Captains announced

eball

Eball has to be feeling vindicated after seeing this. It pretty much proves his original post was not a flat put troll post. Whether or not it was a deuce tempered bingo seven troll post remains to be seen.

I wonder if some of these bloggers ever reflect on what they wrote and feel dirty later on. I realize they guy is not reporting news, but what the heck is the point of writing the blurb to begin with? Ej isn't captain...so that means maybe he's viewed poorly by other players, or maybe not? You could write something about every situation and add absolutely nothing new to the dialogue. For instance---FJ is voted captain. Do we know if he was a unanimous choice? If he wasn't, does that reflect conflict I'n the locker room? It just might.

A qb not getting the role is almost always going to get a little attention. I'd guess going around the league, if you scratched out the obvious spots where jobs are up in the air you are looking at 90% of uncontested starters getting it.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is every starting QB in the NFL besides EJ a team captain?

@BobGlauber

Not a good look when the players elect six captains and the quarterback isn't one of them. A no-confidence vote for E.J. Manuel. #bills

I looked at last year's list and it seemed like most teams have their QB as a captain, except for some rookies and other guys who hadn't proven themselves. Like EJ.

http://sports.genius.com/Nfl-2013-team-captains-annotated

I looked at last year's list and it seemed like most teams have their QB as a captain, except for some rookies and other guys who hadn't proven themselves. Like EJ.

http://sports.genius...tains-annotated

IMO, EJ has enough to focus on with the task of establishing himself as a quality NFL QB. None of the Bills' 2014 captains are young players. This simply is not a real issue in my estimation.

IMO, EJ has enough to focus on with the task of establishing himself as a quality NFL QB. None of the Bills' 2014 captains are young players. This simply is not a real issue in my estimation.

I'm not sure it splits focus. Especially for a qb as they should be pretty naturally filling the role simply by job description. Like I said earlier - it might amount to nothing but it might be a sign that we will see other stuff start trickling out down the road. Really there's no positive spin though.

I agree 100%.

Summary: EJ didn't do enough last year to prove that he is the guy. He wasn't a disaster either and is going to get another shot this year. Everything else is just noise.

Can we not just merge this entire forum into one big EJ thread?

Congrats to the players that were voted as Captains btw... :thumbsup:

I think it's very interesting that Graham and Spikes were voted on...No question they have come in and made an impression on their teammates... B-)

Can we not just merge this entire forum into one big EJ thread?

Congrats to the players that were voted as Captains btw... :thumbsup:

I think it's very interesting that Graham and Spikes were voted on...No question they have come in and made an impression on their teammates... B-)

Both veterans who have been major contributors to playoff contenders and/or Super Bowl winning teams. Both are excellent choices on a young football team.

He may have received votes, we don't know the vote count. I wish he was voted a captain. But the team as a whole May want to see more before voting him over the other 6, all proven vets at their positions. It shows there isn't a sense of complacency but rather hey kid, let's see what you can do this season and maybe you can earn a captain spot.

I want EJ to improve and to become a legitimate top 10 QB by all measures. He certainly has this year and probably next year to demonstrate if he is on that trajectory or not.

But in his last post game press conference of his 3 for 7 performance, he took the position "I did good, but the receivers dropped the ball". Regardless of whether or not that is true, it sure isn't going to win many votes for captain from the offense. Leadership involves personal accountability. And their is a general perception, fostered by the Bills management actions and words, that EJ is somewhat coddled. All of the players do this for a living. When the head coach says "everyone is competing for a job" and its patently obvious to everyone that everybody excludes EJ, that doesn't win him many votes either.

He is young and hopefully it all falls together for him. For what its worth, the Jets solved this problem by eliminating having captains a couple of years ago.

I love these kind of Rorschach test threads. The negative responses from the 'usual suspects' are a hoot...

Glad you're amusing yourself with this. But folks have every right to be disappointed. EJ was a three-time captain at FSU and there is little question (in my mind, at least) that OBD hoped he would come in and take charge of the huddle and the locker room early in his career. Yes the players ended up picking vets, but there have been enough rumblings to suggest that there is disappointment that EJ hasn't asserted himself as a leader in the clubhouse. It doesn't make me a hater to say that. Maybe you're an ostrich.