O-line play

ny33

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

absolutely!

The thing is, i don't think that Bears D is anywhere near as good as it was under Lovie. The line gave EJ lots of time on lots of plays today. I still don't like the 3rd and one passing plays.

Some good play calling , and some of last years crappy play calling mixed in. Next the smelly fish...who just beat up the Patriots!

That crappy play calling is needed to set up the dynamic stuff. Give the OL some time to gel.....I think that crappy play calling will see some holes opening up within a few weeks(and won't look so crappy if that happens).

Overall I thought they played above average. The pass blocking seemed more consistent than the run blocking despite the stats. Now you can't disregard the long runs, but it felt like most runs were only 2 to 3 yards at most. Some of that I think should be blamed on the play calls. They run too much out of the shotgun for my taste. Granted dioxins big gain and I believe Fred's to setup the game winning field goal were both from shotgun, I still don't believe in it. Spiller especially is not very effective running from that formation.

The pass blocking today was solid besides a few break downs. Henderson had a hold and got beat bad for a sack, but played pretty damn well for a 7th rounder. Like I said, I thought the run blocking left a little to be desired, but not a bad day overall.

I had concerns about the O-line going into the game as they we're put together not even two weeks ago. I figured there would be issues opening up holes in the run game and thought Manuel would take more hits/sacks than what he did. It's going to take some time for these guys to gel, but I expect to see the O-line progress each week.

Over-all, they played well. There is, however, plenty of room for improvement. Specifically:

• Get more consistent (playing time together should help this a bunch).
  • Cut down on the holding penalties.
  • Make the blocks on the screen plays.
  • While we did rack up an impressive amount of yards, the power running game was below average. This line is big, use that strength better.
  • Pass blocking was decent, but a few breakdown now and then

My Grade today = B

That was a huge whiff. Freddie might have gotten to the goal line on that play if Pears gets even a piece of Peanut. That was a well designed play and it was a great call.

Yup. Hackett was actually pretty decent. It's easy for everyone to critique play calling when plays don't work. But he did some really nice things in this game. A couple head scratchers, too. But in a win, on the road, with this QB, it's hard to complain.

Overall they didn't run block that well, two big runs at the end of each half pushed the total up a bit plus EJs runs.

Obviously they need to be better and hope they improve now that they finally have 5 that will be playing together after the merry go round in the preseason.

I don't understand why this offense has so much trouble with screens

Ness flash, you don't get to dismiss three huge runs. The oline rocked. Did you also notice hairston ? This team is deep.

Seantrel Henderson will have to bring his "A" game next week against Cameron Wake next week. I just saw the highlights from the Patriots/Dolphins and Wake had 2 strip sacks on Brady.

If Henderson is one on one on one with Wake it'll be a long day. Wake is beasting. They'll have RBs and TEs chipping him all day hopefully. Gotta give the rook some help because lord knows he ain't gonna get any help from the meat sack lined up to his left.

I thought the line play was below average. Glenn's play was very good, the rest of the line was weak. He carried the line. Ironically, I thought their individual play was pretty much in order from left to right. I might switch Pears and Henderson, but both were very poor. Pears whiffing on blocks and Henderson holding. He's gonna need big help next week. When Hairston played as a third tackle, he missed key blocks too. Williams was ok and compared to previous LGs he was solid. Woods did not really have a game to write home about. Both Cryus and Cyril were healthy scratches. Why do you think that was?

I thought the line play was below average. Glenn's play was very good, the rest of the line was weak. He carried the line. Ironically, I thought their individual play was pretty much in order from left to right. I might switch Pears and Henderson, but both were very poor. Pears whiffing on blocks and Henderson holding. He's gonna need big help next week. When Hairston played as a third tackle, he missed key blocks too. Williams was ok and compared to previous LGs he was solid. Woods did not really have a game to write home about. Both Cryus and Cyril were healthy scratches. Why do you think that was?

They were far from perfect, but also far better than they were in preseason.

193 yards rushing and only 1 sack. Stats don't tell the entire story, but they aren't meaningless either. Considering this was the first (or perhaps second) game with this particular lineup (and for one player, his first NFL game) I'd say they acquitted themselves pretty well.

They were far from perfect, but also far better than they were in preseason.

193 yards rushing and only 1 sack. Stats don't tell the entire story, but they aren't meaningless either. Considering this was the first (or perhaps second) game with this particular lineup (and for one player, his first NFL game) I'd say they acquitted themselves pretty well.

I'll take the win for sure, but line play was not good. Bears D-line isn't very good either. We'll see how they do as the season progresses. There is a lot of room for improvement and I don't doubt that they can improve as these guys play more together. Pears looked really out of place though. I hope the rookies get better and can step in at guard...