EJ isn't good enough? Not just another EJ thread.

stevestojan

Just saw EJ at the airport a few min ago. We were going through security together. Had a few min while we were putting our shoes back on to congratulate him. I told him to '!@#$ up' the Phins next week. He smiled and told me they would!!

Just saw EJ at the airport a few min ago. We were going through security together. Had a few min while we were putting our shoes back on to congratulate him. I told him to '!@#$ up' the Phins next week. He smiled and told me they would!!

Was he at the airport with George Seifert?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say what the primary contributor to EJ;s cooling off was Hackett's decision to go into conservative play calling mode. Run on first down, run on second down, pass on third down;rinse and repeat.

Even Kelso mentioned that right before the scoring drive in the fourth quarter. He said it would be nice to mix it up for a change and play action pass on first down. They did and EJ looked much better again.

When Hackett mixed up run and pass on first down, he had the Bears on their heels. In between, the offense stalled.

http://espn.go.com/n.../2013/ej-manuel

Here are EJ's stats from last season... A mixed bag with high points (Carolina, 2nd Jets game, Jax), and low points (Pitts and Tampa)...

He had a nice game this game... He made that TD run look awful simple... He was cool under pressure and did what he needed to do... winning on the road is never easy... Hopefully he continues his good play against Miami...

Edited by DefenseWins

Chandler was HORRIBLE!! The INT that EJ threw was initially intended for Scott Chandler but he fell down, again

Lol was it. He wasn't even in the screen. He needs to be replaced. That drop was a catch that a good. Or basically standard TE makes. And he didnt. Why do people not realize we need a tight end. Chandler is a number 2. And that was ALMOST holding on the TD

To clarify, this is not the kind that gets displayed in Canton....

I'm sitting wondering what the anti EJ crowd would say if he threw for 500 yards on 40 passes with 7 TDs?

I just don't understand why it's not obvious to everyone that EJ has the potential to be a great nfl QB, and he's already shown flashes on several occasions. He's just gotta do more of it

Oh I would answer you truthfully, but I fear I'd piss a lot of people off.

He's in his second season, with no more than 11 starts.

He's looked good and he's looked bad. Bad shouldn't have been used on this past Sunday. EJ finished with an overall QBR of 91.7 and completed 72.7 of his passes!!

I was unimpressed in a way. I thought the play calling was not aggressive enough, but that's not on EJ

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

Lol was it. He wasn't even in the screen. He needs to be replaced. That drop was a catch that a good. Or basically standard TE makes. And he didnt. Why do people not realize we need a tight end. Chandler is a number 2. And that was ALMOST holding on the TD

It seems like every other team has even a backup TE that makes that catch. It is a weak link for this team and a TE is supposed to be safety blanket.

It seems like every other team has even a backup TE that makes that catch. It is a weak link for this team and a TE is supposed to be safety blanket.

I dont understand it. It hit him in the hands and he did no attempt to contortn his body. You watched Mike Williams GO GET IT. Robert Woods Go get it TWICE!!! And our starting, Mr 53 catch leading the team last year so he is irreplaceable this year, couldn't catch a ball because it wasnt right on the numbers... instead on the hands. He doesnt need to be cut but whats the point of a TE if he cant be counted on to make that grab. Do people see what Zach Miller did on that one handed grab thursday night; What Jason Witten has been doing for years and honestly think Chandler is capable of these plays?

True, but in the second half he completed 5 passes for 56 yards (half of that on one pass) at a rate of 55.6%, an int and a rating of 34.7.

Three of the Bills scoring drives began at mid field or better (one was at the Bears 7).

Whats your point?

Every team doesn't. Most don't.

It's week one. Chandler was our leading reciever last year. How bout we all slow down?

Oh, look who's now the voice of reason now. ROTFLMAO!

I do realize however this is really just an attempt to be a bit more subtle in making digs at EJ.

At least for now anyway. I'm sure they will be back up at panty-wad pitch at your earliest opportunity.

Huh?

I would say what the primary contributor to EJ;s cooling off was Hackett's decision to go into conservative play calling mode. Run on first down, run on second down, pass on third down;rinse and repeat.

Even Kelso mentioned that right before the scoring drive in the fourth quarter. He said it would be nice to mix it up for a change and play action pass on first down. They did and EJ looked much better again.

When Hackett mixed up run and pass on first down, he had the Bears on their heels. In between, the offense stalled.

Hackett went conservative because EJ threw a bad pick. I don't necessarily agree with doing that, but the decision had its own merits. To characterize it as Hackett screwing up isn't fair.

Chandler is trash... seriously he was a nice surprise 2 years ago but it's time to move on. He isn't a good blocker, has mediocre hands, and is slow as hell.

He was our best receiver last year. Who do you suggest we move on to? We drafted a TE and he's worse than Chandler. We took a shot on Moeaki and he can't participate in a practice without tearing or pulling a ligament.

If the O-line gels, I could see us going TE in the second round next year. But as for this year, we did the best we could to find a good TE.

Good TE's are hard to find. Chandler is an average TE and no one we've picked up has been able to challenge him. I can only name about 10 TE's I'd take over him, which isn't too bad.

Edited by FireChan

It's week one. Chandler was our leading receiver last year. How bout we all slow down?

I agree. I think Chandler is going to catch a lot of balls this year and a lot of them will be for first downs.

He is not the best TE in the league by any means, but people want to cut him for not catching a poorly thrown pass. I saw somebody say that a tight end should catch that pass 10 out of 10 times. I call B.S. It was not a great pass. It was really, really borderline catchable. If the pass was better as it should have been, it probably gets caught and we move the chains. You can't hang a guy for not catching that friggin ball. Give me a break.

And don't forget, the reason that EJ waltzed into the endzone untouched so he could do his little happy dance was because Chandler made a perfect (yup perfect) block. That is why EJ went in untouched. The guy is nowhere near as bad as some people on here are making him out to be. I admit he isn't playing great football, but I think he is just in a temporary slump. Historically he has been a much better player.

I agree. I think Chandler is going to catch a lot of balls this year and a lot of them will be for first downs.

He is not the best TE in the league by any means, but people want to cut him for not catching a poorly thrown pass. I saw somebody say that a tight end should catch that pass 10 out of 10 times. I call B.S. It was not a great pass. It was really, really borderline catchable. If the pass was better as it should have been, it probably gets caught and we move the chains. You can't hang a guy for not catching that friggin ball. Give me a break.

And don't forget, the reason that EJ waltzed into the endzone untouched so he could do his little happy dance was because Chandler made a perfect (yup perfect) block. That is why EJ went in untouched. The guy is nowhere near as bad as some people on here are making him out to be. I admit he isn't playing great football, but I think he is just in a temporary slump. Historically he has been a much better player.

Yes, Chandler is going to catch passes this year.

But he's even money to drop or fumble away several, as has been his M.O. since he got here. And he seems to bite it at the most critical moments. I just can't agree that "historically he's been much better." Historically, he's had some good moments but given his propensity to NOT make a play and his typically poor blocking (his block on Manuel's TD run is the exception), I think we should move on as soon as possible. He's a drive killer.

GO BILLS!!!

Yes, Chandler is going to catch passes this year.

But he's even money to drop or fumble away several, as has been his M.O. since he got here. And he seems to bite it at the most critical moments. I just can't agree that "historically he's been much better." Historically, he's had some good moments but given his propensity to NOT make a play and his typically poor blocking (his block on Manuel's TD run is the exception), I think we should move on as soon as possible. He's a drive killer.

GO BILLS!!!

I can see how someone could think this, but we should move on only when we have a clear upgrade, not when we only have hamstring Moeaki and Gragg.

Other than the big fumble last year, I don't recall him being known as a fumbler. I can't remember any other fumbles to be honest. Maybe he has some, but the tag "fumbler" isn't one I think he deserves to be labeled with.

I am surprised he isn't getting and catching more balls from EJ as I have always thought of him as a "huge radius" type of catcher. I recall him bailing out Fitz more than once and I expect he will do that for EJ too at some point. And don't get me wrong, I really don't care if the Bills replace the guy. I just want them to do it by replacing him with someone who is definitely better. The way some people whine about him on this board you would think he is the worst tight end in football. He is not even close to that. I think he is a very good pass catching tight end who is playing in a very temporary slump. It looks like he is going to be one of those guys who doesn't get credit for any good things he does but does get called out for every bad thing that happens. IF there is a better tight end out there who is available, then fine replace him.

Other than the big fumble last year, I don't recall him being known as a fumbler. I can't remember any other fumbles to be honest. Maybe he has some, but the tag "fumbler" isn't one I think he deserves to be labeled with.

I am surprised he isn't getting and catching more balls from EJ as I have always thought of him as a "huge radius" type of catcher. I recall him bailing out Fitz more than once and I expect he will do that for EJ too at some point. And don't get me wrong, I really don't care if the Bills replace the guy. I just want them to do it by replacing him with someone who is definitely better. The way some people whine about him on this board you would think he is the worst tight end in football. He is not even close to that. I think he is a very good pass catching tight end who is playing in a very temporary slump. It looks like he is going to be one of those guys who doesn't get credit for any good things he does but does get called out for every bad thing that happens. IF there is a better tight end out there who is available, then fine replace him.

He's not really a fumbler. One last year, two in 2012, only four in his career.

You're right that you don't give up on a guy unless you have a better replacement. And he did make a textbook block on EJs TD run, although you want your TE in there at the one yard line of course.

That said, on formations where he is split wide, I see no reason why they don't go four wide instead of three and Chandler, and put Goodwin in there, who is actually a decent blocker. The reason we could do this is for the first time, all four of our top WR are willing and decent to good blockers. That causes way more matchup problems IMO than Chandler.

I love this idea people have that the Bills have to have studs everywhere (or even above average guys everywhere.) It's just not going to happen. Chandler is by no means a bottom of the barrel TE, I'd say he's slightly below average for a starter, somewhere in the 15-17 range. Sure he makes mistakes but have you guys seen games not involving the Bills? Lots of guys miss assignments, drop balls, fumble, etc. It doesn't make them "trash" or someone who should be cut immediately.

Edited by MDH

Biggest one I remember was against SF in 2012. Fumbled when we were driving toward the end of the half and ruined any chance of getting back in it. He had another costly one that year that I don't recall off the top of my head. Last year vs. the Falcons for sure, cost us that game. He's had several in his time here.

But it's his untimely drops at big moments that have me convinced he's just not a money player.

GO BILLS!!!