season long against any team). Our offensive line is going to be tested, however if anyone here thinks our offensive line isn't significantly better than NE's you are completely lost. Miami is the team that is heavily under the gun in this game. I will wager that Moreno or whatever the RBs name, is going nowhere fast. Our D is 100% aware of him and that is really all it takes to beat Miami. Make Tanny win the game with his arm and we win easily.

Squeeker? That's just silly. In their house maybe, but not this week. The Bills are just switching into second gear and haven't even floored it yet. Miami is going down hard. See ya!

Edited by Rockinon

I do find it interesting that there is an assumption (by some) that the Bills will be the team that has the letdown after a big win and not Miami...

The Bills are the team with better vet leadership (IMHO of course), and our young QB is playing at home where he had a 91.8 QB Rating and completed 62.8% of his passes last year...EJ also had 7 TD's to 3 INT's along with one rushing TD at home last year...In comparison Tannehill had a 79.9 QB Rating on the road in 2013...His 12 TD's to 9 INT's on the road was not bad...Not to mention the fact that he had a terrible game at Buffalo in 2013 when his team had everything to play for and the Bills were going nowhere...

Miami is seen, for whatever reason, as the favorite in this game...They are walking into a pretty major buzz-saw, a crowd that is going to be out-of-it's-mind pumped up, against a team with a strong Defense at home...The Bills were MUCH better at home Defensively in 2013...And their D looks to be even better (and deeper) this year...Especially vs the run...Opposing QB's had a combined 64.5 QB Rating in Buffalo last year, and only completed 54.1% of their passes...The Bills D had 14 INT's at home last year and allowed only 12 TD's...The Bills D also had 35 sacks at home last year which was 62.5% of their total last year...

I think there is definitely a team headed for a letdown in week #2... I don't think that team is the Bills... B-)

Edited by KOKBILLS

I do find it interesting that there is an assumption (by some) that the Bills will be the team that has the letdown after a big win and not Miami...

They have been conditioned to think that way. It is a natural response. It is similar to what happened with Pavlov's dog.

It is as conditioned as the habit of a smoker lighting a cigarette right after dinner. It is as conditioned as 14 year old popping a chub when he gets his first glance at a nudie mag. They simply can't help it.

Edited by PolishDave

The Bills D last year got lots of great stats against the pass but was gouged by the run. Enter Schwartz and Spikes. Teams that rely on the pass will struggle against the Bills. Teams with a strong passing attack will do well. Unfortunately for Miami, they match up very badly with the Bills D.

Unfortunately for the Bills, they also match up badly with the Miami D. I think the Bills O line is better (less bad?) than the Patriots O line, but they need to be a LOT better to hold up. NE's line turned into Kleenex against the Miami D. If Brady struggled, what will EJ do?

The biggest factor isn't players, it's coaching. Miami's Philbin is really impressive. He's been in his job longer than Marrone and his team, and he's making a series of innovations. The Fins D had the Pats completely befuddled last week. So this week, presumably the Bills will have worked out ways to attack what the Fins did last week. If the Fins pull another surprise against the Bills, will the Bills be able to adjust and find new ways to attack? To me that's the biggest question.

They have been conditioned to think that way. It is a natural response. It is similar to what happened with Pavlov's dog.

It is as conditioned as the habit of a smoker lighting a cigarette right after dinner. It is as conditioned as 14 year old popping a chub when he gets his first glance at a nudie mag. They simply can't help it.

Despite the deeply patronizing tone, this is correct. Decades of heartbreak have conditioned it. But I can tell you, as with every game, I'll live and die with the Bills and be going bananas (even if it is praying to the mountain gods in the rocky mtns on sunday and watching nfl rewind when i get back). MAN i want a bills win. My productivity in other areas is suffering i tell you what.

+/- Bills RB vs LB: With our variety at RBs, Bills have the edge but their LBs are very good too.

I have to quibble with this, Miami is shaky at LB due to injuries. They are down at least one starter and may potentially have all of them out, or limited.

Im thinkin, our neighbors to the north, the Toronto Bills fans, put the 12 th man advantage over the top in terms of undying support and enthusiam for the game of football. And of course their passion for the Bills. It should be too much for the 'Phins to overcome. Thank god were marketing to them cuz apperantly wed only have 40,000 ppl there withput them.

BUF 120

MIA -40

GO BILLS!!