New Respect For Brady

Rob's House

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/patriots-qb-tom-brady-gives-the-perfect-answer-to-retirement-question-214222058.html

Brees said he wants to play until he's 45. Manning has admitted he knows he's in the final stage of his career but doesn't have a set plan on when he'll walk away. But Brady gave the best answer of all, on his weekly radio appearance with WEEI's "Dennis & Callahan" show:

"When I suck, I’ll retire," Brady said, via the Boston Globe. "But I don’t plan on sucking for a long time."

I've hated Tom Brady, the football player, with the scorching fury of the fires of hell since 2007. I hate the Patriots' owner, coach, and whole organization for all their snotty arrogance and Tom Brady exemplifies it. But his answer to this question really makes me respect him a lot more. The way in which he expresses himself, while not always gracious, is a lot more honest than most other players, particularly QBs, and there's something very refreshing about it.

There's something a little more real about a guy that is okay with being a little full of himself, a guy who has an underlying insecurity that gives him a constant chip on his shoulder, and who expresses his emotion in spite of himself, as opposed to guys who pretend to be humble. Don't get me wrong, Peyton Manning's humble demeanor is classy and commendable, but Is it real? Do you really feel his fire?

I still hate him b/c he's a Pat, but as Tommy Tough guy becomes the old guy trying to hang on, I'm sure my hatred will fade and a part of me will pull for the guy just like I eventually did all the guys I grew up hating. For now though, I'd rather see him start sucking sooner than later.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mostly dislike him because he plays for a team in our division.

The biggest knock against him is his inability to swallow his pride at times. Like the year they had a perfect season until losing the Superbowl to the New York Giants. Then he and Randy Moss skipped the pro bowl right after that. And they wouldn't give press conferences. He was so embarrassed that they lost that he couldn't man up and just go give the other team credit for whipping his ass.

I think he is going to have a near "career best" year this year and the media will make a spectacle out of how a guy his age could be so good. It sucks to be in his division. It just sucks. At least we can tell the grand kids that we got to see him play in person a bunch of times at the Ralph.

I think he plays for another 4 years. His game starts losing its shine ever so slightly next year.

Just like Marino, i used to hate the guy, but have come to respect him. He probably is the best QB in the league and possibly ever. he makes average WR look awesome, demands top performance, and works his butt off preparing for every opponent. I always want to beat him, and the Pats, but I respect winners.

I loved his answer, and fully expect we'll keep seeing him for awhile. So much of his game along with Manning is between the ears so there is no reason why these guys can't keep playing. Like Favre, it will take some monster hit where he suffers a tough injury for him to leave. If you were him, wouldn't you? He loves the game, enjoys everything about it, has an excellent line keeping him from getting hit, always challenges for a championship each year, and while he plays will continue to make a boat load of cash each year.

My hope is not that he retires, but we put a team on the field that can beat him at his best.

I mostly dislike him because he plays for a team in our division.

The biggest knock against him is his inability to swallow his pride at times. Like the year they had a perfect season until losing the Superbowl to the New York Giants. Then he and Randy Moss skipped the pro bowl right after that. And they wouldn't give press conferences. He was so embarrassed that they lost that he couldn't man up and just go give the other team credit for whipping his ass.

I think he is going to have a near "career best" year this year and the media will make a spectacle out of how a guy his age could be so good. It sucks to be in his division. It just sucks. At least we can tell the grand kids that we got to see him play in person a bunch of times at the Ralph.

I think he plays for another 4 years. His game starts losing its shine ever so slightly next year.

How would you feel? I'd be pissed and wouldn't want to talk to anyone either.

How would you feel? I'd be pissed and wouldn't want to talk to anyone either.

I would be pissed. But I would still go give the other "superior" team credit where credit is due. It is called sportsmanship.

Brady couldn't do that because he went through that year thinking his crap didn't stink. Thankfully the Giants gave him and his team a dose of reality. The Giants were the better team that day. They deserved credit for the win. For all their arrogance throughout the season, the Patriots ended up getting out-played and out-coached. Love it.

Tom Brady is everything any football fan wants in his favorite team's QB.

He's had my respect since he took over for Bledsoe.

I wish he was the Bills' QB for all of these years. Anyone who says they don't wish the same is lying.

Newsflash - he wasn't that great last year, he really wasn't. A lot of people made excuses for him (playing with an injured hand, drops from a poor receiving corps) all of whaich was true but doesn't change that fact that Tom Brady did not play that well. I'm not saying he was poor, not at all, but he looked normal. Not outstanding, not elite.... indeed it was telling that come play-off time the Pats were basically a running team. Now I am not saying this is the end for him.... indeed I think he will have a bit of a bounce back this year... but I think it did for the first time say to me "he doesn't have long". I respect the hell out of the guy - he has been an outstanding Quarterback - I think this year and maybe 2 more are the limit of what he has playing at a good level.

https://www.yahoo.co...-214222058.html

I've hated Tom Brady, the football player, with the scorching fury of the fires of hell since 2007. I hate the Patriots' owner, coach, and whole organization for all their snotty arrogance and Tom Brady exemplifies it. But his answer to this question really makes me respect him a lot more. The way in which he expresses himself, while not always gracious, is a lot more honest than most other players, particularly QBs, and there's something very refreshing about it.

There's something a little more real about a guy that is okay with being a little full of himself, a guy who has an underlying insecurity that gives him a constant chip on his shoulder, and who expresses his emotion in spite of himself, as opposed to guys who pretend to be humble. Don't get me wrong, Peyton Manning's humble demeanor is classy and commendable, but Is it real? Do you really feel his fire?

I still hate him b/c he's a Pat, but as Tommy Tough guy becomes the old guy trying to hang on, I'm sure my hatred will fade and a part of me will pull for the guy just like I eventually did all the guys I grew up hating. For now though, I'd rather see him start sucking sooner than later.

For me it's the patriot fans I can't stand, and to be honest, if Tom Brady played in another division, I'm sure I would like him more. It would also be unbelievably agonizing to deal with this team if it were the dolphins that had brady and bellicheat, too, but since it's the historically lame-ass patriots, I tend to hate them a little less than I should.